Radeon 5700XT Driver Timeout

This afternoon I rolled mine back to the 20.10.1 release. Flew close to 3 hours tonight without a single CTD.

Well, I follow the advice and roll back to October version to. So far so good. Is really disappointing amd lunch a new driver without fix this timeout issue. Honestly I am starting being disappointed with amd. I don’t remember have this kind of problem with nvidia, and I used nvidia for several years.

1 Like

heh, tell that to all the people having issues with VR and the last couple of versions of NVidia’s drivers. Both companies have hits and misses on the drivers. AMD had a big miss when the 5700XT first launched, but sorted it out.
This current driver timeout issue is a weird one. As I said, I had no problems for months, then 2 weeks of some weird issues, and I’m now running without issues again for 2 weeks (on the latest drivers).

And how comes that this weird issue is only with msfs? I can play DCS, XP, Il2, AMS2 etc. for hours without any issue in VR. All run and look great. Its clearly an Asobo thing on how VR is implemented. Im using the steam version and therefore steamvr. It is steamvr that is freezeng after a while. The Driver Timout seems to be gone since 21.1.1, or at least it doesnt restart anymore. After all it wasnt supposed to run on other headsets than WMR according to the first announcments. Glad they expanded it and hope it will be solved with one of the next updates.

Asus 5700XT, Ryzen 5800XT, 32GB DDR 4 @ 3600, Gigabite X570 Aorus Ultra, HTC Cosmos

Well, I didn’t had any issue with nvidia like I have now with amd. To be honest, I don’t use vr, so I can’t talk about that, but this driver issue starts being stressful, since November I can’t even play Ets2, or warthunder without a driver crash. I retur to October driver and no more issues, in msfs after sometimes 10 min with GA the driver crash, other times, if I start a 6 or 7 or more hours flight from Paris to New York for example the problem starts randomly between 1hour and 4hour flight. 4 days ago, I can’t even play warthunder, the drivers was constantly crashing, sending reports doesn’t matter to much because they lunch another driver and the issue still there.

i m using 20.8.3 and cero problems with MSFS and 5700xt

I had zero problems with msfs before the US-update and the introduction of VR. Will give older drivers a try. Funny my son had to do the same with his Nvidia drivers lately. Seems to be increasing more difficult to write stable drivers with hardware constantly pushing the limits nearer the physical limits…

I had a 1070 before this 5700xt. I can’t remember a CTD in any game with that card. I have had all kinds of crashes with the 5700xt since I bought it. Now MSFS is by far the worst game, but I have had driver timeouts with other games as well. Much much less infrequent. For this reason, I did all kind of stability testing on my machine with no issues found. Reinstalled the game, used driver cleaner tools, disabled XMP profiles, under volted my graphics card, etc. Nothing helped at all except for the driver roll back. So based on all of this, I don’t think it is an Asobo issue, I think it is an AMD issue at least in my case.

1 Like

I rolled my drivers back to the October ones Saturday night and have not had a single CTD/driver timeout so far!

I’ve got a flight time of 173 hours with the latest MSFS update and the 20.12.1 drivers (5700 XT, 4K/Ultra, Standard profile). The driver timeouts appear less often than previously, but they still appear when flying longer flights (live weather & traffic, B747-8, IFR). What’s even more funny about AMD, the bundled Assassin’s Creed Valhalla caused a driver timeout 3 minutes (!) after the first launch while still being in the game menu. Really embarrassing.

The newest driver, 21.1.1, is still causing occasional driver timeouts.

I’ve had these occasionally as well.
After increasing my virtual memory, the timeouts seem to have stopped. Maybe something to try for you as well.

Finally…Solved CTD issues… for those us with < 32 GB ram - Self-Service / PC & Hardware - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thanks for the heads up, but I’m a bit skeptical about virtual memory in my case - I’m using 64GB at 3600Mhz.

To be honest, I was skeptical as well, since even though I’m on 16GB of 3200MHz memory, I rarely see the sim taking up more than 10-12GB outside of photogrammetry area’s, but it seems it has done the trick.

I went for 4096 MB / 24576 MB max.

Thank you very much it helped with my 5700xt getting from 100% every flight timeout crashes to 0% in whole last month!

I’m going to claim this issue fixed for me by just rolling back my AMD drivers for the GPU.

No driver timeout or vcruntime140 CTDs in almost 2 weeks!

I’ll try it out then. By the way, the newest driver release 21.2.1 is still causing CTDs, but without the driver timeout dialog. :rofl:

2 Likes

Same thing here… It’s really strange because i have a Radeon RX580 8GB, 16GB DDR4 2666MHz and a Ryzen 5 1600AF. Basically everything on my pc is on the recommended specs exept for the GPU (and the RX580 is really close to the RX590 in terms of performance), this should not be happening… The CTDs are always random to me, it happens on the menu, on the loading screen, on the airport gate, on the raunway, on the air, on a big plane like the 747, on a small plane like the XCub, with clear weather, with litarally a tropical cyclone and anywhere on the world… I really don’t understand why this is happening. Oh and btw I play on medium settings.

1 Like

Gigabyte 5700XT OC constantly crashing for me with driver timeout…I’ve used DDU and installed latest drivers yes this is still happening only with MSFS. I’ve also changed Tdr delay/2 Power connectors to GPU/ Not overclocked the card/ Windows latest version/ Page file on SSD… yet nothing seems to work… What is going on ?!

Don’t use the latest drivers…roll your drivers for the 5700XT back to the October version.