Triple Monitors Support (different resolutions)

I used VR in combination with the Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift on FSX (FlyInside VR add on needed, $29) and it’s very impressive. If I have to choose between triple monitor support or VR support for Oculus headsets, I would like to see that last one first. I have some clips were you can see me flying in VR, but they’re all in dutch, so I’am not going to post them here (probably the filesize would be to big too). It’s an experience you have to see and feel yourself anyway, a clip is a clip, it looks nice, but you have to experience it with an headset on your head.!

Here’s a screenshot of me flying with the Oculus Rift in VR (FSX)

Going crazy…it feels so real !

1 Like

MSFS is supposed to support VR, no reason they shouldn’t do both. With our triple monitor we have a touchscreen where the instrument panel shows up and can use AirManager with Knobster to be able to manipulate a Garmin G1000 panel. I assume you must have that capability with VR, but exactly how do you flip switches and turn knobs with VR?

1 Like

Indeed. I too, have ran several flight sims including DCS with Oculus Rift. It’s a long story. But to summarize, while exceptionally engaging, two issues made it not viable for me (this was a year ago). First, the resolution just wasn’t good enough. For a fast-paced game of DCS, perhaps that can be ignored. But if you are cruising in an 172, not being able to read the instrument panels until you stick you nose up to a dial was an issue. Then there was the fact that 30 fps wasn’t enough for VR.

With 4K VRs that one can buy today, I think one issue is resolved.

Welcome to the Forum GhostwriterBE! I tried VR a couple of years ago and was not happy with that particular iteration. The Resolution was not good, the Framerate couldn’t keep up with the Sim, and the Headset gave me a headache after about 20-minutes of use. Admittedly this was two years ago and I’m sure the technology has taken great strides since then. I still vote for multi-monitor support first from our friends at MS. I hope that you enjoy our community! - Vic -

1 Like

Because of the MSFS graphics and a very “long term” implementation required (XBox and fix the bugs first):

It would be great if MS/Asobo would implement a server/client based system that would allow us to add client PCs connecting to a server. Then we could attain 4K/8K across all displays. 3 to 5 outside displays, one cockpit dash display, one overhead display, one VFR display. The server would implement the information to the clients so that they can do the work of displaying the graphics individually at high resolution.

This “is” a long term goal I would like to see attained and talked about by MS/Asobo in their monthly QA session. Then we could have it all!

1 Like

For turning knobs and flip switches you’ll have to use ‘The Force’ :slight_smile:
No, just kidding, you can use your virtual hands (Oculus Rift/Quest). This way you can flip switches and turn knobs in VR/FSX (when using the Flyinside VR add-on) but not all of them, it depends from cockpit to cockpit, but in most planes the most important ones work. You can even use the virtual hands on the yoke, but that’s very difficult and gives a complete different feeling then using a joystick or other traditional hardware.

BTW : on the above screenshot you can see that my propeller is working, but yesterday after more than 15 hours installing and updating I did my first flight in MSFS 2020 (at least that was the idea, crash in less than 30 seconds) and there the propeller does not seem to be animated anymore. It’s just there, but not moving. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Love it :smiley:

So while we all wait for the mutli-screen issue to be resolved, what would you all recommend as the ideal single screen monitor to use in a 4K setting?

I’m ready to roll here, screen being the last thing I need.

Thank you.

I’ve been using three ViewSonic VX3211-2K-MHD 32" IPS VQHD Monitors with a 2560 X 1440 native resolution since April 2019. I am very pleased with these Monitors and have had no issues with them at all. They utilize Display Port, but they also will accept HDMI as well. I got them from Amazon (where else), with free Prime delivery for $894.57 total for the three of them. Not 4K but works well for me on a budget. - Vic -

LG CX 48" currently is the best.

The remote is a joke, but the picture quality/response time is the best.

That’s interesting that you are using the three 1440 monitors, RS4544.

Could you do me a huge favor and do a print screen inside of the TBM, please? Sitting in a normal forward position (take-off/landing position). I am curious what the left and right side viewing looks like. I know that the sides are distorted, somewhat, but at least it does not look like you are flying in tunnel-vision mode. Thanks in advance, if you can do that!

I have considered asking any of the after-market plane builders if they would consider having an option that the cockpit view could have the pillars removed if the user would prefer it that way. By having an option like that then users who have 4K monitors could always see the runway without having to use Track-IR or the Phone tracker. If it makes sense to create a post so that this topic stands out then I could do that.

Mark -

I’m sorry, I gave you the wrong impression that I was able to use these three Monitors in MSFS2020. I’m not! MSFS2020 is still only a one Monitor program at this point in time, so I’m only using the front Monitor with this FS until MS decides to do something different. I was simply explaining that I have these three Monitors that I currently use with X-Plane V11 natively. When MS decides that we deserve a multi-monitor function, then I will be able to use all three of these with that SIM. If and when that ever happens!! There are guys out there that are currently using a multi-monitor set-up, but not natively, and having to jump through some hoops to get there. Perhaps those guys can provide you with that information as well. I’m going to wait until MS provides this support natively! Sorry about giving you a false impression that I was using the three Monitors with MSFS2020. - Vic -

No worries, Mate! I have been itching to try a triple 1440 setup. I love my 4K TV, I just wish I could see more on the sides.

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Be careful with resolution for triple monitor setup. 3xfull HD (1920x1080) results in 5900x1080 (with bezel correction applied), it’s a lot of pixels already to handle for you GPU. If you go even higher you will probably need 3080 at least with MFS2020.

1 Like

This may help:

1 Like

I use three monitors and extend the MSFS window approximately 50% across the left & right monitors. This gives me a reasonable side view (with some distortion at the sides) but leaves me space to pop out some of the instruments without them obscuring the FOV.
I am running 4k Acer monitors on a RTX3090 which does help with performance (got fed up waiting for a RTX 3080 which has been on back order since release day).

2 Likes

Multimonitor is being worked on now and is coming in 2021-2022: https://youtu.be/u9lMr9JXU04

2 Likes

Hi, I also have 3 4K acer monitors, and an RTX3090 (i9-10980XE CPU). When you use MSFS in windowed mode and drag it partially across, are you using 4K resolution in MSFS, or dropping it to a lower resolution? If lower resolution, are you changing the MSFS resolution setting, or changing MSFS graphics settings to lower render scaling–I’ve heard that might be preferable to changing the resolution itself from 4K.
Thanks for your experience,
Mark

Sounds like you have a similar build to me.
I have the monitors set at 4K, NVIDIA and MSFS at 4k too. I adjusted the NVIDIA and MSFS graphics settings as per another post on optimising 4K performance and for me overall, I have a good smooth flying experience.

My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2 - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

These setting adjustments were against a RTX2070 but were a good starting point for me. I’m not one of the “must have 60FPS” junkies as I realise that a game of this complexity is never going to achieve that consistently at 4K with todays hardware.

Maybe in the new year I’ll update my motherboard/CPU to one with PCIe4 as I’m sure that will improve performance slightly.
There are lots of posts here reporting people with good graphics cards find they’re limited by CPU single thread and there’s currently a battle between AMD and Intel over who has the best single performance.
Having a CPU with good multithread performance is important but single thread performance is critical for the way MSFS works.
Intel are due to release a new CPU Q1 2021 and from the reports I’ve read, they’re suggesting it will beat the latest AMD CPUs in terms of single thread performance. Time will tell.
I’ll wait to see how the benchmarks turn out before deciding whether to swing in the Intel or AMD direction.

3 Likes

Using one 49 inch ULTRA WIDE and two 29 inch monitors.

I have to play in the WINDOWED MODE always as Nvidia surround doesn’t pick up my configuration due to that Ultrawide monitor in the center probably.

I get that annoying white boundary in windowed mode, if I try to remove it through SRWE software/, it starts giving graphic glitches/artifacts

Is there a way to remove the white boundaries in the windowed mode without the glitches/artifacts through some other software?

1 Like