PRO-ATC/SR - Professional Air Traffic Control is out

Thanks for investigating for me it’s much appreciated.
So basically I guess it means I can’t do anything about it.

1 Like

It’s a bit weird. I’m not sure why those VHF frequencies are listed - many of them bear no relationship to the 8.33 kHz spacing ones, and if the airport is using 8.33 kHz spacing then why have the others listed anyway?

You’ll notice that it has a lower section for 8.33kHz as well as the upper 25kHz frequencies.

No , not really.

It happens quite often actually, at larger airports, and you can try this yourself.

Spawn at a large airport, and have a look at the ATC menu. You may see more than one entry for Ground. Both of these will work, and they will be on the charts. But if you look at the Navigraph data you may see many more than those two frequencies. You can even manually tune to them, and the top of the ATC menu will alter to indicate you have tuned to that airport, but the lower ATC menu won’t update to reflect this.

I believe the airport scenery would need to be altered. For example, I don’t think I’ve sever seen an an airport in the sim with more than one tower frequency, but they exist.

It makes me crazy to run the makerwys.exe every time when an airport addon is installed/uninstalled or a new AIRAC data is released. It takes at least two hours to finish. Is it really necessary to do that?

Im interested in proatc, mainly for the hold and waypoint shortcut feature, currently using Pilot2atc.

Can makerunways read infos from airports bought from the ms marketplace?
Can text to speech like the one from cereproc used for atc output instead of the recorded voices? ( heard them in a video, the ones were really really bad. Different loudness and voices mixed in one sentence)

No because they’re encrypted but I think there are plans (SU10?) for SDK methods that would allow those config files to be read. Not sure when/if makerwys would be updated to take advantage.

The mixed voices, makerwys, and watching the various yt streams where this is used and can observe problems I’ve decided to hold off purchase. It seems like there is active development and responses in discord/forum so hopefully it will improve but seems like more trouble than worth right now.

I’m living with default ATC and using liveatc.net for “background atc chatter”

1 Like

As today was last day to get this with the slight discount I decided to purchase as I couldn’t stand default ATC anymore (losing Azure every flight, either atc or pilot voice stopping, constant “expedite cliimb” when trying to descend). I had previously spent a day with both p2atc and pf3 demos and didn’t like them at all for various reasons (mainly the 90s-style UI and complexity of getting things configured for flights).

Having monitored the discord forum and watched various livestreams of pro-atc I knew many of the issues and bought on the hopes that they will deliver on promised improvements.

I spent the day with it and I like it much better than the alternatives I tried. The UI is actually pretty nice and I did a half dozen flights (using non-Marketplace airports) today in different parts of the world and it mostly worked and got me to the ground as I would expect. Certainly worked much better than default ATC and was easy to setup flights (Simbrief import worked fine for me). It could use more variety (and consistency) of voices and there are definitely bugs but I really enjoying using it. The SR part actually worked really well and it was fun being able to speak to ATC. It recognizes AI traffic (with appropriate chatter) just like default ATC and regional (although could use more regions) random background chatter.

In short, I do not regret purchasing and will continue to use it, but hope it will get improvements as promised.

7 Likes

Does anyone of you know why the background chatter sometimes doesn’t activate? Am I the only one this happens to? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong? On some flights the background chatter works fine, but on others it stays silent. Even sometimes it remains in silence and begin to work at midflight. It’s strange.

I was just exploring the “background atc” system of this yesterday. If you go to options → data you will see a pretty extensive customization UI for background atc with different sound profiles that can be assigned to countries/areas in a world map.

The profiles themselves match to folders under \sound\atc for each region and within those are additional folders with names like “Dep”, “App”, “Twr” which contains the .wav files that are used depending on which frequency you are turned to (departure, arrival, tower, etc.)

I believe what is happening is that some regions/countries don’t have .wav files corresponding to the frequency you are tuned (i.e. missing folder “dep” for example so you don’t hear background atc on departure). It’s supposed to default to “UK” background chatter if region is not assigned.

Yes, this is a complex subsystem of pro-atc/sr :slight_smile: but the engineer in me has fun decoding how all of this works. You could add your own background atc as well if you had lots of .wav files and wanted to set all this up.

TL;DR - Probably a bug specific to frequency (tower, depature, etc) and region and I’ve experienced it too. For regions that have coverage I normally use liveatc.net and turn off Pro-atc/sr background. But it’s useful for many regions like UK, etc.

I’m discovering there is a lot of depth to this program. I’ve had a dozen more flights and continue to be impressed. I’ve played around with customizing the voices to get rid of the annoying ones and it’s improved the consistency of atc voices as well. Even has a cool checklist feature I just discovered with co-pilot (for 737, fenix) that works like other addons such as fsfo.

1 Like

Very useful, thank you.
But my problem is: I am, for example, in ENGM (Oslo airport). I have configured it whithin “Global” profile. I should listen the “clr”, “gnd”, “dep”, etc. “global” background profile. But it sounds nothing till mid flight, when suddenly chatter background comes to life. And frecuencies I use are what ProAct itself gives me. This profile has all folders wich you speak, but it sounds nothing as I said. And it happens the same with all profiles. I will investigate deeper, I must have something misconfigured.

And yes, this program has a lot of customization chances. Is a world itself. Very interesting to explore.

I just tried a few flights ENGM-ESSA (using the great flightsim.to ENGM airport and gsx profile) and was able to get background ATC chatter the entire flight. What I did was assign the “NL” profile by selecting a whole region as shown below. The background atc ui is definitely a bit fiddly though. I really like the subtle atc windows (partly transparent) that appear with pro-atc/sr. I just leave the atc window up the whole flight.

1 Like

Great!! This fixed my problem. Thank you.

I like it, my question is work it also with AIG?

While I do not use AIG (I’ve always had problems getting it to work) and can’t comment directly, I have seen posts in official pro-atc/sr forums of people using it successfully.

it is compatible with the 737-800?

Yes, I use pmdg 737-800 most of the time (and sometimes the -600 and Fenix). Officially the UI only lists -600 and -700 and I just configured the -700 folder to point to -800.

It will do certain co-pilot things (configurable if you don’t want it) like automatically set alt., hdg., etc. as well a check-list feature where co-pilot will configure things like lights, flaps, etc… The commands to configure -700 and -800 I assume are the same which is why it works.

Thanks for your explanation, so do you consider it is worth it? I’m interested in buy it.

I like it much better than default ATC (and the demos of pilot2atc and pf3 I tried) but it does have bugs. At this point there are quite a few recent you tube videos if you search for pro-atc/sr that show it being used and reviewed. I would watch those first before buying. It’s unfortunate they don’t have a demo version.

Yes, it works with AIG