[Tell Tours] Switzerland - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (Leg 2)

Guided Switzerland Tour (Leg 2)

Dear fellow pilots,

Welcome to the second leg of our guided tour through Switzerland.

In a Nutshell

What Value
When Friday (January 8 2021), 1930Z (2030 Zurich local time)
Duration 2 hours (approx.)
Server North Europe
Voice Chat On the official FS 2020 Discord event channel: https://discord.gg/msfs
Aircraft Cub Crafter X Cub

Fight Plan

Tell Tours - Locarno to Bern.pln (12.9 KB)

Introduction

This tour will guide us through the Alps and will put our little, but reliable X Cub to the test: the pitot tube will freeze. Our cockpit glass will freeze (but no worries, we have an “outside view”, so we can still enjoy the scenery ;)). Some valleys won’t be much wider than the wingspan of our airplane. We will climb to the top of Europe!

But we’re on a mission! I will link to some YouTube videos below to get you into the proper mood. And if you think you’re up to the job - think again! Our mission won’t end without the spectacular Inferno Race: dead-stick and follow the terrain from top of Piz Gloria down to Lauterbrunnen!

That all being said, the event is open for all pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to enjoy the beautiful scenery, get to know some interesting fun facts and enjoy flying together.

FLIGHT DETAILS

We will continue our tour from Locarno airport (LSZB). After a quick sightseeing of Locarno we will head north through the pitoresque Verzasca valley. At it’s very beginning there is already an opportunity to reenact the famous opening scene of GoldenEye (the X-Cub also comes visually closest to the Pilatus PC-6 Turbo-Porter used in the movie).

After a steep climb we will fly over some locations of Goldfinger, before we climb the largest glacier of the Alps, the Aletschgletscher, which will lead us to the Top of Europe.

In freezing conditions we will then “head over” to the next peak, Piz Gloria (also known as Schilthorn ;)), another iconic James Bond location.

In between you will learn a couple of more (fun) facts about Switzerland, land on a small airstrip built for gliders (not available in the FS 2020 airfield database ;)), do another break in Interlaken airport (LSMI - a former military airbase) and end this leg in Bern-Belp (LSZB).

PLANNING

Start is at airport Locarno (LSZL) where we ended our previous leg. We will meet just next to runway 26.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. The default 50% fuel should be sufficient.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds OR Live Weather
Time of day 1000 AM local (0900 UTC) for great lighting

UPDATE I just checked: the live weather is really good, almost no clouds (but freezing temperatures: our pitot tube and wind shield in the X Cub will freeze!) - and snow :slight_smile:

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

FLIGHT PLAN

In order to fully enjoy the scenery we will be using an Cub Crafter X Cub and cruising between 90 - 100 knots, but you are free to choose any aircraft capable of cruising at the same speed. A tight turning radius may become incredibly advantageous, too :wink:

A .PLN file is provided by the following link: Tell Tours - Locarno to Bern.pln (12.9 KB)

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

While I set the waypoints such that it is theoretically possible to fly the entire leg with autopilot (at around 100 knots) we will need to survive some steep ascends - so be prepared to intervene and turn around your airplane quickly, if (still) possible :wink:

Calendar Entry

An optional calendar entry Tell Tours - Locarno to Bern.ics is provided, if you want to set yourself a reminder.

Download as follows:

• Chrome / Edge: right-click and “Save target as…”
  • Firefox: click on link, save the shown text (*.ics) file: “Save page as…” (right-click, “Save target as…” does not seem to work)

Then simply open the downloaded *.ics file and the default calendar app should import it.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

3 Likes

James Bond film locations:

GoldenEye

Goldfinger

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service

Some locations we will visit:

Locarno
IMGP6104

Verzasca Dam
IMGP6174

Valle Verzasca
IMGP6215

IMGP6196

Furkapass
APC_5008

Thun
APC_0041

(Note to editor: all photos taken by me, @Steeler2340)

5 Likes

I joined Steeler on leg 1 of his Zurich tours. I had an absolutely fantastic time. Full of information, an excellent route and flying, and a great community joined.

I urge everyone to consider joining Leg 2…
I’m excited :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot for your very kind words! In fact, I wasn’t sure whether a “tour with commentaries” was such a good idea, but I believe people enjoyed it :slight_smile:

And I do this for my own interest as well, to learn about Switzerland and its history - and fun facts - myself (I just got a history book from the local library as well recently: “Switzerland for Dummies” ;))

That being said, as you can already anticipate by this flight leg’s title, the commentaries will include a bit more references to “contemporay culture & entertainment”. The entire flight will be a bit, shall we say, “more joyful”. Flying with an X-Cub (without pitot heat) in freezing conditions - 'nuf said.

But we won’t do completely silly things either (except the “Inferno race” in the last part perhaps) :wink:

By the way due to my “research” YouTube now keeps recommending me videos such as this one, which gives you an impression of where we will fly (and do an interim landing, too):

Experience an Approach to MĂĽnster LSPU | Switzerland From Above | GoPro Hero3+ HD - YouTube

But again, our approach to Münster airfield probably won’t be as sophisticated as this one - all pilots with all skills welcome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Steeler. Being a Bond geek… That clip from OHMSS is famous for its continuity error. Ever notice the Helicopter fade in from the left? It’s about 26 seconds in that clip.

1 Like

That’s gonna be a good one. In september 2019 I was on that dam and the valley with my fiancee and at the Piz Gloria with my parents over 20 years ago. Also drove trough Lauterbrunnen 2 years ago on my bike an tent trip. Long story short: some nice places worthy to visit :kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Will join the leg 2 run tonight. Catch you then.

1 Like

It stood out from many other flights. It was a great guided tour and a fun flight in one!
Looking forward to the next ones, starting tonight!

Dear all, just what I was somehow expecting: I was just launching FS2020, and… an UPDATE is available for download, a little over 1’000 MiB (~1 GiB)!

Release Notes say it’s version 1.12.13.0 - haven’t read them just yet, as I am still starring at the progress bar… dumdidum…

So launch your FS2020 early (as in “right now”), if you haven’t installed the update just yet!

UPDATE: According to the version number that’s the update from December (“SIM Update 2”), so this download probably “just” contains updated navigation charts/data/frequencies etc that get updated on a monthly basis.

But still, be prepared to download and install this update.

1 Like

Doing it now - Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Dear all, the update went smooth and relatively quickly (I do have a fast internet connection though), so far so good.

And the good news: I just checked the live weather - looks good! So I suggest the following simulation settings:

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Live Weather
Time of day 1000 AM local (0900 UTC) for great lighting

Apparently live weather works most reliably when you first choose “Clear Weather” in the pre-flight preparations, and only after you have clicked on “Fly” switch to “Live Weather”.

Note that we are using the North Europe server this time (West Europe currently has high ping values).

1 Like

I have tweeked my MSFS2020 setting and thought the update is just because of my play with the setting, so there is actually an update…Cool :blush:

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

some more backinfos (couldn’t speak on voice chat) on the dam before vercasca you can do the 007 bungee jump, but it was closed when i visited it. the rotaring restaurant on the schilthorn is named piz gloria like in the movie. the reichenbachfälle in lauterbrunnen is where j. r.r. tolkien had the idea for rivendell in the hobbit/ the lord of the rings. the high number of parked cars at intelaken can be a result of an open air event that occurs at the closed military airport called “greenfield festival”. Also there was the red bull air race some times ago

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like