đŸ©č The patch everyone was waiting for (Jul 30) has been released! (topic emotion grade: lively, but still civil)

It’s already in effect as far as I know.

Some say that they are glad that the clouds were finally fixed with this update. But on this one I agree with you.

I think it’s a general question of point of view. I would expect Asobo/MS to include at least the payware 3rd party developers in implementing such a significant update to give them the chance to adjust their products before an update is released and not afterwards, even if this is resulted in later releases. The current way not only causes hundred of frustrated customers on Asobo/MS’s side but on the 3rd party developers side as well. Finally, nobody is happy.
My personal requirements are not met by the default aircrafts and airports of MSFS; as with previous sims, the 3rd party prodcuts makes it really interesting. Before flying vanilla for weeks, I prefer to keep the sim untouched for that time. But as said, this is more a general question of personal demand.

3 Likes

It’s third party stuff. If they hadn’t kept the old system thousands of mods would’ve become vanishfests.

Their own stock objects now have different LOD models.

I don’t know if they did before for everything, they certainly did for their static aircraft and that worked perfectly, but now it’s way more jarring than before this update.

Many lower level LOD models now have different textures and colours and they change shape as they’ve heavily cut down on detail.

You can cruise around an airport and now things like portakabins and fences morph in front of your eyes. They didn’t before.

2 Likes

It is impacting everyone, friend – it’s part of the new way they coded/optimized the sim. The LOD has been reduced as well as terrain at higher levels. Not sure why this is even a debate.

3 Likes

Their own stock objects now have different LOD models.

Ok this actually makes sense! I was flying around some of my payware scenery areas and I noticed those buildings are not disappearing and I can still see them from far away! I was actually wondering why.

But oh crap so does this mean Asobo is eventually going to force everything to get on this ■■■■■■ XBOX LOD, so even custom scenery cannot be spared from the short draw distances?

1 Like

It’s not a “fix” per se, but I couldn’t handle the newer colors and exposure settings that SU5 brought, especially in 4k HDR which I use, so I just added Nvidia’s Freestyle/Ansel and fixed the sharpness, coloring, exposure, and tone. Has actually helped me a ton, just FWIW.

6 Likes

Yes.

Third party developers will have to do this or everything will vanish after 20ft or whatever the distance is.

They were going to do it for this update but the testers made so much noise they held off. For now.

I can see many, many mods being abandoned, and of course the ones not being actively developed will be junk.

But the point of the LOD thing is to maintain draw distance, but making it less demanding.

It would be handy to know when.

1 Like

Maybe you should post this in a separate topic. Great info!

1 Like

I do hope there’s some change of decision from Asobo on this
 it’s pretty clear, to me, that majority of PC users are not happy with the new LOD changes.

5 Likes

I use Nvidia Freestyle already since months, but for SU5 it seems to cause CTD’s. No such experiences at your end?

None that I am aware of
 having some random CTDs now and then, but have attributed those mainly to mods or SU5.

I do hope there’s some change of decision from Asobo on this
 it’s pretty clear, to me, that majority of PC users are not happy with the new LOD changes.

Well, certainly majority of the PC users who were running a decent system.

And from the way they are describing this, it seems very easy to just add a slider to this thing? If before the screen size before they disappear was 0.5%, now it’s 5%, I mean isn’t it very easy to just make a slider/setting so that the “Ultra” is 0.1%, and “Low” is like 10%? Sound like a simple solution?

2 Likes

Ok, will give it another try after tomorrow’s patch. Had the impression that Freestyle caused the CTDs I had since SU5 and is also responsible for longer loading times. Without, no more CTDs until now, but MSFS now looks extremely pale.

Great idea! I’m sure people will start calling it MS Slide Simulator then :laughing:

Introducing a slider would make the visuals on the PC superior to to how it looks on the Xbox.

I think Microsoft probably wants th sim to look the same on Xbox and PC with no possibility to tweak it on the PC.

Wouldn’t make sense. They know pc is more capable. And they talked about super ultra mode once. Just wait and see.

1 Like

Great idea! I’m sure people will start calling it MS Slide Simulator then :laughing:

You can never give a user too much options. Options is what makes PC gaming great. I won’t mind if they give me 100 sliders so I can fine tune everything tbh. And if you don’t want to fine tune, then take a preset. Much rather have that than having a global quality reduction forced down my throat.

3 Likes

I agree with you. But many others won’t. They think the menu is very complex already.

I don’t have any information, but there are hints, like the statement at the end of this thread:

They insist on having one code base for Xbox and PC. They say they would implement sliders. But they would have to scale sliders differently on the 2 platforms. Which they obviously will not do because it would mean different code bases.