Trim is sooo slow, Honeycomb Bravo

I flew the DA40 TDI yesterday after some time off from the sim. I noticed how extremely slow the trim was, especially nose down trim. The problem was mostly with the trim wheel. I don’t know about the other aircraft, haven’t really flown that much lately.

Is this a problem introduced with SU8 or is it a problem on my end?

4 Likes

Mine is the same

First time since SU8 update was released I fired up the sim yesterday.

I use the Bravo aswell together with spad.next and was observing the same issue with the trim wheel. Basically it is useless again. I will give it a break with flying now and wait for an update which fixes this mess :smiley: it’s not the first time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Go to simhanger on youtube, and all of you will get an explanation and a way to fix it.

2 Likes

Thanks. I tried it once but I wasn’t very satisfied with the results. You either had to make bigger increments, which made it hard to trim out the plane, or add a delay to the trim so it kept trimming even after releasing the trim button/wheel.

Maybe it’s worth checking it out again because the current state of the trim is almost making it impossible to fly in an enjoyable way.

2 Likes

The trim function on the Honeycomb Bravo is essentially a button press function! EG every time you roll it forward or back it is the equivalent of pushing a button. If you give three short rolls forward for example that is the equivalent of three button presses. Personally I don’t find it a problem and have no trouble flying (including after SU8). If you’re not happy there is much on YouTube about fixes and and alternatives.

1 Like

I don’t know how DCS works but I find that the trim wheel works so much better in that sim.
It’s nice you’re happy but it doesn’t change the fact that you have to roll the wheel a lot more than you have to in reality, at least in the DA40 TDI. I’ve flown the Twin Otter after SU8 and I think the trim was fine in that plane.
Thanks for the tip but I haven’t found a good fix online.

This is a very good video on the subject and even talks of a piece of software that can be downloaded as a fix. I recommend this YouTube channel thoroughly, its a mine of useful information.

1 Like

Yes, I talked about that just before. It results in either too large trim increments or a delayed trim input. But I guess this is the best solution so far.

That solution requires 3 downloads and is not very user friendly in my mind. It’s better to cook up something of your own using an App that can read a game controller like the Bravo or similar and interact with the sim via simconnect. I use Air Manager for this and it works really well.

X-Plane likewise.
In MSFS I’ve mapped a spare lever for trim and ignore the Bravo wheel.

1 Like

Search for SPAD.NEXT and Honeycomb Bravo Trim Wheel in the forums here… it fixes the issue, or at least makes it workeable.

Moved to Peripherals.

Please note that there is a workaround thread here, in addition to the SimHangar video. I do not own a Bravo and therefore cannot comment on what works and what doesn’t.

Some models require only a few clicks to get in trim. Others require more. I have a button and a clicky knob set for trim. I use the clicky knob for the few click ones, and I hold down the button for the others. The Vertigo is one that requires the button version, for example.

FSUIPC7 and be done with it. It has a learning curve and it’s not exactly user-friendly, but support on their website is excellent and you can dial in absolutely every possible control and input you can possibly imagine. You can change your trim wheel effectiveness for different airplanes to the touch of a feather. And once it is set up you can adjust the trim in 5 seconds and dial it in to exactly where you want it.

The issue still qualifies as a bug and a regression, as it used to work properly a couple sim updates back. Workarounds are nice temporarily but shouldn’t stop Asobo from tackling this :wink:

3 Likes

There’s a bug report right here:

I moved this thread out of General Discussion.

Button click was introduced to accommodate Xbox/ Xbox controllers, I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s deliberate, unfortunately it doesn’t play well with Honeycomb

Recently (SU6?) a new keybinding “INCREASE WHEEL SPEED” was added without any notice. The description says “Allow double the speed at which the ‘wheel’ type instruments are moving (e.g. trim wheel).” I’ve tried this and it seems to work. I think the keybinding should be assigned to a button making it active when pressed and inactive when not pressed. The trim is changed much faster than the default.

Also, there was discussion in other topics about aircraft with electric trim, that is no trim wheel. For electric trim, I’ve added the keybinding “ELEVATOR TRIM AXIS (-100 to 100%) to one of the Bravo levers. (Centering the lever = 0 trim.) Depending on the aircraft, the trim moves very fast, definitely not slow. This also seems to work quite well. Any trim wheel keybindings should probably be removed if Electric Trim is used.

Thanks for sharing this, but it still sounds like a bandaid. A feature that used to work and is now broken is called a regression. Yes, it was done to accommodate Xbox but it affects many PC simmers. I think we‘ve gotten used a little too much to look for workarounds where a proper fix is due. I won’t hold my breath on it though.

4 Likes