WAS Hoping for an Asobo Press Release

As a whole, SU5 was a huge success. Now obviously people who experience crashes will disagree (which is fair enough).

There are still fixes and improvements to be made for sure, but the foundation is now in place and they focus their efforts on other projects/improvements within MSFS.

1 Like

They haven’t broken anything (technically), just dumbed it down massively when they said they wouldn’t…

Actually they have broke a lot of things. SU5 introduced breaking changes to the sim and to third party addons. Things like: Altitude/Heading selectors not working on the A320. Liveries failing and displaying this glowing pink checkered textures. Weather system is messed up. All these things broke because of the update. So I don’t get what you mean when you say “they haven’t broke anything”

7 Likes

One would think that with all of the work, money, time etc on this game being spent from the developers that they would address the problems to the customers right away and in detail . Communication has been very bad from them when these major issues happen.

2 Likes

They haven’t broken anything …that a lot of people have noticed or cared about. Which is different from what you can find broken by looking at the weather,aircraft behavior,instruments,etc. or at least “the new broken things” ( because some have never really worked to be honest) which will then be fixed and broken again rinse & repeat again for the next 10 years (of guaranteed commitment) .Will be enough to wait patiently and possibly also keeping quiet about everything and with a nice smile … so as not to seem too offensive or create a climate that is not suitable for development.

Live weather is broken, ISA is completely wrong. Many issues after this update including the xbox downgrade for PC players

4 Likes

Oh I understand your frustration. Especially for airliner pilots this must be extremely frustrating. since MSFS currently focusses more on optics because it IS the biggest selling point AND the biggest difference to XPlane and P3D (and please don’t argue about the SU5 downgrade now: this can be partially remedied and I’m sure Asobo will adress the issue as well). If I were an airliner pilot, I’d be flying P3D until the PMDG 737 comes out and the ATC is working better.

For me - as a GA pilot - I’m having the time of my life with MSFS. It’s far from perfect, but the flying experience in unparalleled when it comes to actually FLYING a plane through the world.

The biggest problem is expectations:
if you’re switching from a product that has been on the market for ages - to a completely new one there are bound to be problems. When P3D came out it was barely more than a slightly improved FSX with very good addon planes (and it cost 500,- USD). XPlane 10 wasn’t really very good in the beginning either and todays XPlane 11 also isn’t a new program but only an improved XPlane 10. Most stock FSX planes were generally horrible (apart from the C172 - they always managed to get that right somehow) and air traffic and ATC in FSX wasn’t any better than in FS2002

So both those products - P3D and XPlane - are at least 10 years old already and there are tons of mods, 3rd party aircraft, scenery add ons and of course updates by the devs that made those programs what they are today:
Very very very good and reliable but totally out of date.

So it’s basically a question of what you want. In Germany we have an expression: “eierlegende Wollmilchsau” It means the perfect animal that lays eggs, produces wool as well as milk and meat which of course doesn’t exist.

But basically people demand exactly THAT of MSFS. And IMHO that’s simply not realistic, and also it has never even remotely been done before. MSFS will have to evolve to become what P3D and XPlane are today, but nevertheless MSFS already has at least one distinct advantage - maybe more:
Fact is: nothing does VFR flying better (apart from the real thing)

5 Likes

Agree!
But I must say that GA also is very far from reality.
There still is no C172/152 that is even close to real world. I started to fly some hours on real 172. It is so disappointing to see how MSFS cessnas are behaving.
I’m sure that in 5 years this will all be great. But please allow me to be sad, as then, I will be in my fifties and I’m afraid that I’ll be “too old for this s…” :slight_smile:

Technically they spoke on Thursday.

1 Like

Im not sure about that, maybe for Xbox folks. (no disrespect meant)

I havent seen the forums this “lively” since the original launch when the game crashed and ran like :poop:

Most other WU and SU’s were different, not this rowdy.

1 Like

Forums are rarely a good measurement for such things. In general, how often do people tend to send praise/positive stuff to companies? If you are a happy customer you keep using their product(s) but you rarely take the time to contact them about it.

If you have a complaint you however are much more likely to get in touch or in other ways voice your opinion.

There is a small but vocal group of people who see Xbox users as their enemies, they wouldn’t like to let any new people into their sphere, so they will take every opportunity to boost their claim.

As I’ve said before, I totally understand the frustration for those who experience crashes or the sim won’t even load (and it’s not due to mods etc), but I know that those kind of issues are prioritized and they have data on how many users are affected by crashes etc.

1 Like

Ever since updates started rolling out you have winners and loosers with the SU. I have had no problem until SU3, all of a sudden random CTDs started happening. It has gotten better but not like the first 3 months where I had no problems what so ever.

This is not a stable product, also echoed by Aerosoft who shelved their traffic add on after the SU5, it basically borked the code with encryption and the product will no longer be made. This is just a big mess and the updates have an adverse effect on some and that makes it a risk. Your game will work fine and the next update you are in CTD hell or things change that are not listed in the notes.

Take it or leave it…at this point…this is the product.

3 Likes

Have you tried the C152 mod on flightsim.to. It’s supposed to be a complete overhaul aimed for reality

Did I stumble into the Star Citizen forum by mistake?

3 Likes

I have a little land you can claim just outside Heathrow if you are interested. :wink:

1 Like

I see this point made a lot.
It is perfectly valid to argue that only dissatisfied customers express their concerns while the happy campers are just out there playing. I get that.

But looking at the views and comments numbers on the SU5 threads, the dissatisfaction is, at the very least, orders of magnitude higher vs previous releases on the same forums.

Personally I understand the RTX3080+ crowd who are bothered by the graphics downgrades
I also understand the mid range folks who are happy with the performance boost. Both POVs are valid.
The MSFS team job is to find the right balance to satisfy these two groups, and it is not easy.

I am more concerned with the constant CTDs and functional issues in SU5. Basic quality control, quality assurance, etc.

In software, bugs are triaged.
The worst kind is called ‘show stoppers’, the kind of bugs that break stability or basic functionality so much, that the release will not happen if it is not fixed.

Example: In Flight Simulator SU5, after a few CTDs, when I flew my first mission (Naples) and took the plane lower, displayed altitude went up.

I dunno. Maybe reading altitude is not an issue for 99% of the pilots, and it’s foolish to think otherwise :wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

Hotfix for the Hotfix on final approach?

1 Like

The large number of comments is partly down to the same people commenting the same thing in several different threads.

2 Likes

The worst thing you can have in any business is a bunch of irritated customers because they will let their thoughts be known even if no one asks. Rarely do people who have received a great product or great service to out to a forum and say so. But when you look at the totality of things that simply no longer work you will see why the forums have somewhat erupted. I said several times in other threads that before SU5, I had a perfectly functional longitude model. Now there are the two mods that made it work so well that have been rendered useless and you are stuck with pretty much the original MSFT model, which in and of itself has multiple issues that MSFT/Asobo never addressed. SO now between the ctd’S i never had before, live weather becoming a joke after SU5 and all the other issues, the most common claim people make is “don’t worry, they will be issuing a hotfix soon to address those issues” right AFTER the hotfix they issued failed to address the things they claimed. So yes, the natives are restless…

4 Likes

They took out a whole bunch of folks with SU5 who were playing prior and now can’t start it without CTD. The hotfix added another crapload of people to that.

And that’s not to mention al the Xbox players having the same issues.

You or I may not be affected, but many, many very ■■■■■■ off simmers are.

4 Likes