TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

TThanks for the tutorial! For me, experience is not as good as for others, maily due to the newly introduced white flashes.
Also I have aRX 6900 and all the tipps around are for Nvidia (eg.vsync mode and pre-rendered frames) any similar settings in Adrenaline driver?

Will keep on testing!

How to kill the white flashes!

We all know by now that the FS flashes are linked to Oculus PC runtime v26, which was in Beta recently (causing flashes for those participating) and became the official v26 release two days ago - still with the same flashes in FS.

WORKAROUND: change Khronos-OpenXR runtime from Oculus-OXR to SteamVR-OXR. Tested successfully and it killed the flashes for me!

• you DON’T NEED need the Steam-Version of Flight Simulator for this to work
  • you NEED Steam-client including working SteamVR (I run on 1.16.8 in Beta mode)
  • IMPORTANT: Oculus Debug Tool / Tray Tool core settings like Super-Sampling, ASW mode/off, FOV are still working - even if running via SteamVR. Additional SteamVR resolution-settings, motion smoothing etc. are complementary - that means they come on top! Bear this in mind not to over-tweak your resolution (FPS!) or in case you want to keep ASW off (which I definitely recommend)

For the ones knowing how the above config works: come, see, confirm back and spread the word! For all others, instructions below:

1. How to change Khronos-OpenXR runtime in your Registry from Oculus-OXR to SteamVR-OXR?

• I’ll skip the classic regedit process, because there s a way more convenient way in SteamVR, as described by @CptLucky8 here:

2. How can I opt-in to SteamVR Beta?

1. From your computer, open the Steam app.
  2. On the left panel, click the drop-down menu and select Tools.
  3. Right-click SteamVR, and then and select Properties.
  4. Go to the Betas tab.
  5. In the Select the beta you would like to opt into drop-down list, select beta - SteamVR Beta Update.

3. How do I launch FS on Oculus using SteamVR now, after applying the changes?

1. Activate Link (Quest) / Oculus Home (Rift)
  2. If you are using Oculus Debug or Tray tool, reconfirm all your main settings now
  3. In the Oculus Home, go to apps and launch SteamVR
  4. Launch FS (as usual) and wait until loaded into Main Menu
  5. Switch to SteamVR (default CTRL+TAB). Make sure your FS window is still active / mouse-click into the FS window. Then confirm head position with SPACE.
  6. Enjoy FS in VR without white flashes!
4 Likes

Many thanks for this info.

I did not realise you could use SteamVR with link, I used it when trying VD. Will try this after work, sounds a game changer, nice update many thanks!!

1 Like

Works great so VR back for me :slight_smile:
Only issue was I had mapped Ctrl-Tab to yoke button to start VR for FS2020 and to switch SteamVR you need to press Ctrl Tab as well.

Seems to work as well as Oculus runtime prior to the flashing issue so thanks for educating me.

1 Like

Once more on the Oculus white flashes, there is a new solution (SteamVR still working well, too):

Please opt-in (again) to Beta Public test Channel in Oculus PC app. This will trigger an update of the Oculus runtime from the “flashy” v26 into v27 Open Beta. Stutters are confirmed as gone and performance supposedly very good, too!

I can only test tomorrow, but will confirm back!

Yes, indeed, the flashes are gone with v.27. Performance fine too. (Rift CV1).

Hi, i stayed about more than one month without using my Quest 2 and MSFS after my first tests which where close to a nightmare, sometimes good, sometimes bad, never stable, etc… so i gave up…

Today i started again to test.

I have the V27 on my Quest.

I installed the last Nvidia 461.72 driver.

MSFS is at the last level.

And i saw this post, so followed the settings.

And i started a flight.

It was ■■■■ !!! very stuttering… but… i started to fly anyway… CPU was at 85% (Ryzen 2600X), GPU at 100% (RTX 3070)
and… after about more than 5 minutes flight, i noticed that thing seemed far better…
GPU was down to 60%, CPU also…
And everything was extremely smooth, whao, what a surprise !!!
I was in the TBM 930, so i tried some acrobatic flight… not easy but everything stayed smooth…
After crashing in the ocean, i changed for Pitts, here i did all acrobatic figures i wanted, close to the ground, no stuttering, eveything smooth, details quite good in the cockpit and outside !!!

Things have improved a lot !!!

To be tried again, but promising !

Thanks

1 Like

@BravoMike472413 great to hear that! And yes, I can confirm that MSFS usually starts much slower in the first one to few minutes as it’s apparently still processing a lot of data at the beginning. Good luck that it stays stable for you.

Oculus V27 feels like quite a game changer to me. Much smoother, even with slightly higher settings.

Yes, was a good surprise, but after i stopped and tried again 30 mins later, i didn’t got the smoothness, stuttering was again there…
so… not sure if i did all the needed steps…
thats the drama with this system… so many steps, one time its beautiful ! the other its not !!!
will try again.
or test again VD…

It was recommended earlier that you should go into desktop and reduce all setting in MSFS to lowest, low or off. Then save all that, switch back to VR. Now the SIM should settle quicker.

Just wanted to bump this thread, @TonyTazer1504 your OP has unlocked so much smoothness for me, but I’ve found a few more tweaks recently that might be interesting.

The latest oculus beta doesn’t react to the hz setting, 72, 80 or 90, it ignores your choice and will sit at 72hz. check with your FPS counter, I could be wrong but it’s what I’m seeing.

BUT the V27 beta being so much smoother has meant that I can drop the supersampling within OTT. I’m now running 72hz (no choice) and 3936x1984 in oculus, and TAA 100 in the sim.

OTT settings are now Super Sampling 0, ASW off, GPU scaling off, and FOV 0.8 x 0.8. I’ve also reduced OVR server priority to Normal as I’ve been reading this can actually do more harm than good (see my post on server priority here) and as V27 is so stable i don’t think it’s needed any more.

I can even bump to 120 in the analog gauged planes. I found that dropping the extra step of supersampling has (i think) improved smoothness with no loss of quality.

Food for thought, my VR flights are the smoothest they’ve ever been now.

I don’t use the tray tool anymore with the 0.27 beta. It just works fine for me. And no more fiddling around with all those parameters:-)

2 Likes

It’s so close for me, but taking 20% off the FOV still gives me a little boost in FPS from just-about-30 to solid 36fps. I think it just helps my 3070 cope at the moment. Hopefully not long now til things get even better and I can ditch OTT completely!

1 Like

Cropping - Is your resolution 4128 x 2096 in the Oculus App (there are three 1.0 resolutions for me)?

This is a question for you and the OP - there’s a note in OTT that setting the FOV is only for the 2D mirror display. Does it actually work within the headset as well (Quest 2)? If not, do you recommend using OTT and ODT simultaneously, as I’ve tried that and didn’t see a performance hit.

Let me go take a look now @AJsowavyy8906 and I’ll come back with the exact numbers.

But yes OTT fov setting definitely affects the field of view in the quest 2. Try setting it to 0.6x0.6 and it’ll be very obvious. 0.8x0.8 is the sweet spot for me, I can’t see the edges so it just crops out the pixels I didn’t see anyway. Everyone’s eyes are different and depends if you have the glasses spacer in the headset, etc.

I’m taking the path of “least amount of tweaks as possible” and that has seemed to help me get things smoother. I reset all my nvidia settings, PC power settings etc etc and just changed the few that @TonyTazer1504 mentions in his post. I just find it stops you chasing your tail after updates.

Also, without wanting to get into a heated debate about things I have no idea about, I believe that asobo are intending to get this sim running on PC’s that don’t have a billion tweaked settings in NVIDIA control panel, with process priority changes and funky settings etc etc so as we get each update I revert my driver and PC power settings back to factory and tweak again from there. So far, every update to the sim, oculus app and NVIDIA drivers has resulted in less “under the hood” faffing from me.

So a positive direction I think!

I’m new this year to PC gaming (but use PC’s for my sound engineering work) and I started out tweaking everything to “PHOAARR MOOORE POWEEERR!!” Mode when I first built the pc. But I’ve realised I wasn’t helping and I shouldn’t try to fix things unless they are broken haha.

I’ve rambled… hope that helps.

3 Likes

2 Likes

@CroppingPoem113 many thanks, great insights!
It’s true Oculus v27 Beta locks the refresh rate at 72hz no matter what, however Oculus v26 also works fine now again (revert by opting out from Beta again). I learned that in a FB group and was able to revert back: NO FLASHES, very smooth performance AND again the ability to change the refresh rate.

It’s amazing how smooth and stable FS runs recently! My current sweet spot is the following (didn’t change any graphic details):

• went from 60% to 80% game render scale (can even do 100% on bush trips etc.)

OTT:

• went from 1.6 to 1.7 super-sampling
  • ASW off
  • GPU scaling off
  • 80hz refresh rate again with Oculus v26
  • FOV of 0.8, 0.9 (needed to go a bit higher not to notice the display borders)
  • Server priority “above normal”, but will follow your advice and revert to “normal”

I have to say I’m very happy with the performance and really love what the Oculus super-sampling does to the image, but I find your approach with 100%-120% in game and SS switched off interesting and will give it a try.

Wow 150Mbits/sec wow mine is at 20Mbits/sec in the quest app no wonder the graphics look blurry
My setup is. Ryzen 5600 32 gb 3200 ram and a 3080 card
But I don’t have gigabyte power lines for the VD side I still get around 650mbs to 700mbs using WiFi and I’ll check the other suggestions too as a wired connection in my mind is just not worth it at the moment

Thank you for all your help, can you report back on this please?

Hi guys, for the ones that still follow, there has been so much going on with Oculus, Asobo, Nvidia and Windows updates, turning some well-established configs upside down, at least for me.

After again many hours of tweaking and testing I have finally reached again the shores of smoothness and could enjoy some wonderful Spitfire flights in the Mach Loop.

Some of you experienced tuners may again be surprised what I configured, as it’s partially quite contrary to common recommendations, but well, it works just awesome again, smooth and sharp, so please dare checking this out:

• Nvidia driver 461.92
  • Oculus v26 (Beta OFF), 80hz, resolution 3940x1984 (approx.)
  • Windows: HAGS ON, Game Mode ON (yes!!!)
  • OTT: SS at 1.9, FOV at 0.8, 0,8, ASW OFF, “Adaptive GPU scaling” ON (yes!!!)
  • Game: 60% render scale, same settings as in my original guide above.

OTT super-sampling at 1.9 casts an unbelievable sharp yet butter-smooth image due to game renderscale of only 60% - you have to see this!

2 Likes