What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

I’ll try that next time I’m in the neighborhood.

LPMA - CTD. It was awesome.

Try again over here… Paris, Sacre Coeur

6 Likes

Headed north east out of Saidor (AYSD), Papua New Guinea for Long Island.

3 Likes

Three legs today of my European Capitals tour in the CJ4 , Berlin to Prague then to Vienna, finally to Bratislava using a few 3rd party addons but frankly not really impressed. The last leg was only 24 miles so kept it down to 3000ft VFR and max 220kts. Silly ATC instructions again for take-offs (tailwind) but arrivals seemed to be okay. Taking the opportunity at each stop to explore the cities, mostly with the drone, but I’ve “rented” C152/C172 a couple of times from smaller local airports for the experience.

Getting the hang of this superb machine now, greaser landings every time.

Sixteen down, thirty one to go - didn’t realise there were so many, although I have been a bit liberal as Moscow and Iceland are stretching it a bit for Europe but as I’m in the area (!) why not?

1 Like

5 Likes

Today I flew from Austin TX (AUS) to Puerto Vallarta MX (PVR) in the A320 Airbus (I used the Wizz Air livery *I realized mid flight Wizzair does not typically do flights within the US.)

Descending into Puerto

*Deboarding passengers in Puerto *

3 Likes

nothing… swore at it constantly.

I wake up at 5:15 on a rainy morning before sunrise and decide a pre-dawn jaunt at my local airport would be nice.

7:50, the sun has been up well over an hour and the sim still hasn’t started.

Please… I am your biggest fan, but for the love of all that is holy… can you make the odds of an uneventful start to the sim even SLIGHTLY better than… “odds are, your gonna have a problem”

were I not retired with hours to waste… woulda given up long ago

edit: small note, I am now at 750 hours in FS2020 and around 1/3 to half that flight time (I would start the sim and check, but have not got all day) , this is not just a minor gripe by someone not prepared to stick with it…

It eventually got started… funnily enough EXACTLY when I said 'screw it, I am gonna start playing ELITE

also I am curious why with zero visibility, the only active ILS runway 34 was not in use, instead RWY16 with a 10knot tail wind? huh!?!?!?!?

Tomorrow… no flying, just meeting with a 747 veteran pilot irl, and will do my best not to bore him with questions,a s a real pilot, I could not imagine anything more annoying from a simmer (or not maybe). We both loved aviation… and we are both the only people I know from school now employed in the same industries as our hobbies. First time catching up since we binged Top Gun back when it was in the cinemas… yeah, BIG catch up and the only time I have been grateful for FB

1 Like

12nm before the finishing the France Bush trip…CTD. I laughed.

The trip was like a good book you don’t want to end.

When I re-booted the game, it started right where the CTD happened and I was able to finish.

Et Voila!

2 Likes

Palm Beach to Homestead in the Bandeirante, with lots of sightseeing in Fort Lauderdale and Miami along the way. I learned a lot of new things such as how close together Fort Lauderdale and Miami were (they could easily fit inside the Dallas, Houston, or Los Angeles metropolitan areas), that there were so many canals, or that the very southern tip of Florida was actually in the Everglades National Park which is why I stopped in Homestead for the day.

Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator 5_2_2021 5_23_14 AM.png… Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator 5_2_2021 5_38_18 AM.png…

4 Likes

actually I was quite surprised by the sheer volume of canals as well. It has been decades since I was in Florida, and mostly Central Florida (within eye shot of Travolta’s 707, which has followed me to Australia), but I don’t recall anywhere near that number of canals.

Does anyone care to enlighten us? Flood management? Irrigation? what’s the main reason? I mean real canals btw…not those residential alcoves, which remind me of Brisbane… a lot! (or vice versa).

I’m not from there, but it sounds like a combination of several reasons:

https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/overview-of-florida-waters/waterbody-types/canals/

1 Like

Finally completed the “World Traveller” achievement (Land at 500 Different Airports) :smile:

I decided to blitz the last 200 by visiting as many UK airports as I could as quickly as possible. I learned some things along the way that might be useful to others attempting this.

Firstly, land and brake to a standstill whilst still on the runway. Then watch for the spinning arrow at bottom right (which indicates MSFS is logging the landing against the achievement).

• If you see it then you can simply take off again (assuming you have enough runway!) and move on to the next airport. You do not need to exit the runway for this achievement to count.

• If you don’t see it then try turning around on the runway, going back towards the threshold and just before you reach it, brake. This seemed to trigger it for quite a few of my landings. However, after today I wondered if it could be related to the next issue I discovered - wind! (and not the kind caused by eating too many baked beans :wink: )

Landing when the headwind is above 20 kts sometimes (mostly!) caused the landing not to count. I think this is to do with the logic (if you could call it that!) which MSFS uses to determine if you have stopped. It seems to include the wind speed in the calculation! So if you are stationary on the runway after the landing and there is a 23 kts headwind MSFS says “you are still doing 23 kts so I am not going to count this as a landing”. Doing a 180 (previous point) sometimes corrected this but sometimes not. Today it was blowing a gale in the Shetlands, where I finished my trip and 50% of my landings didn’t trigger the spinning arrow, no matter what I did.

Sometimes the arrow wouldn’t appear until I had given up trying to force it and started my takeoff roll. It would randomly appear half way down the runway for some reason. Wierd!!

And then, randomly, no arrow would appear, despite greasing the landing and doing all the above :frowning:

It’s done now anyway. I only have Decathlon and Wing Commander left and then MSFS can nadger my Logbook any time it wants and I won’t care :rofl:

2 Likes

Forgive me for asking but have you got anything in your Community Folder? I may of course be totally wrong but assuming you are getting some respone after selecting the game it does sound like an overfull C/F. I did some experimenting some months ago and could delay the game starting for ages by filling up my Community Folder. Now I use an addon manager.

More learning in the Flybywire A320…EDLP to EGKK :grin:

5 Likes

Santiago, Chile :heart:

4 Likes

Did a flight from Philadelphia PA (PHL) to Boston MA (BOS) operating the Allegiant Air A320 (FBW) last night.
This morning I flew low and slow around the city of New York. Despite the gloomy weather they have today, it was a smooth cruise.

Taking off from PHL

This mornings flight around New York

3 Likes

thanks for your suggestion!
yeah, first thing I checked… annoyingly it started up perfectly earlier in the day, no updates or changes, which is what made it particularly strange. This is my issue… not the odd problem, the truly ongoing nature and sheer volume of them. I thought i needed to check wind information for landings and approach, not to see if the sim will run. Running now though… this morning, it only took the usual time. sigh…

and in appreciation, I will share here what I found elsewhere… gonna have to try this. Some tube site posted the wing vid, bat as the man says… “Why yes, I would like to know more”

I recommend going to their channel, searching dust and watching the full vid. It includes multiple angles and footage from the ground. I didn’t even know these things could land on gravel, but apparently earlier models were ‘gravel rated’.
You know that annoying sound when you lose a coin in the dryer… this is that x10,000

2 Likes

Did a short flight in the C208 including the mods (v2102.1 of C208 and WT g1000 v0.3.5), EBOS - EBAW.

Also got my first prototype for an easier to use .NET SimConnect Wrapper working.

SimAir log: SimAir.io

3 Likes

Today I flew from Casablanca, Morocco to Bilbao, Spain!

Photo below but in wrong order :confused:

2 Likes