Screen flickers and FS2020 crashes

Hey guys, I have a problem. Nothing has changed in my setup but since tonight I have issues with FS2020. When I startup, it checks for updates and after that, the screen starts to flicker. A couple of seconds later FS crashes. A reboot doesn’t fix it, this only happens with FS, not with any other application. Any suggestions?

There are quite a few threads on the forums where people are reporting crash to desktops and it seems there is no one single cause. Reports indicate that the ‘fix’ for one user doesn’t work for another user etc. Tracking down the cause is very time consuming. I suggest maybe using the forum search function to find other threads for this issue. If you wanted to be brave, even though it is time consuming, you could take the plunge and go ahead and reinstall windows. It might actually save you time in the long run. However, it doesn’t guarantee that it will solve your problem if the CTD is caused by hardware weaknesses (unlikely but possible) or driver issues.

To get you started, here are two links (Link1, Link2) to existing mega-threads about CTDs.

It would also be a good idea to check out the known issues post to see if you are affected by one of those.

For advanced troubleshooting, if none of the other fixes seem to work, then there may also be some useful information contained in this detailed thread: [FIXED] Random CTDs due to internet and hardware issues.

3 Likes

Thanks Sartanius!

It’s really annoying, just bought the extended version and nothing works anymore. I will check the other threads, thanks for your help!

I’ve added a little video to show you what I mean…

Right off the bat, it is likely video driver/harware related. That may seem obvious, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

3 Likes

Last night there were no problems ar all, it happened just now. Nothing has been changed… I will check the drivers again… Thanks…

edit: latest drivers were installed, windows re-installed, everything works fine but FS2020. Starts up, checks for updates, next screen for a minute and FS crashes again. This is very frustrating. I am a Mac user for decades, bought a new MS system, just for FS2020. Until yesterday, FS worked just fines. Nothing changed and it won’t work anymore. The frustrating part is that I don’t know what to do anymore…

The flickering is gone now, now it just crashes after startup… :confounded:

Do you have another video card you could try just to eliminate that GPU as the issue?

I may have to do the same here at my end. I got rid of all my CTDs with an OS reinstall, but there still seems to be a lingering, flickering video issue. The 2080Ti cards apparently can have these problems, and that is what I have. Swapping the GPU is my plan here soon.

1 Like

I also have the 2080Ti but until yesterday it worked just fine… I have no other video card that I can use unfortunately.

Let me know if that solved the issue. I still have no solution and can’t startup FS2020 anymore, FS crashes right after startup of the app. Any other suggestions or wait for a fix?

1 Like

It turned out to be a problem with the videocard, replaced it and now everything still works again just fine.

1 Like

So great to hear, @Krekel357. I suspect may of the problems folks are having are from their GPUs. Very complex business, really… I shake my head when I think about how all this stuff just generally works considering the many millions of hardware-software configurations around the world. But, nothing is perfect, so there is still work to be done. Glad you’re out of the woods.

Thanks Sartanius, are you still having the same issues with your 2080 Ti? I have played around with my settings and I’m quite happy now. I still did have some crashes when I was using the MSI afterburner monitor to see the framerates, after deleting that I didn’t have any problems anymore. I am not sure MSI caused it but I don’t want to change too much anymore now it works.

I hope MS will fix the issues soon, nothing more frustrating than spending money on FS (and a complete new system in my case) and not being able to fly. I really enjoy my flights now, practised a lot and learned how to use the G1000 AP and ILS. I’m planning my multi airport trip from EHAM to CYVR now in a Cessna 172 G1000 en enjoy the view along the way. Anyway, happy flying!

My issues seem to have subsided lately. Maybe it was driver-related.

Very happy to hear you are back in the skies and honing your piloting skills. There are infinite possibilities for flight plans/routes all over the world, so you’re just getting started. Glad you are along for the journey!

1 Like

Hello Krekel357 I am lolitaprincessa.
I received your answer by mail
this is my question about full screen without the windshield and the interior cockpit:

"Thanks for your information.

No body has any answer. And this is not the only question about this . a complete cockpit with sides and front windows

We cannot open front and lateral screens to get a full view all around 180°."