Terrain Pop-in NOT fixed after World Update 6

Sorry was partly for weildychunks who asked where the pre caching option was.
Then just my experience of the morphing issues v.s. pop in .

Terrain Morphing has always been there, ORBX have a better method of rendering terrain as seen with their NZ Mesh whereby the morphing is practically invisible. Asobo need to implement what ORBX have.

1 Like

The pre cache setting only refers to terrain that is outside the players field of view. So everything you can’t see is cached in a much lower quality. While looking around fast it takes some time to get the quality of the terrain back. Hence the popping. This was what people complained about after su5. This is fixed now. Combined with the stutters cuased by this technique.

What you are seeing is just terrain lod loading up when getting closer. This has always been therr and will probably never go away. This is especially noticable with some newer high quality dem.

But terrain popping is fixed.

4 Likes

Yes I agree it has always been there since the game released. And whether it’s any worse now than it was back then, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Go into UserCfg.opt and set these:

{Terrain
	LoDFactor 6.000000
}
{OffscreenTerrainPreCaching
	Enabled 1
	Quality 3
}
{ObjectsLoD
	LoDFactor 4.000000
}

With your SLI 3090s you can probably go hog wild and set Terrain LoD to 9.000000 or higher.
For some reason, my system seems to cap the ObjectsLoD to 4.000000.

1 Like

The better the DEM gets the worse the popping/morphing

1 Like

Hello, I believe that when we refer to “morphing” we are talking about terrain such as mountains gradually / slowly developing irrespective of which camera you are looking at them from. At least for me this has been a problem for a long time, definitely before SU5.
Wit SU5 we all faced a new problem, that of “pop-ins” which in my view are more of the type of objects seen appearing when you move the camera or go from cockpit view to external / showcase. A good example for me are the airport taxiway yellow signs - the moment you switch from cockpit view to showcase (drone) you see them come up in place. Another one is a slight change of coloration of the sky and a momentary halt of the aircraft movement while taxiing (all these only as you switch view).

With WU6:

1. The (terrain) morphing is still there.

2. The pop-ins are reduced if you select ULTRA on the new pre-caching option but not completely eliminated

3. I have a new issue as follows:
    A very annoying slow morphing of shadows even on the plane (other examples, shadow of island on the sea) when switching from cockpit to external or showcase views. See attached video where the plane is sitting at the gate and the graphics settings on purpose set to Medium (except the off screen caching which is ULTRA), FPS limited to 30 through NCP and usage of CPU/GPU/MEM are quite low, With SU5 I could run same plane / same airport with HIGH/ULTRA settings (and LODs beyond 200) - there was more of pop-ins but they were of distant things, not on the plane itself !! Is anyone else getting these ? Any thoughts on addressing this “pest” ?

Thanks.

Key specs: i7-9700F, RTX 2060, 32GB

This is caused by screen space reflections and it’s always been like this. Screen space reflections (as the name sugests) only show reflections of what is on screen. So what’s happening in your video is when you go to outside view, first you’ll see the basic cubemap reflection on the plane (sun/sky) and then you see the screenspace reflections form to replace those cubemap reflections. There have always been a small delay when switching screens like this i believe.

Ssr are great for very rough reflections but not for sharp reflections as in the video or the stupidly reflective water surface asobo has created. there will always be parts of the reflection missing due to objects being in screen overlapping some of the scenery visible in the reflection.

Ray tracing would be a better solution for this. Though it’s much more demanding.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, so (a) its not only me (my system) and (b) there is not solution ? Maybe I should tone down the reflections option ? I 'd rather have less of them than see them creeping up like that …

A. No
B. it’s a limitation in the graphics engine. Solution would be raytracing when dx12 will be implemented. Ofcourse you’ll need a prety beefy RTX gpu for ray traced reflections to work properly.

1 Like

Got, it, many thanks. I guess will have to live with this until technology and budget allow.

ok guys these are 2 sepparate issues.

First one, terrain pop-in is fixed EXCEPT in the mountains, morphing is still there and will need to be tackled in the future, the OP is right, sometimes the textures in the mountains appear or morph just in your face, very noticeable in Tenerife for example.

Second one is building pop-in, with terrain prechacé, if your settings are correct, there is ZERO, like litteraly ZERO pop-in when panning the camera around (which was the issue they fixed), there is still some pop-in in the distance because there is no other known way to render things you are looking at, that is how it goes.
If you want to increase your LOD so that happens so far you cannot see it you can in your user.cfg file, but at the cost of performance.

Proof:

1 Like

hmm i still get pretty bad building morphing at low altitudes over london specifically - but in other large cities, ie, in germany, japan, and nyc the visuals are very smooth and stable.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but I was wondering if the morphing problem is linked to the issue many people are having with the photogrammetry messages popping up claiming insufficient bandwidth?

Could it be possible that the morphing is caused by server issues at the Microsoft end not delivering the sceneries quick enough?

1 Like

I am no Dev but I wonder if it would be possible to reduce/cure the morphing with a similar cache-setting as for scenery?

You are right, but the PG building morphing is also an issue. Not sure if it’s the same as the mountain morphing. It was never on the agenda to get fixed for this update however, so when many complaining here that it wasn’t fixed with the implication it was supposed to, is a bit strange.

I have always seen it to some extent in Zürich where I tend to fly regularly VFR and VR. Tbh, never really bothered me that much before I started reading these forums :sweat_smile:

true, true. although in my case it never bothered me much until i got a 3080ti :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh you mean PG buildings, yeah but I doubt that can be quite solved, you could increase the distance at which maximum lods are rendered, which is the solution for mountains, but if you do that for cities that destroys fps.
That is actually what happens with PG cities downloaded from flightsim.to, usually they destroy fps on even the most powerful PCs, they look amazing though.

I have the very same, NYC looks like a car crash while approaching it.

similar system
I9 11900k
3070TI
32GB ram

1 Like