Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!2

Interesting to see after the switch is what appears to be fragments of the original cloud structure

14 Likes

Also had switch but for me it didn’t get worse this time?

05:57Z

5 Likes

It feels like it changes to same data only different type of rendering? How many switches did you notice today?

1 Like

Wow that’s a good capture and a really great example of why the live weather is so inconsistent, it went from looking awesome in your first pic to really awful after the change.

The devs need to prioritise this

11 Likes

Perfect video to show the problem. Clouds look completely realistic to begin with then change to scattered generic rubbish. I hope that this is being passed on to the devs.

Unfortunately I don’t think we are supposed to be getting the “before” clouds any more. I worry that they will “fix” it by going the other way and rather than restoring the original style clouds, they will remove them altogether and leave us with the scattered generic ones.

10 Likes

Why can’t we know anything from both the developers and moderators? :frowning: there is so much evidencesin this thread but not a word of acknowledgement…

16 Likes

It may just be that they have their hands full getting SU10 production ready. Let’s get that out the way, then they may have time to look at other things more closely.

Actually i thought su10 should have fixed those issues with weather. We have waited since su7 to get those switches/hard transitions fixed. Well, need to wait for su11 to maybe get it fixed.

10 Likes

i found the end of weather!

10 Likes

It would be incredible if we could just get this back permanently.

I wouldn’t mind if we just had the option to either switch METAR insertions on or off ourselves, just to get this. That way everyone could be happy - those who need METARs for VATSIM can have it on, those who don’t can switch it off.

Out of interest, if the good clouds disappear at 0700 Z, what time to they get switched on? Could anyone in other parts so the world during the night UK time (West Coast USA?) say whether they consistently appear at a certain time as well. I couldn’t see any answers here. Apologies if I missed them.

6 Likes

And while they’re at it, could they lose that ■■■■ summer snow cover when its 25C?

2 Likes

I see this too in SU9.

5 Likes

We know that the switch between good and bad weather happens at 07:04 zulu time. But does someone know at what time the switch between bad and good weather happens ?

1 Like

Just wondering if there has been anything further on this do you know Hester?

Thanks
Andy

5 Likes

Hey Andy,
Currently, it hasn’t been reviewed. We have received word that these would be gone through. Since Olie left Asobo, this is being reassigned to others and I would think that after SU10 Beta is out… all these would be looked at. I just pulled a quick look and there’s about 100 topics tagged for review. So, whoever gets this job, has a lot to do.

But I keep watching it. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks for the update, I don’t envy the person taking on that task! Hopefully it can be investigated then once SU10 is released. I’ve been looking through some of my pre-SU7 screenshots and it is so sad to see how the clouds used to look, compared to what we have now.

Thanks for chasing this up!
Andy

13 Likes

First and foremost: a big thankyou to @SealedVolcano50 for bringing this up, @Perrry for providing evidence, @AndyXPO for the persistence and @Hester40MT for relaying this up the foodchain - and to all other contributors of course.

Believing strongly that nothing has taken as serious a hit as the weather depiction with SU5 and mainly SU7 I find it pretty frustrating that some committed users may have found a major clue for the devs to poke into and hopefully find out what is causing a once great weather depiction to be mostly generic and artificial and yet it seems to be stuck in a pile of unread topics with uncertain outcome.

I sincerely hope there’s some prioritising going on and that former official statements of the importance of the in-game weather are still valid.

11 Likes

I’ ll post this here too, as i don’t know anymore what to think of the weather in ghe sim.

This was Dublin and its METAR clouds

And outside the METAR area (though nit in all airports this phenomenon happen) rhe cloyds look very good

Please, Asobo whatever is causing thise bad clouds fix it it’s been a year in November since su7 when the beautiful and realistic weather we had died!!!

At arrival in Lindon Derry another METAR area is destroying the clouds

7 Likes

Yes, whatever it is just fix it. Su7 caused those issues to appear. If clouds are not changed to fit METAR, then what is it that makes it worse after su7? Why implement hard transitions and stuff if it doesn’t need to fit METAR. Then i can’t see why they needed to change it into the bad system we have after su7.

8 Likes

Here is what we know about the weather engine (including what has been explained by Asobo)

• Meteoblue data is received in the form of 6 hour forecasts every 6 hours for the entire world
  • MSFS does not use METAR data for cloud generation
  • Hour one of the Meteoblue data includes some live data blended in by Meteoblue, and presumably Asobo only blends live data for the following hours
  • If the previous is true, then between hours 1 and 2 a completely different system is likely used for blending live data. Asobo says they don’t blend METAR data for cloud generation, but that doesn’t mean Meteoblue doesn’t use some live data for its cloud generation (that would be included in the first hour of the forecast data)
  • There would necessarily have to be four (potentially) hard transitions a day (every 6 hours) from the previous 6 hour batch of forecast data to the new 6 hour batch of forecast data.
  • Since the data at hour 6 of the previous 6 hour forecast can be dramatically different than the data at in the first hour of the new 6 hour forecast data due to the 6 hour gap, that can result in the entire cloudscape changing from one minute to the next, and the only way to transition is by using a hard METAR-style transition due to a lack of future data during the time prior. Things change… A storm may not be where they predicted it to be 6 hours ago. They may have predicted partly cloudy skies 6 hours ago for this hour, and now it’s actually clear or overcast at the beginning of the new 6 hour batch of data, which again, includes live data from Meteoblue for the first hour, unlike hour 6 of the previous 6 hours of forecast data.
  • Pre-SU7 also had rough transitions, and even worse in some cases since the forecast hour was sometimes completely messed up or corrupted weather data would be injected.
  • It’s very difficult to test if the weather matches the data because we don’t have access to the raw 6 hour forecast data that Asobo has. Meteoblue’s nowcast cloud map is based on the most up to date data, including some live data, so it’s possible for MSFS to not match meteoblue’s cloud map and still be working as intended because it matches the data Asobo actually has.
3 Likes