Really bad performance - low FPS and stuttering

Really bad performance - low FPS and stuttering

Hey folks,

I’ve been experiencing very low performance lately altough my PC is quite good. Just a few hours ago, i was flying the PMDG 737 and suddendly heavy stutter and one-digit FPS kicked in. Before, my performance was relatively bad compared to poeple with worse components.

Before I registered here, I read multiple threads for a possbile increase of performance in the sim. I watched Videos, changed values in regedit and Videocard driver etc. And yes, i changed my settings multiple times. I tried low settings and mid setting with pretty bad results - almost no changes. I deleted many things from community folder and checked for viruses. I disabled programs in backround - i’am desperate.

What happened a few hours ago:
I was streaming for a friend in the PMDG 737 to Istanbul. The Performance in Zürich is quite normal for my system, which i think is kind of weird for the components. Anyway, i’ll link the Video below and will give timestamps so you can see.

1:37:00 - first stutters appear - which i’ve never experienced before
1:45:54 - Plane starts to bank like crazy (probably because of bad performance and game can’t process AP inputs) - never experienced before
1:47:37 - I change weather because i think it’s just turbulence.
*1:58:52 - I went into the settings and check *
2:14:21 - I open the taskmanger and check for Performance (not much open, “only” 28 of GPU and 48% of CPU and yes, I know this is the average for all threads)
2:16:36 - I open the resource monitor.
2:19:25 - Enabling the FPS count in MSFS.
2:22:44 - I’m opening HWMonitor to check for temps.
2:25:48 - Changing the settings to low.
2:36:32 - CTD when trying to enter ESC-Menu

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (OC 3900 MHz)
ASUS RTX 2080
32 GB RAM (3200 MHz)
2TB SSD (500GB free storage)
All drivers updated.

If needed I can provide the msinfo32 and dxdiag. I’m really desperate and would really appreaciate help. Sorry if this is too much text, but I want to provide as much information as possible.

Thank you very much and kind regards.

4 Likes

If it was happening to me, I’d revert every single setting back to defaults, reboot, switch to Medium settings and see how that goes.

I have the impression that it is the vram which is saturated and which therefore takes up the ram which is much slower

1 Like

Do you know how to turn on your fps counter in developer mode?

Yes, I do. You can actually see me do that in the recording (2:19:25).

My bad I see it now. Open Nvidia control panel and verify that FXAA and MFSS are disabled. What are your settings for traffic sliders and TLOD?

Your CPU is getting killed, and that’s why your GPU isn’t being utilized.

1 Like

Did you try reproducing this behavior by flying one of the stock aircraft without any 3rd party content installed at all?

Don’t forget the standard things like deleting the rolling cache and other cached content.

There is also a HPET related FPS killer we discovered with Ryzen systems (though it was on the F-18), so check your HPET settings.

Undo any overclocking too. Your screen is clearly glitching badly.

1 Like

This might be the answer to your question
I was struggling with stutters, low FPS and sound cracks but this helped me a ton…

1 Like

Try the following as a baseline to see how your performance is:

. Set graphics to medium preset
. Multiplayer to OFF (Group Only)
. Air Traffic to OFF
. Weather to Preset (Clear or whatever to test)

If you are getting decent performance with these settings, start to tweak from there.
In graphics, Terrain LOD has a huge impact, so keep that at 100. Tweak the rest as needed one at a time, test with the developer mode on and FPS counter showing to see the effect of each setting change in isolation. Bloom/DOF/MotionBlur/Lens correction/Lens flare set all to OFF. Not really needed.

See the graph here as to which settings have biggest FPS impact: Microsoft Flight Simulator most important graphics options - every video setting benchmarked

Traffic seems to have a big impact at the moment to me as well, so only turn it on if you really need it. As above, test it in isolation to see the effects.

You can also make some tweaks to NVidia Control panel for MSFS but these should be minimal too. Depends on monitor refresh type (GSync etc) and VSYNC settings. I use GSync + VSync on, which for some reason seems to work better.
Ditto for Win 11 settings, HAGS OFF and Game Mode OFF work better for me, but ymmv.

1 Like

Seems like your hardware can’t handle the sim. Try to reduce graphic settings to low or medium and traffic off.

I’ve uninstalled my game and reinstalled over night. It helped a little and I’ll start to adjust the settings to that. Still, I honestly can’t believe my components are that bad. I know some poeple that have components that are slightly worse and they still manage to have better performance than I do. I really don’t wanna spend a few hundred bucks on a new Ryzen CPU.

But it wasn’t an issue before. Why is it happening now? I just tried my GPU with and without OC and with OC it runs with 1-3 more FPS.

Yes, I did that yesterday as well. The Performance is pretty much the same.

Wasn’t a problem before and runs smooth on any other game.

I know that Video and tried almost everything except the driver reinstall. Don’t know if i should try tho.

From one day to the other? It used to run quite good. And tbh i think a 2080 is quite a good card and should handle the sim even on low settings.

Did that with the same results basically. Worked my way through all those settings and still manage to get quite low FPS for my taste.

Will keep that in mind and will try to adjust to that.

Hi all, what you are describing is impacting hundreds of others (likely far more, I am only mentioning the # who have replied to the post below that is very popular and blew up after SU9 clearly caused a problem that is causing main thread limited induced studders and low fps in general). No solution in sight yet from MS/Asobo and so folks are doing all of the things you mentioned in this post and in the hundreds linked below, basically all doing the same thing which is to lower the load on the CPU by turning settings down or off which is a giant workaround as the core cause is not known yet. SU9 seemed to be where it started, and it was for me too. In my case I turned AI traffic from 50 down to 15 and that brought back much of the performance loss (CPU hammering stopped) but it’s still there a bit and I still have studders that weren’t there before. And I turned off multiplayer, live weather and did all of the other snake oil things that generally are quoted in the long post below to lower CPU intensive and internet intensive activities. Hundreds of users doing QA here are all pointing to something in SU9 that is hammering the CPU far more than before and Asobo has no answer as of now but they are investigating it.

4 Likes

Check out this thread too with 700+ votes already…pointing to a possible memory leak that slows performance over time and can cause CTD on longer flights.

3 Likes

Make sure your OS is healthy.

Running DISM and SFC regularly, especially after Windows updates, is essential. Computers don’t just “decide” to stop working, but you would be amazed at how often System files become corrupted.

Yes, the traffic load in SU9 is far heavier than it has been in the past, so reducing traffic sliders to like, 5 and TLOD to 100, then maxing out your other graphics settings really is the first step. Deleting PG cities from the content manager helps too.

SU9 is not without problems, I have not been super impressed with it. But your mainthread being that overwhelmed is either a broken OS, your CPU dependent settings are too high for the current sim version, or you have incompatible software. Why it didn’t do it before is irrelevant.

1 Like

All the insane tips to reinstall, disassemble or buy a new system, even though it was working just a short time ago. :joy:

Never touch a running system !!! Never! (Unless you are masochist and like to do it)

It will suddenly magically repair itself with a stealthy patch.

4 Likes

Crazy, huh?

He almost has the same system and experiences the same issues. This this is probably a thing only Asobo can fix.

So all methods of FPS increase by tweaking around is mostly useless, since it’s mostly tha games fault. Like I mentioned, I reinstalled MSFS over night - which was horrible - and temporarily managed to get some frames back. Thanks for the response tho.

1 Like

I’ve noticed my MOUSE has caused all of the performance and degredation issues. When I disconnect my mouse, my Game runs as it should. When i reconnect my mouse pan around, zoom in, etc, it gets extremely buggy again. I know its not my computer because all the rest of my games run just fine. I’m completely outraged with Asobo because it’s 100% their coding that is definitely causing a memory leak

3 Likes

I have a

Intel I7 10th gen 8-core
Gefore 3060 16gb Vram
16gb RAM
1TB ssd

and I can barely run it on high settings. Runs mostly full frames on medium, but constantly stutters. Can’t figure this out. I even screwed with the Nvidia control panel, and it barely changde anything. Can barely run it on VR on medium. This is ridiculous.

From what I read on other forums, and from personal experience as well, this is or has become a real common problem for many people. On several occasions, at odd times, shortly after starting a flight, or after one or more hours, something happens that drops the fps to almost zero.
And, at other times, I can fly flawlessly for several hours. It is unlikely a hardware issue as it happened with my 2080 Ti, and now with my new 3080 Ti.
My CPU is an I9 9900K, overclocked or not…same results.
When this happens, and sometimes during the flight as well, I monitor the temperatures and nothing is overheating or even close to it.
One more thing…the total freezing or extremely low fps sometimes happens when or after I switch to VR, or vice versa, or sometimes when I tried to change something in the options menu, or even try to change the weather.

Basically, this is a totally random event unrelated to anything in particular. The task manager shows MSFS being pretty much idle and the only way to get out of it is to restart MSFS and often, everything works great after that.

I think MS/Asobo should stop thinking that this is a user configuration/hardware issue and take a hard look at the coding. Something is definitely not right here.

5 Likes

So basically it’s not a hardware problem in particular.
Well, i think it’s mostly up to Asobo/Microsoft to deal with this Issue.
To be honest: I’ve reinstalled my MSFS and the Results are quite significant. My game runs quite good now. I’ve also installed every add-on from scratch and it was worth it.
Also, if you have “Force active LOD” enabled, disable it. I used to have it enabled because of Jetways not loading and this takes some performance as well.

Here is a stream after I reinstalled the game: