[SOLVED] MSFS does not start - Microsoft Store Error Code: 0x80073D26

When I start MSFS right now, it tries to download an update from the Microsoft Store.

This breaks with the error message

Code: 0x80073D26

without success.

Last Thursday (27.05.21) after the Sim-update the sim was still running fine.
System is up to date, community folder is empty. CD version Premium Edition.

Is there a solution?

Hey,

Make sure MSFS isnā€™t starting with administration rights.

I also moved your topic to
#bugs-and-issues.

Thanks for the quick reply.
MSFS will not start as admin. I also have not made any changes to my system since the last successful launch of MSFS on 05/27-21.

The error occurs while installing the gaming service. The installation aborts. The above error code appears in the details. Unfortunately, downloading again does not fix the problem.

2 Likes

same issue here :frowning:
error code 0x8007139F on gaming service update.

1 Like

In windows seacrh bar type
powershell

right click on powershell and select run as administrator

Copy/paste into powershell window
(right click to paste into powershell window)

Remove-Item -Path ā€œHKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesā€ -Recurse

press enter

Remove-Item -Path ā€œHKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNetā€ -Recurse

press enter

//////////////////////////////////////////
Restart PC.
/////////////////////////////////////////

Run powershell as administrator.

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Click Get

6 Likes

Open Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ā†’ SYSTEM ā†’ CurrentControlSet ā†’ Services

Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

Restart Computer

Go to your Windows Store ā†’ 3-dot-menu ā†’ Downloads and Updates ā†’ Check updates

Gaming Services should install now without issue.

Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

4 Likes

worked, thanks!

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks to TenPatrol and FreeBirdJosh for the tips that solved the problem. Strangely enough, after deleting the registry entries, I had to restart twice until everything worked againā€¦

However, I find it highly critical that software errors have to be fixed by registry changes on the part of the user. Not everyone is able to do this and it is not without danger.

It would be desirable if Microsoft would quickly fix these errors.

4 Likes

I never had this issue myself, but Iā€™m just curious how may of these Gaming Services you now have. I show two instances, both running:

For those that couldnā€™t install/update Gaming Services without deleting those services first, I wonder if they had something wrong with them.

Instead of registry key bashing, you could use the ā€œscā€ command to remove those services, which would be a cleaner way to do it. From an elevated command prompt:

sc stop GamingServices
sc stop GamingServicesNet
sc delete GamingServices
sc delete GamingServicesNet

If I ever have the same problem again, I will try your tip first. Thank you. I am also of the opinion that interventions in the registry should be the exception. A solution from Microsoft would of course be best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m having this issue today on startup! I get the gaming servicesā€¦

I did try the command line above to no avail! I find no excuse for any of this!

What is the status of your two Gaming Services services? They will likely be either Running, Stopped or Disabled.

This worked on my machine .
But also had to reload on Microsoft Store which then populated the files and started the program.

did you try the solution deleting 2 Windows Registry Entries (regedit.exe with Admin privileges)?:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet]
  1. close all apps
  2. delete these two reg entries
  3. reboot your computer
  4. try again to updtae the xbox game services
    ā†’ then proceed with the other updates

(i would also check windows update and other optionals, also all available updates for GPU (and Microsoft Store, if you use it)ā€¦ and AGAIN reboot, before starting MSFS or MSFS update)

What do you think has caused this to happen ?
I am the same and locked in the Microsoft Store with the Gaming Services which does not respond.
I shouldnā€™t have to go into the registry just to start Flight Sim it is a bit worrying doing that

I am just getting
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1055]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sc stop GamingServices
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

C:\Windows\system32>sc stop GamingServicesNet

C:\Windows\system32>sc delete GamingServices

C:\Windows\system32>sc delete GamingServicesNet

C:\Windows\system32>sc delete GamingServices

That looks like you have already removed those services. You should be able to confirm that by eye if you open ā€˜services.mscā€™.

If thatā€™s the case then you should be okay to (re-)install.

Install the latest windows update. Also check optional updates and try isntall gaming services manually.

How to isntall gaming services manually

In windows seacrh bar type
powershell

right click on powershell and select run as administrator

Copy the command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell window)

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

Copy the command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell window)

Remove-Item -Path ā€œHKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesā€ -Recurse

press enter

Remove-Item -Path ā€œHKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNetā€ -Recurse

press enter

//////////////////////////////////////////
Restart PC.
/////////////////////////////////////////

Download Microsoft.GamingServices_2.53.28001.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle
Right click on it and select install

Thank You but it says it is installed and just stops at this

Nothing I click does anything
What is Gaming Services anyway I have never had this come up before when starting Flight Sim ?

https://www.onmsft.com/news/xbox-gaming-services-app-appears-in-the-microsoft-store

They donā€™t appear to know either ?

Found this Windows Update summary but it is not showing for download in settings yet .

June 11, 2021ā€”KB5004476 (OS Builds 19041.1055, 19042.1055, and 19043.1055) Out-of-band

Updates an issue that might redirect you to the Microsoft Store page for Gaming Services when you try to install or start an Xbox Game Pass game on your Windows 10 device.