WAS Hoping for an Asobo Press Release

lol Called it…

5 Likes

How many times have they said they are working on communication. Um since Aug 2020. Most of us would have been fired from our day jobs if we had the same track record as this group of people.

6 Likes

Besides making the graphics being worse, there are a ton of bugs and CTDs. I never had CTDs prior to this update.

I won’t take the time to repeat them here, but I have posted many bugs in 1.18.x.x bug thread.

2 Likes

Really happy to see message from @Jummivana that they are triaging and working on a fix!

Thank You @Jummivana !! :slight_smile:

Most people who enjoy a properly working game, play the game. The only time they visit forums is to look for tips. So all the negative talk is because people aren’t playing or things that worked before aren’t now. Its to confirm that the program is at fault and not their system.
Xbox users are crying they don’t know how to do something…
Bottom line is unhappy people need reassurance things will be fixed.
The hot fix came out quick because Asobo knew they broke things so they rushed a bandaid to fix a broken leg…
No other way to look at it.

1 Like

Well they have certainly made it worse. Up until the latest update I was fortunate not to suffer from any CTD’s or freezes since it’s introduction, it was just the FPS stuttering that affected me. Now with the latest updates I’m lucky if it doesn’t freeze or CTD. Maybe 1 in 10 flights I don’t get a problem.

3 Likes

Very true.
There are a lot of people voicing their concerns, some are satisfied with the release.
But I think we can all agree that the mods are bearing the brunt of the backlash. It’s not easy for them I’m sure. Kudos to them for keeping it cool.

they fix popping and ctd, but RAM management aka viewdistance i doubt MSFS 2020 will ever make use of a pc (with 16-32 GB RAM and fast GPU) again…back to MSFS 2010

1 Like

Doesn’t matter how much Asobo, the CMs, or even Jorg says it. This is Microsoft. Nothing gets released without approval from the PR and legal teams who will sanitize and make sure that there’s a lot of words that say as little as possible.

This happens above the heads of the MSFS team. Jorg may be the head of MSFS, but he still answers to several layers of corporate overlords above him.

3 Likes

Exactly. The problem is that Jorg, Asobo, and the poor Community Managers have been constantly apologizing and indicating a need for improved communication and quality control, yet after 11 months we’re back to square one with the Sim Update 5 mess. Words only mean so much when time and time again the same thing keeps happening. It might be time for Microsoft to start hiring some more contractors/employees to help Asobo because clearly something is not working.

6 Likes

Well seeing how Asobo have been trying to hire programmers for MSFS since Aug 2020 and getting nobody hired one has to wonder why they don’t want to go work for them. Lack of communication is only one of their problems.

From a PR standpoint this kind of commitment can work very well.

How effective it can be on the short term, for the product itself, I dunno.
It takes time to hire people, etc…

Annoying as it is, often times the best thing to do is say nothing and figure out what’s going on. Asobo as no doubt been aware of the huge wave of negative feedback. Knowing that just rolling back is the wrong move (and likely impossible at this stage) they are probably looking at each primary issue and figuring out what is a bug, what is a feature request, what is user error, what is universal vs conditional, what was intentional versus unintentional, writing user stories for engineers to solve the legit bugs, reviewing code changes for missed errors, working on some level of statement, and overall just figuring out how to move forward.

People might think they want some half-assed apology but the best thing for all of us is for Asobo to do what I have no doubt they are doing, which is the painful and complicated process of patching various things on a massive update and working to bridge the gap between the expectations and reality of SU5, potentially over several future updates.

Give them time.

3 Likes

Regardless, no other major developer is as involved with their community as Asobo. Holding timely Dev Q&As at timely intervals, taking requests, giving an outline of the future, having active requests/wish lists that get worked on. What other major developer does that? and takes the feedback to implementation or at least looks into it regardless of the outcome. Not many, if any. But apparently, what I’m seeing more and more is it’s never enough. Few issues for few people on a major update and it’s the end of the world, bring out the guillotine, time to roll some heads. Jeez people, there is such a thing as patience.

3 Likes

Maybe they shouldn’t make promises they either can’t keep or don’t intend on keeping. Then the subjects may not start rioting in the streets and calling for peoples’ heads.

1 Like

You look correctly at the technical side of the problem and it is (usually) up to the developers / project managers to focus and find a solution. It is part of a senior managers job to communicate with apparently unhappy customers, which covers the market communication side of things.

It is the second part many are missing and thereby Asobo intentionally or unintentionally further deteriorates the customer opinion / trust, which voices itself in frustration in forums like this.

2 Likes

How on earth can you say it’s a huge success? al it’s done is give people a load of CTD’s and downgrade the graphics?

1 Like

NineMile1Tech Alpha Insider

2h

I am not sure if rolling back to SU4 is the answer? If you did that you would create problems for low end PC and Xbox user. It requires a fix.
Now I did another CYVR to CYVR flight using the CJ4 is this is what I noticed.

1. Asobo must be working on a fix things are changing from yesterday.
    a. The pause button on the upper menu is no longer visible?
    b. No problem starting the sim.
    c. No crashes in 3 hours of flying good news.
    d. WT CJ4 update V12.6 works great.
  2. Observation in the flight:
    a. Do not use Ultra or high setting in Volumetric Clouds it will being your fps to a crawl 35fps down to 15fps. The program does not like full clouds with the higher setting medium is OK.

If you look at this screen shot you will notice the patch of ground is not loading in or low quality.
Possible reasons:
a. The upload from the server never went higher than 80 kbps. Before it was 3 Mbps to 7 Mbps in a rural area. The download speed never changed in 2 hours of flying.
b. The CPU Memory was restricted to 4.762GB out of 32GB “Assuming it had no memory available to load it in to”
c. The GPUMem budget was 2.766GB out of 8GB " Since the GPU was running @ 95% one can assume the GPU was trying to load the scenery but could not because of the restriction.
d. The above is all related to last update these restrictions were not there before.
3. Quality of scenery
a. If you move from inside view to outside view or move your position the scenery has to redraw. “Culling”.
b. The program is setup in such a way that you only get quality scenery close up and it deteriorates farther away from you. So as you move closer to the next scenery it has to re-draw. “Popping”
c: This was Asobo’s solution to save CPU memory and GPU memory for the Xbox.

So what is the solution? For PC users and Xbox users?
I am sure Microsoft does not want to run two servers for PC and another for Xbox.
As stated previously if you move back to SU4. Xbox will not be able to run this simulator properly. If you leave it as is. The PC user specially high end users will not be able to run it properly.
Is there a middle ground? I believe that is what Microsoft/Asobo tried to accomplish?
There is always a trade off Quality, Speed, Frame Rate and Hardware.
I am sorry I do not have the answer it is above my pay grade.
Let’s hope Microsoft/Asobo comes up with the answ

3 Likes

That’s an interesting viewpoint. So SU5 is a foundation for a future, yet to be erected, construction?

I thought MSFS was supposed to be an existing product, and that the updates were intended to improve it not create a foundation for something else.

Must have missed the memo.

Microsoft should have said “This Flight Simulator will be limited to the Xbox functions” Right from the beginning.
They did not! If you watch their own video they stated that the PC flight sim program would never be compromised for the Xbox. Microsoft words “Dumbed down”.
Developer Q&A Twitch Series: Xbox/PC Improvements - June 30th, 2021

4 Likes