What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 1, second leg
Flight time: 2hrs 30mins
Distance: 233.8 miles (203Nm)
Upington (FAUP) to Keetmanshoop (FYKT)
Day 1 total distance:641.8 miles (557.7Nm)
Due to having to pay a visit to the complaints department, my departure was behind schedule.
After departing FAUP I set a course for Keetmanshoop. A distance of 233.8miles give and take a few!
The flight started off a bit jittery due to the cross winds, but once I was a few mile out it all calmed down.
So now I could relax and take in the spectacular views of South Africa.

Must admit, It’s not a place I want to get engine failure though!
It was coming on 40mins into the flight and by now the sun had started to drop down towards the horizon.

Still having a long way to go, I was starting to realise that I wasn’t going to make my destination in daylight.
With just under 40 miles remaining, the Sun was about to kiss the horizon…

As the minutes ticked by, and the miles slowly decreasing, my serene world started to plumet into darkness!

Still around 24 miles to go, the Suns last rays ebbed below the horizon.

The darkness finally enveloped my world as I was making my final approach.

Touchdown!

As it seemed like Ground control had all gone home, and I was only given the option of taking off again.
I thought what the heck! I will find my own parking space.
When parked I nicked a few jerrycans of fuel to top up my tanks,

and then put my plane to bed.
That done I caught a taxi and headed for the nearest hotel, and then straight to the bar!

Only 6000 miles to go, give or take a few!

My journey continues here>> My 6,700 mile African Bush Trip in JPLogistics Cessna 152

11 Likes

A special photograph flying over Lower Manhattan and Brookfield with Bell 407 framing the World Trade Center at dawn

10 Likes

Model matching is off it’s game today. N106MB is a B58 that is homebased at KUUU, but it was interesting to see him attempt a landing anyway in a jet model with KAL livery. :laughing:

5 Likes

Borrowed one of the Oregon Air National Guard’s F-15s for a joyride from Portland down to Klamath Falls! Beats flying coach on a Horizon E-175… :smiley:

Gotta get a selfie at Crater Lake:

ooh shiny!

12 Likes

Sights, terrain, mountains, villages and terraced fields of Central Java, Indonesia - in real-time, real-weather

Borobudur Temple, Indonesia

Prambanan Temple

12 Likes

It’s always so neat to see NEXRAD and the picture out the window reconcile. Raining to the West? Yeppers!

7 Likes

How was the landing? I’ll be doing a 787 (really 777W) from LAX-Guangzhou at midnight.

Today was a busy flightsim day for me and our community. we started off with a group flight from Paris to Goodwood in the DC Designs Stearman

and finished the day with a little bit of DACT in the south Atlantic

10 Likes

Took off from a small strip near Chicago in the Black Square Baron 58, headed North to Thunder Bay CYQT. Encountered worsening weather as I got closer, and into IFR conditions on descent.

4 Likes

Saw a Richard Widmark movie set in Mexico, so I thought I’d try out a vintage Cessna at those demanding Mexican altitudes. My first time in Mexico. Also my first time in the Cessna 170.
Nice model, but such a weak engine, it was a job getting it in the air at that altitude. Chilpancingo (MMCH) to Mexico City International Airport Benito Juarez (MMMX)

11 Likes

Well, not today, but last night… I took a flight from Melbourne to Daytona Beach in the humid Florida air. landed at KDAB by BMW+AMSIM – I really like their work - especially this airport with nearby racing in progress!

7 Likes

it was uneventful, I had no issues at all

Brussels (EBBR) to Stuttgart (EDDS) in the HondaJet

The flight itself was quite uneventful, I only had ATC on arrival, however I managed to really grease the landing, I’m a happy potato right now

Full video later here:

8 Likes

Flying the SALTY as SAA222 FAOR-SBGR

7 Likes

Flew my last flight on Xbox. Took the trimotor out for a spin at a random airstrip somewhere in the midwest. Not a bad aircraft but looking forward to all these aircraft I’m about to have at my disposal with my new pc :blush:

4 Likes

Ultra Light Mountain Tour / Luzern / Blackwing

9 Likes

I flew an overnight flight from Dubai OMDB to Tokyo Haneda RJTT in the A310.

I was unable to fly this (and many other A310 flights) on the xbox due to near certain black screens and CTD. Now on PC I no longer have to worry about this (what a relief) although this A310 flight did end up with black screens after all! But it’s not what you think…

This flight is on the limit of the A310’s range. Simbrief had already left some seats empty due to weight, but I wanted to take a bit of extra fuel just in case. I managed to squeeze in nearly 2T spare before I hit the maximum takeoff weight.

It seems like the passengers were enjoying the in flight entertainment.

I was all planned to land on 16L but during the STAR the in-game ATC (which was only talking to me after I switched to COM2) directed me to 22 instead, with a longer approach. I pulled the charts up, set up the ILS and FMC and was all ready for 22, then I checked the fuel prediction and it said I was going to land on fumes.

Obviously at this point I declared a fuel emergency, took a short cut with direct vectors on the approach, and then ended up turning off AP and AT and hand flying it in.

Landing was smooth, I rolled out and then just as I turned off the runway the engines cut out and the screens went black. I just made it clear of the runway before it stopped. A ten hour flight and I ran out of fuel just a few seconds after landing - yikes!

12 Likes

Sounds like the local aviation authority is going to have a talk with you about an inadequate fuel reserve. :wink: :man_facepalming:

8 Likes

Well, it’s done. I have finished my around the world tour!

I don’t get to fly as much as I’d like so it has taken me a fair while to finally find my way back to where I started, in Victoria British Columbia, on Canada’s Vancouver Island.

I started my journey, in the TBM930 on November 24, 2022 and finally reached my origin/destination on June 24, 2023. When I departed the first of 79 legs, I only had around 5 hours in the TBM and was using my XBOX controller. By the time I had finished I had clocked another 110 hours in the 930 and had acquired the Honeycomb XPC yoke and throttle quadrant. From start to finished I covered over 51,000 km!

A few highlights:

• real weather for 100% of the journey (real time for about 65% of the journey - opposite side of the globe was a challenge, lol!)
  • 51,000 km traveled
  • 110 hours to complete
  • Shortest leg: Victoria (CYYJ) to Vancouver (CYVR) ~ 10 minutes in the air
  • Longest leg: Petreopavlovsk (UHPP) to Adak (PADK) ~ 3 hours and 20 mins in the air
  • Furthest North: Kulusuk, Greenland (BGKK) - 65 degrees North latitude
  • Furthest South: Melbourne (YMML) - 38 degrees South latitude
  • Winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere): Paris (LFPG)
  • Christmas in Milan (LIMC)
  • New Years in Tunis (DTTA)
  • Valentines in Jaipur (VIJP)
  • Equinox: Canberra (YSCB)
  • Summer solstice (Northern Hemisphere): Prince Rupert (CYPR)
  • Most difficult landing: Maniitsoq, Greenland (BGMQ) - dark, windy, sleet/snow, 3 missed attempts and very bouncy landing
  • Busiest airport landed: Amsterdam (EHAM) 7 airliners lined up waiting for me to land

I learned a lot about the sim, the TBM930, IFR flight planning, geography, the flight sim community and the joy of flying. Sad it’s over but glad it’s over, haha! I’m not sure where I’m going next, so I am going to spend the summer exploring, with no particular place to go.

Thanks to everyone that liked my pix, commented and reached out to chat!

Pix of my final legs…

Departing Russia for Alaska

Clouds over North Pacific

Leaving Anchorage

Coastal Mountains

Whitehorse, Yukon

Daybreak over the mountains

Eastern Alaska

British Columbia glaciers

Victoria, BC

Happy Flying! :airplane: :sunglasses:

24 Likes

How about going around the world North/South instead of around East/West?

5 Likes