Thrustmaster HOTAS One a good starter?

I’m on Xbox Series X and getting pretty good. Started out lazy, spawning mid-air, then on Runway…now everytime I fly, been doing C&D starts, ATC and proper taxi procedures.

Now, I’m looking to get a flight stick. Get a little knee-high instead of dippin’ toes.

I remember having the “Microsoft Sidewinder” back in ancient times. I just had to look it up to make myself (or you :laughing:) feel old. I’m only 34. The thing’s considered “vintage” these days.

Anyway, I’m not particularly drowning in disposable income, and I want to start out easy.

I’m looking at the HOTAS One.

For anyone with experience, how is it?

Thrustmaster’s website still list it as “Xbox One” and compatible with Ace Combat 7 (as I believe that was the time the H-One released) but I’m hoping it’s compatible with the Series X and FS2020.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

EDIT: I also have a wireless M&K setup that use currently use alongside controller which I plan on doing as well once I pick up the stick.

If you’re into mainly GA planes then go for the Velcocity One flight yoke, for fly-by-wire etc planes then the Hotas is a great setup, i have both and the Hotas pedals as well and keep them all plugged in :slight_smile:

It’s not like you have lot of option. Your B option would be to consider the Chinese PXN HOTAS which is at least advertised as working with current XBox consoles (asking for opinions on r/HOTAS on that would probably be more productive). C option would be to wait for the Honeycomb HOTAS when it comes out sometime later this century, but that is set to cost about 300€ already.

Radical response alert! I started using my Hotas one I bought specifically for Xbox x MSFS. I’m finding that I’m using the controller much more a few months in. I especially like the ease of use in terms of smoothly changing views and moving around the cockpit. The joystick hat switch is very binary in that aspect.

Sometimes I use a Bluetooth mouse with either which is nice for zooming in and out externally, or clicking radio and switches etc. Only thing I miss is the throttle lever

That doesn’t sound very radical at all. T Flight is not good, and Asobo’s handlers from MS presumably instructed them to spend some time getting this to work properly on XBox controller.

I liked it to begin with, then I realised the rudder flapped all over the place on its own as the sensor is basic in the twist handle and needed cleaning or repair (can’t be bothered).

I’ll admit though that the VKB GLADIATOR NXT has been in my website favourites tab for some timr for when I feel like spending £140 ish, and when it’s in stock again.

You’re right though, I think they optimised the controller very well, even though I would have expected it to feel very wrong. For throttle especially it is nice to have a traditional throttle lever, and brakes on a button isn’t ideal. I haven’t really noticed if the brake button utilises pressure sensing to apply differing brake effort?

To the OP if sticking with the controller, take a look at some recommended sensitivities on this forum, by using a keyword search

Just note that it’s not XBox compatible.

2 Likes

When I first got into the sim, I used the Hotas One and the TFRP pedals along with it.

At that time, I was sitting on the sofa, so I took a wooden lap desk and drilled 6mm holes in it to physically mount the throttle and flightstick to the desk via the 6mm X 1.0 holes in the base of each unit. I separated them, as well, for better ergonomics. That allowed me to place a Razer Turret keyboard between and below them and my Xbox controller would sit directly between them for easy access.

Since then, I’ve setup a Xbox-based sim-only workstation with the Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke Pack and a second throttle quadrant along with TPR pedals.

I really cannot impress upon you how much better flying with the yoke vs. the Hotas is. Yes, it’s expensive, but the expense, if you can afford it, is beyond worth it. Of course, it requires a desk/table to be clamped to, so that definitely dictates where you’re going to be simming.

Specifically, to answer your question, the Hotas is a great entry point for flying with a peripheral. I’ve managed to map a significant amount of controls to it and doing so enhanced its overall usefulness tremendously.

Eek, thought I’d researched that properly. :astonished: Thanks , hopefully I’d have double checked but was planning to buy that

I have been using my Hotas flight stick on my Xbox since the day it released. Honestly, until I get a beefy PC, it will be just fine. Not really any complaints here.

It’s ok as something, I would say though buy the full kit with rudder pedals it’s usually on sale for $150ish. The throttle is super sloppy/floppy and it’s a bit clutzy overall. However, you can use the HOTAS as a pedal ‘server’ for the V1 if you get that later. I’ll sell my set off when TB gets it’s own pedals, figure having it for a couple years and ‘loosing’ $50 ebaying it later is still pretty cheap. I don’t use it much as a stick, but from time to time break it out for the WACO. I don’t fly fighters and use the yoke even for ‘stick’ GA like the Cirrus as it’s still prototypical for a yoke aircraft in envelope. Just set your dead zone and sensitivities pretty heavy so it’s not so twitchy in it’s slop. You’ll probably want a couple rubber bands for the throttle…

Time will tell if I flip to the XPC eventually, but MSFS needs to get it’s ■■■■ together before I throw some serious money at any gear beyond the $500 ish HOTAS/pedals/V1 combo for now.

Rubber bands? Where would I put them? And what’s a good sensitivity for my hotas

Yes, it’s a great device to get you going. If you decide to switch to a pc some time down the road, it will work with that too. For the money it’s acceptable, and the buttons are all useful.

I had one that saw me through my first hundred hours or so in MSFS, and it’s now been passed down to my son who loves it for Star Wars Squadrons.

1 Like

I’ve remaped the joystick hat switch to pan view rather than snap view.

Works brilliantly.

2 Likes

Ah haven’t tried that or rather, didn’t know you could. Will try that then

1 Like

It’s a pretty good stick for the money. I’m happy with it. It absolutely needs this mod to fix the awful loose throttle though…

It’s dead easy to do this and makes it so smooth.

I have the pedals, again they are not great out of the box but try this mod…

With a little effort this good value set becomes a whole lot better. I also use it with a wireless mouse which is essential for me and even better value.

How did you do this like what are the settings?

You want to map:

Camera:
Cockpit Look Up Right to Pov Up Right
Cockpit Look Up Left to Pov Up Left
Cockpit Look Up to Pov Up
Cockpit Look Right to Pov Right
Cockpit Look Left to Pov Left
Cockpit Look Down Right to Pov Down Right
Cockpit Look Down Left to Pov Down
Cockpit Look Down to Pov Down Left

I’ve considered doing this before but presumably it also loses access to the quick views within the cockpit, which might be ok on small GA but could be a big problem on larger airliners, especially Concorde with the engineer’s position. I also use the hat switch with a modifier button for trim so running out of places to put new functions. For this reason I use a mouse to pan view, which is great when trimmed and I can let go of the stick, since both on right hand, but doesn’t work very well as I come in to land, or right after takeoff and run out of hands.

I have M&K hooked up to my Xbox, so I’m not too worried about control schemes.

The big thing for me is to have the Elevator hopefully set to the HAT switch.