TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

I checked again with your Virtual Desktop suggestions but at 150% res. it’s unplayable. At 100% it is not as sharp as Steamvr with link.

I have now settled on the following:

• Link with Steamvr runtime.
  • Oculus app at 3920 x 1984 at 80 Hz
  • OTT SS 1.3 ASW 18 hz
  • Steamvr res. per eye at 100%
  • MSFS render scale at 100%

Looks very sharp and almost perfectly smooth. Some minor stuttering in heavy photogrammetry areas but this might also be caused by server latency.

I took note of your warning that the OTT settings not always stick. I made several flights and every time after activating the link I went back to OTT to extra save the settings before switching to VR. The results were consistent.

Tonight I wanted to test over the heavy area of Birmingham. I forgot to extra save the OTT settings after starting link and the result looked not good. Heavy stuttering. At first my thought was that the scenery might be too much for my settings but then I reminded not saving the OTT. Restarted again in the right order an lo and behold, even Birmingham was running smooth.

1 Like

great post, thank you for sharing.

if I understand things correctly, OTT and the oculus debug tool allow you to make the same changes, but OTT allows you to make changes ‘live’ while ODT requires a restart for changes to take effect.

since ODT has a command line utility, is anyone running a bat script to set all of the oculus tweaks using ODT before launching msfs, thereby removing the need to make sure that the settings in OTT are actually active?

Super useful tutorial, I applied all settings suggested. Having a similar setup like you have, I get a solid 40fps even flying above packed places such as Toronto (incl. scenery addon).

I got one problem though which I can’t seem to sort out. Despite the fps the picture is choppy/stuttery basically all the time, interestingly turning down all setting to low, LoD 50 and RR to 50 it didn’t change a thing except fps went way up. I also tried disabling Photogrammetry and Bing Data - no change whatsoever.

Anything I may have missed out on? Got an RTX3080, 5600x with a Q2 and 32Gigs of RAM (VRAM usage never exceeds 8Gig and RAM usage is hovering around only 8Gb, which I think is pretty weird)

Only thing that I can think is have you set the nvidia panel property Vsync to Fast?

OTT detect the launch of the executable (E.g. flightsimulator.exe) so it apply all settings at that very moment. it’s not really live as this need to happen in any case before switching to VR (E.g. like with ODT).

For the batch with OculusDebugToolsCLI, check this post I made recently to get the basic : Oculus Quest 2 settings - RTX3070 OC - #14 by CodeLoran69

Hello,

I have everyday Good or Bad vr

I dont change the Setup.
Thats the Server From ms. i cant believe thats everyday my Setup.

Did you guys realize that we lose ~10fps as soon as we activate the headset proximity sensor?
10fps for just streaming video to a headset and activate head movement?

That seems like a lot. If I don’t put my headset on, I’ve something smooth, with both eyes rendered on screen, easy ~48fps. As soon as I put it on/put my finger on the proximity sensor, it drops to ~36fps.
Very frustrating but maybe there’s a lot more reason for this drop. I’m curious to test how other games handle that.

1 Like

@Flobud that’s an interesting finding. Well, it’s most likely the USB-path eating up the FPS with all the compression/decompression, video, audio and movement processing. Would very much like to be able to objectively compare how much performance Virtual Desktop and/or SteamVR consume compared to Link…

@mynolix very sorry to hear that you still suffer from stuttering. It sounds to me like an underlying problem. I can only guess, but when in your situation I would probably check the following:

• BIOS settings - there are some great Youtube videos dealing with stutters caused by wrong Mainboard setup
  • Malware & real-time scanners - both having malware or a bad real-time scanner can cause stutters
  • Network connection sufficient for real-time Bing data etc.
  • USB 3.0 - port / USB controller driver / device settings / USB power settings or similar.
  • Link cable: I am using the Anker Powerline+ cable without issues, but just today I read a FB post of a guy who was pulling his hair off and finally bought the original cable - it solved it all. It’s an expensive experiment I admit though, so maybe another 3rd party cable?
  • Finally: I would surely also give the alternative Virtual Desktop setup a try (which includes also traing SteamVR-OXR as another VR runtime). I read many posts from users desperately trying everything with Link but only after moving to VD the stutters were gone. This can likely be linked to a hidden issue with one of the above areas (like USB), but before all your hair gets grey finding the root cause with Link maybe it’s worth giving VD a try? You’ll find all kind of opinions about VD (count me to the very satisfied ones), but I guess you’ll only find out by trying it out yourself.

Persevere. I’d say you gotta get there as your PC config is rock-solid - the best of good luck to you! Once you’ve made it, it would be great if you could share your solution here for us to learn.

@Fredvasse great to hear you’ve found a working setup and I’ll surely try the SteamVR via Link path with your exact settings shortly! In case it stutters too often for me I would probably compromise first on the 100% render scale in game, however I remember how attached I’ve been to these 100% as it’s really looking great… :wink:

@DrnkAir with regards to cockpit instruments resolution and in case my settings aren’t bringing the desired result to you, I would probably go first with increasing the in-game render scale from 60% to 70% or even 80%. However, that comes at a high price (and basically drops my approach) as you obviously increase the overall render resolution and that has by far the highest impact on your FPS / smoothness. So you’ll likely have to reduce other settings (graphics settings and Oculus super-sampling) to compensate for that. But it’s worth giving a try with my settings and maybe just 70% render scale first.

I admit for the smallest EFIS fonts I still have to lean forward, but everything crucial in the cockpit is readable for me from my standard position, even with 60%. And as the price for moving from good to great readability is unfortunately to move from smoothness to (at least intermittent) stutters, I’m personally not going that path again.

Thanks for the time you took to outline what else could be there. I’ll look into all that and report back if any of that may have been the cause.

1 Like

@TonyTazer1504

• Oculus PC app: Render resolution 3920x1984 (reads as 1.1x at 80hz)

Right now, 3920x1984 at 80Hz is 1.0x, the one used by default. It changed since the last Oculus software update.

I tried the FOV trick but I can see black bars making it like I’m seeing through a black box and it’s really not ideal, even if I indeed gain a few fps (and we all know that 1fps gained is a victory :smiley: ). So I went back to 0;0.

I think something actually helped me having a smoother experience: Removing all the dirty tricks in the win10 power settings. I put everything back to normal and it’s better. Not crazy better but in some areas where I had stuttering and 35fps, I know reach 40. But there is still little stuttering even with a good 40fps.

My two cents: Negative headroom is the culprit. As soon as my headroom is positive, everything is butter smooth at 40fps. But to achieve this I need to sacrifice all the graphics settings, it’s not worth it.

1 Like

A big thank you to the OP. I’ve just followed your guide through, and have to say it has made the sim a lot more enjoyable. Still the odd micro-stutter, but nothing like the judder-fest I was experiencing before. I can now carry on with my UK tour without my eyes bleeding :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Flobud: thanks for the hint on the updated resolution display in the PC app, I’ll update the wording and screenshot on my next occasion. Regarding FOV: have you really tested a few mid-way settings before switching back to 0, 0? I know this is very individual, but would have thought you’d also have a certain “unused portion” of the FOV? It may be even something like 0.87, 0.93 as like you rightly said: in FS every frame counts! :wink:

I’m glad that it helped you reverting Win 10 to “normal” state. I’ve really made the same experience after OCing and tweaking with many apps and I encourage folks to do the same in my guide.

Hello,

I have some days no problems with your Setup and the last 2 days i have Problems again with jitter Framedrops much High headroom in the same test scenery everyday

You are not alone, it happen to me at each launch, inconsistency of CPU and GPU usage, different fps, etc. Possibly due to internet server on MS side. If you want a real test scene for your benchmark you will need to turn off al external factors (no Bing, no live weather, no photogrametry, etc.). But even without those external data I still have those variation each time. Something in the Sim itself IMHO as I don’t see that with other benchmark I do with other apps, sim and games.

1 Like

@CodeLoran69 @Rug4Ever I know exactly what you guys mean and yes, the inconsistent performance also occasionally happens to me, however mostly I feel it may be still related to how complex my flight configuration is “today”:

• Complexity of the aircraft. TBM930 - being one of my favorites - is unfortunately quite fps-hungry. Smooth planes are surely the C152, both bush planes, the Robin and my favorite add-on: the cute MB339 trainer jet. Airliners are CPU-eaters because of the complex aerodynamics and avionics…
  • Weather Settings
  • (Air) Traffic Settings
  • Complexity of the Terrain I fly over today
  • Nothing changed in Windows/Game since last time?

I also remind myself to first restart Windows, close all browsers and unnecessary apps - such as even the RGB-lighting runtime :wink: I also make sure to reselect all values in OTT / ODT to get them really activated / reset and pay attention to start everything in the right order - like a NASA simulator. :laughing:

Finally - with the Quest 2, we have the “luxury” of 3 VR-engines to select from. The possibilities are:

1. Oculus-OpenXR runtime via LINK cable
  2. SteamVR-OpenXR runtime via LINK cable (with most of OTT/ODT settings still working!)
  3. Virtual Desktop uses SteamVR-OpenXR-runtime and works WIRELESS (5Ghz router required though)

Please always bear in mind, that all these 3 setups are constantly developed further and updated regularly.

SteamVR was a joke in FS a month ago, but now with 1.16.8 Beta it may be actually the best engine for FS on the Quest 2.

Just hope this lands, because there is a lot of “SteamVR is ■■■■ for FS” old wisdom still out there.

I really encourage all of us Quest 2 users to at least configure and test two of the three options above, thus being able to always switch to another engine if facing issues. It really often helps. :wink:

I’m also stressed with VR being still that complicated and not just plug&play. But hey - let’s consider ourselves as trailblazers of a bleeding-edge technology slowly becoming mainstream-ready - yeeppiee! :partying_face:

1 Like

“I’m also stressed with VR being still that complicated and not just plug&play” Too true :slight_smile:

But this thread is so nice because its friendly, no shouting, just help.

1 Like

Good morning,

yesterday after the Update i have the absolut Best vr play ever.

IT was so nice. i hope i have the same vr Performance today.

1 Like