Poor Performance with RTX 3080 and 3900X CPU " Limited by MainThread"

I have also this Issue with my Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070 S

no matter on which graphic setting i have the msfs 2020 such as low medium high or high end. I have Always between 20 - 30 FPS on the Ground and
in the Air between 30 - 35 FPS.

hopefully they will fix this in an future Update.

Or is my CPU to slow. is the CPU also the bottle neck in my system or the part that limits my System in MSFS 2020 ?

1 Like

Even with my high-end rig I have the very same problems. Specs below.
This sim is an utter disaster!

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370
CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz
Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB
Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004
CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

1 Like

Trees in photogrammetry areas at low altitude absolutely kill my performance as well. I usually get 30+ fps at altitude or in autogen areas, sometimes up to the 40s, but going low over big cities and airports can drop into the mid 20s. Flying over Central Park in Manhattan drops it to 15 fps or below; similar results seen with heavily tree-laden areas of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

This is with ā€˜high-endā€™ settings and 70% or 80% render scaling (either way itā€™s quite slow in this specific area) on Ryzen 3700X with RTX 2070 Super on a 4K display.

Dropping ā€œtreesā€ quality to ā€œlowā€ helps but it absolutely decimates the draw distance for autogen trees flying over the country, which really hurts the look when flying between cities.

Trees in autogen area do not slow down when close-up, even at ā€œhighā€ or ā€œultraā€.

1 Like

I also have 10900k and rtx3080 and I have terrible vr performance. Soooo jumpy and stuttery even though fps is not bad. I have CV1 oculus. Glad itā€™s not just me

1 Like

I have an RTX 3070 and do not use VR, but the stuttering is bad for me as well. FPS is fine, but the stutters are terrible

1 Like

I canā€™t work out if itā€™s oculus drivers, Nvidia drivers, or fs2020 poor optimization. Maybe all 3. Icefall xplane 11 took years to get stable I hope thatā€™s not the case here too #=(

I can nothing say about VRā€¦ for this we have also a seperate [category] (Virtual Reality (VR) - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums). So, the sentence I wrote was for normal monitor users.

But my understanding is, that the Sync-Topic is same/similar. The main difference is, that you need in VR realy higher fps , compared with a monitor, because user-dizziness. But because two images must be rendered, the hardware have much more to do and thus it is more difficult to reach higher fps.

Same here with a 3080, i7 10700k 32 Gb 3600mhz ram.

1 Like

Same boat. I have a mishmosh of setting changes to get it at a constant 30fps tho.

Sim is CPU bound. Increase render scaling, helps a bit for me.

1 Like

I have an I7 9700K with all cores overclocked to 4.9ghz / 32gbRAM / 970 EVO Plus and a ASUS 3880 that is overclocked as well.

My render scale matches my 4K monitor 3840x2160 with every thing else set at max.

The A320 = 35FPS
The C152 = 50FPS

Not sure what CPU to move up to in order to get better performance. I keep looking at AMD but am I really chasing my own tailā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve actually managed to get ā€œokā€ performance on my PC (in VR - Oculus CV1) by limiting the oculus to 30hz and making sure that all my settings add up to no more than 33ms combined.
Once you go past 33ms you can no longer have 30FPS and stutters appear again.

The main things that I set to ensure <33ms are:
Rendering scale to 70 or 80 (with oculus asw auto and SS at 180-200%). This depends on the aircraft type.
See CptLucky8ā€™s very useful guidesā€¦I use the above setting for the TBM with its EFIS and high speed.
If I use the Mooney I can up the render scale somewhat.
Draw distance at 70 for TBM/ IFR work and 150+ for low and slow VFR.

RTX3080
i9700k @5.0 on all cores
32GB 3000
M.2 system and MSFS directory

Dear Sir,
I have similar Dell T3500 config: Xeon X5687, 48ram, zotac mini gtx 1080, nvme950 + 860 sdd, win 10 latest build and Logitech G940 joystick. This machine I have also for more then 10 years with some upgrades. It never let me down. Still working like charm.

So, I play Msfs on Medium settings, on Dell U2711 res. 2560 x 1440 and I can achieve only aprox 21fps (in large cities 16 fps) with fbw-A32nx. With Cessna or similar around 25-27fps.
I have tried many config combinations, but no more fps were achieved.

I am kindly ask You if some advice is available from Your side to improve performance and fps.
Thank You
With kind regards, Marko

Turn up render scaling or other GPU-intensive settings to push load over to the GPU

10 year old CPU, and a server CPU at that. Thatā€™s going to give terrible single threaded performance, which is needed for this sim.
Only advise I can give it to get new hardware.

2 Likes

If he turns render scaling and GPU-intensive settings up, it could work, but it wonā€™t be great

Thanx. I am aware of that, but at this moment I have no attention to buy new hardware only for msfs to achieve few fps more. My post was attended to a guy whit similar PC configuration and he is stating that he is playing at ultra settings with no problemosā€¦ So, my question was how it can beā€¦ as I can see only difference is in resolution as I play it on higher resolution. Difference between our ancient Cpus are not so hugeā€¦

Thanx a lot. I was trying always to lower render scaling according to some online performance guides to achieve few more fps. Ill try your advice and let U know the result. Otherwise I am happy with 24-25 fps without stutter which I can achieve with deafult planesā€¦ but I like flying A32NX so much and would like to have smoother feelingā€¦ thnx once more

Hi there.
After few days I was experimented with several options to get better performance.
Also I have played a lot with Render scale option, setting it from 20 to 200. Between 20 and 140 I have no impact on performance, but after 140 - 150 performanse got worse, lower 5-7 fps and stutter.
What I concluded that AI traffic has a very big impact on performanse in my case. After I lower AI Traffic to 20, I got 5 fps more, no stutter, overall 22-25 fps FBW A320 cockpit view, KLAX flying full pattern, mixed medium-high settings, 1440p, 100mbps optic internet connection.
External views almost 32-35 fps.
Oh, and Nvidia driver settings back to default.
Thanx for adviceā€¦
So, ancient Dell precision T3500 with X5687 and gtx 1080 can still do pretty good job in MSFSā€¦

I have the exact same setup. I am running very smoothly, donā€™t trust task manager for stats. Are you using oculus tray tool?