[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

It’s gonna be fuuuuuuun! I can’t wait to show you guys what we conjured up!

12 Likes

Will we happen to see this before Christmas?

Unfortunately not. There’s still too much to do before release. We’re currently aiming for some time early next year.

2 Likes

Oh wow, can’t imagine this plane getting much better! Already blown away and if there’s even more to come that’s amazing! Can’t wait for release!

I would urge extreme caution when dealing with Wing42. Their history of publishing pretty pictures and elaborate specifications for features that are never actually released is legendary. I’m speaking of the Vega for P3D which was sold back in 2019 for $35.00. It was sold as an “early access” then abandoned. The Wing42 forum was then shut down for about two years and nothing was heard from this developer…not one word during those years. It seemed to me like utter contempt for the customers who took a chance on this developer.

His past practice is to bite off far more than he can chew …then leave his customers behind…without a word.

6 Likes

Time will tell…thanks for the warning, duly noted, but I am still buying the 247 when they release it. Their Bleriot is excellent.

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m sorry you feel this way. I can understand your frustration and, at least to a degree, share this frustration with you. I don’t think though that you’re doing the Vega justice. As she’s sold right now, she’s more feature-rich than some 95% of aircraft in the FSX/P3D market and it was always important to me to set the price to what I think reflects the current status of development. As far as I can remember, I never had a customer complain about the price tag, once they purchased the aircraft - quite the opposite really.

If you ever tuned in to any of the podcasts or interview I did, you’ll notice that I talk about the Vega frequently - it is something that I specifically request to do. If you open the FAQ on our website, the incomplete state of the Vega is the first topic discussed. The info page of the FSX/P3D Vega contains a EA warning label with information on the development status. I would think that with all of this, I’ve been quite transparent about what’s going on.

But just to reiterate in short:
Wing42 is my full-time work and my first and foremost concern is to keep the business running. When MSFS released I had two options. Either finishing up the work on the P3D/FSX Vega for the next year and then close shop, because there’s no customers on the old platforms anymore, or moving on to the new one to keep making awesome aircraft for flight sim for more years to come. The choice was a rather obvious one to me, although I’m not happy to leave the Vega hanging as she is.

My advise would be to treat Wing42 with the same caution as you treat any other developer. Check out the reviews and watch some let’s-fly-videos before you buy. Especially if your money is tight, it’s always a good idea to hold back on your purchase until you had the chance to see what others think of a product. That said - the Wing42 Boeing 247D will blow your socks off, I’m sure of it. And just like with the Blériot XI, she will be finished.

22 Likes

I think a relatively simple solution would be to build up an MSFS Vega and offer it to those who bought it for the older platforms at a significant discount - but what do I know

4 Likes

That is exactly my plan! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I bought this addon in June of 2018. On 4/26/19 you released v. 0.85 which had so many unfinished features that interfered with basic operations that the plane was unflyable. You can’t really say that it is more feature-rich than other planes when the features are unfinished and do not work.

On July 26, 2019 you emailed your customers that v0.9.0 was “close to finish”. It never was…nor was anything further heard from you.

It’s not surprising that you never had a complaint since you shut down the forum on your website when questions about the Vega were raised. You have since deleted all the posts on that forum. Plenty of questions and requests for refunds were raised on other major forums which you chose to ignore.

Can you please explain why nothing else was communicated to your customers until you “re-opened” at the release of MSFS in order to sell an entirely new aircraft that you had been working on?

The fact that working on something else was more profitable for you is hardly a good reason to ignore your paying customers so completely for years.

I think you owe your customers a far more detailed …and time specific…accommodation than you have offered and I would like to hear it.

4 Likes

I was looking forward to the 247, and a possible MSFS version of the Vega, but this is quite alarming to hear. How @GMVitus responds will go a long way toward determining if I’ll be spending any money with Wing42.

1 Like

While “more profitable” is technically correct, I think what he’s saying is that he needed to shift attention to a project that would keep the lights on and the money coming in. The choice was between a slim chance at eventually finishing the Vega or none at all.

I’m inclined to give the benefit of the doubt because a long time ago I created a similar situation. In 1989 I co-created what I think was the first commercial flightsim publication. It was a monthly tabloid called “PC Pilot” (no relation to the big, succesful one that came along later). We got 1500 subscribers off our initial launch. That was pretty good under the circumstances but just under the threshold that would have covered our costs. We were able to sustain it for five issues, hoping to get enough incremental revenue to push ourselves over the threshold and keep publishing, but we couldn’t afford to both do another promotion and also produce the issues that people had already paid for. At the five-issue mark, we couldn’t afford to print another issue or pay our writers (who included Charlie Gulick and Pete Bonani, for those old enough to remember). We sent out a letter telling subscribers that we were reorganizing and meant to resume. That was true. We spent several months trying to get financial backing so we could get back to work. We failed, and eventually we had to go on and do other things to pay for food and rent. The letter was the last thing our subscribers heard from us. They were left having paid for as many as seven issues that they never received. I still feel bad about it, but reality got in the way and we ran out of alternatives.

The reason I’m telling the story is to say that not every business mishap is a matter of bad intent.

Now, all this happened in the days before the internet. Social media rage wasn’t yet a thing. The few people we heard from were understanding and sympathetic. To my surprise, no one ever complained - even years later, when I met up with a few subscribers in other flightsim circles. Today it would have been different - I suppose I would have been called out as a thief and a fraudster and raked over the coals. That seems to be the way. Not sure which is better - maybe it’s a good thing that consumers have a voice and it could be I deserved the treatment and still do. But in my mind there were some mitigating circumstances.

I do agree that Vitus could have done a better job of communicating, and that taking down the forums wasn’t necessarily the best move. Transparency is usually better. But… based on my own experience, I"m willing to wait and see what the 247 turns out to be. He completed the Bleriot, to good reviews (I haven’t flown it) and I’ll look for reviews of the 247 when it launches. If it’s viable I’ll pay for it, and I’ll keep an eye out for an MSFS Vega at some point (paid for that one too in P3D, so I get it).

Let’s call it guarded optimism, but I’m hoping it all works out.

9 Likes

@GMVitus I was over at your site this AM looking over your dev update and the latest images.

The aircraft is really looking incredible!

Just wanted to give you words of encouragement. The end of a project is so much the hardest part.

Hang in there!

1 Like

Can’t wait to belly land and bend some props with this!
Seriously. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, it looks like we have our response from Wing42…total silence as always regarding the “accommodation”.

What is infinitely worse—he has continued to sell this Vega throughout the period in question

Does this industry need another developer who puts quick profit ahead of quality and communication? Don’t we have enough of those already?

Don’t buy it then. I mean, the product will speak for itself right? There will be reviews, and people will be able to see what the aircraft is like. I can’t comment on the P3D issue.

You are starting to sound like a scratched record… we get it…you are not happy with this developer. Vote with your wallet as is your right. As far as quality is concerned, the Bleriot is excellent…and the 247 looks like it will follow suit.

8 Likes

Folks - do not send complaints intended for the manufacturer and post them here. Send them directly to Wing42. Any more complaints of that nature posted here will get this thread ACTIONED. The 3rd Party Forums are provided as a courtesy to the user community for general discussion of a 3rd Party product used in MSFS. It is NOT a Support Forum or a place to air complaints intended directly for the manufacturer.

OR

Support@wing42.com
+49(0) 176 34127079

4 Likes

Any update on this ? I’ve seen some new pics and videos since two weeks :innocent:

Very much looking forward to this one. Along with the DC-6 and the upcoming Goose my vintage fleet will be complete!

Any more shots or news to drool over will be much appreciated!