VR looks washed out with G2

Hi all. Just struggling to get VR looking anywhere near as vibrant as it does in 2D. I’ve just upgraded from a Quest 2 to a Reverb G2. Initially, I thought that the washed out, bleached look was a limitation of the Q2, but the G2 is just as bad. If ever I lift up the headset, during mid-flight, I cannot believe how lush the world looks on my monitor.

As far as I can tell, there are no in-game settings that will inject any vibrancy to the world. It seems to be an MSFS issue, as everything looks bright and cheerful in VR in the cliff house. Is there anything that can be done to improve the colours?

1 Like

Hi @MojoAir are you running MSFS on Steam or WMR. Steam has OpenVR Toolkit which has a brightness setting. I use WMR OpenXR and I can’t say brightness is an issue - I find the colours very natural and very realistic in the G2. Some photogrammetry can look a bit dull though.

I haven’t noticed this at all with my Rift S. Try taking a screenshot in VR and viewing it on your monitor. There’s a good chance your monitor is just calibrated to provide more vibrancy. This could be from onboard settings or Windows settings (HDR or Windows color calibration).

Thanks both. I’m not using Steam, as I’m trying to keep the layers down to a minimum. So it’s OpenXR and WMR. Maybe my expectations are a bit high.

VR will always remain VR, I just went from an Oculus CV1 to an HP Reberv G2, if the deffiition is much higher, it’s still VR, even if we no longer see the pixel grid.
They could have improved the colors with Amoled tiles like on the CV1, but maybe the cost wouldn’t have been the same. In terms of performance, I don’t know if Amoled tiles would have required more performance.
If you stick your face on your flat screen, like in a VR headset, I’m sure the image will look a lot less beautiful.
You should also know what you have as a PC configuration, and if it is sufficient to take advantage of the G2

It’s not the VR panels. As I stated in my OP, the colours in the Cliff House are vibrant. As to whether my system is capable, I have a 5950X, coupled with an RTX 3090 and 32gb RAM@3600, so enough to scrape by.

We do not all have the same eyes, nor the same expectations. There is also the one who will have started VR with the G2 and another like me who will have done for 5 years with a CV1, or even a DK2.
But to come back to this story of faded colors, I saw on the forum someone who found the greens too bright with the Rift S

Just received my upgrade from G1 to G2.
Remove the blue protection film.
Find the right - switched - USB port that actually works.
Removed the foam, in G2 held by magnets.
Great FOV.

What helps ‘vibrancy’ maybe is NVIDIA settings, set ‘sharpen’ On, 100% …

I do agree using VR Oculus quest and FS2020 from the microsoft store. Also for me everything looks a little washed out. I barely can read the the panel instruments numbers and i keep have to zoom in with the right mouse button to make check on the panel instruments. I still can fly but I do agree, it’s not as crisp as looking on a monitor.

There is one more setting on the VR (Oculus quest) desktop software, where I think I remember I can change the VR resolution. I will give it a try later and see what happens if I increase. I’m sure the framerate will go down…

I know what you are saying, but I travelled the same path as you, having gone through the various Oculus iterations first. I’m about 4+ years in, so not completely naive to the shortcomings of VR.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve already got sharpness on in Nvidia. I turned that on when I had the Quest 2 rigged up, and have left it the same.

I think it matters how you define “washed out”. I find the colors in VR mode more realistic than those in the 2D version. The colors may not appear as vibrant and crisp in VR, but that’s not how I see the real world anyway, especially as you start to gain altitude.

Thank you, as soon as I am done with the CTDs, I will be interested in all these topics.

1 Like

Don’t laugh to loud, I remember the first days when everybody received their fist Oculus headset, a certain number forgotten to remove the transparent lens protection and posted on forums :wink:

At the same time, I saw on the forum, a person who had bought a high-end GPU, and who did not understand why their VR headset was not working.
He had plugged it into the motherboard with the GPU integrated into the CPU

2 Likes

Have a look here:

or

or

or

and

:wink:

4 Likes

Thank you, as soon as I am done with the CTDs, I will be interested in all these topics.

What sharpness level do you use? I’ve found that it can make buildings in the distance more pixelated and “shimmery”

Completely agree. I wish the G2 FS visuals were as vibrant as on my monitor… It’s OK though,you get used to it. That’s simply as good as it gets right now. But yeah they should add a saturation scale or something.

I have a feeling it is cranked up to the maximum, but I’m away from my PC atm. I’ll check properly. I think it does create its own problems, as the wing struts in the Cessna152 look like they are made of sugar, and the grass looks like there’s been a heavy frost. I’m pretty sure that is related to the sharpness setting. I need to have a play with it.