Wll Asobo remove Flight Log and Loading Circle with SU5?

The Loading circle pops up at the bottom of the right corner. it seems like it shows when the sim is doing something in the background. But it should not show up. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason and COMPLETELY useless. I just can’t understand why Asobo would implement that in the sim.

2 Likes

Does paypal work for you?

2 Likes

The thing is though, optimization is already coming on July 27th. World updates are already every few months but the Pop up ? No

1 Like

I pretty much have zero issues with performance. I fly GA on a 4790K/16GB/2070 Super/LG 55 UN7300 4K monitor. I rarely get stutters, I’m pretty happy with the game.

Ok, thank you.
I do fly in VR nowadays & the display could be slightly different. I used to use three 43” screens though… still don’t recall seeing it (although if it’s in far right corner then I probably wouldn’t have seen it)

I’d love a screenshot of it though :grinning:

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Yes, but how hard is it to remove it?? This is not something that will cost the team more than 30 minutes to remove so It’s not like too many resources will be used on it.

4 Likes

It might be an issue for most of us, but it really wouldn’t a big deal for Asobo to give us the option. As said previously, there was a time when it didn’t automatically pop up.
I would vote for optimisations… but they could easily remove the logbook pop up too.

Regards
Steve

1 Like

It’s only for a second and a half, but, it’s a pain.
I’d like to see that horizon line go away, too. But that’s a lot harder to get rid of. But, they’re working on that, too.
The circle is a standard windows facility asking you to wait, but, it serves no purpose here.

1 Like

Actually, both items are probably quite hard to remove, because they’re likely deep within the structure of the code, and would need lots of touches to find all the instances that need to change, especially the circle. Sadly, even the circle is new. I have no idea why they felt they needed it. It’s probably a Microsoft standard that it has to be in there for XBox. Kind of like when Congress decided seatbelts should be attached to the door and automatically put on people. I’m just fine at putting on my own seatbelt thank you, and I like having it on. I don’t need stupid engineering decisions from Congress to help me. I’m glad that didn’t last long.

The logbook, too, they’ve discussed in the Q&A, and you’d be surprised at how hard some things are to do. Not as hard as graphics optimization, but, still takes probably a couple of days at least, and a plan.

1 Like

Well I wasn’t referring to flying in a small aircraft, taking a break allowing your wife to… euuhm… :grin:

I always assumed this log book popup had to do with passenger and fuel procedures. I don’t know if it’s my settings, or the type of aircraft I prefer.

But I (really!) never see this logbook popup after switching off the engine with Control-Shift-E…

I can park my C152 on a taxi strip somewhere ( :cat: ), or properly, on an apron… engine off… no issue. I go outside, take a drone picture, go inside and take off again. Without seeing any log popup.

Maybe it can be tweaked in the aircraft cfg ? Or it depends on the duration of your flight (?)

That’s why you don’t see it. You use control-shift-e to shut down. If you shut down the plane like you would for real, when you turn off the radio (or battery sometimes), it pops up, most of the time. Sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s a bug, not working as designed (even though that’s how we’d Like it designed :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Thanks for the screenshot :+1:
Yep, can’t say I’ve ever seen it. Maybe it doesn’t come up in VR. I imagine though it only does it when it’s trying to load scenery etc. Maybe cpu… hard drive…or internet speeds make a difference.

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Ok… then I missed that in the opening… For me, “engine shutdown” is shutting down the engine. I never touch the radio… and I was not aware you can separately shut off the battery anyway. Of course it should not proclaim “end of flight” and popup a logbook if you’re somewhere in your procedure… I agree of course.

1 Like

Yes, it may not be implemented in VR (where do you put it?).
It’s basically exactly the same thing as the blue circle on Windows in PC. I even see it on the first loading screen, when I start the game, the Asobo explosion screen. It’s basically a sign of… almost anything. And, really, I don’t care that it’s there, it’s not telling me anything I don’t know, and it’s not asking me to wait for the game. The plane flies on regardless, no stutters, nothing. It’s just there.

Interesting how the logbook doesn’t pop up if you shut down they way. Personally I flick the switches on the Alpha yoke… then the logbook pops up :frowning:

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Because it’s programmed to show up when you turn off the radio (which sometimes means it’s associated with turning off the battery). It’s not related to engine shut down.

Just another example why you should never let programmers make UI implementation decisions on their own. Their heart is in the right place, I don’t blame them, but… you know… sometimes a little more thinking of the consequences of a decision will take you a long way.

Maybe it’s just because I’m a UI an-al-yst, so it actually hurts when I see things like this… :wink:

2 Likes

we can vote on the logbook here…

I had already voted apparently (months ago I think)

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Not true at all.

Generally speaking, I would only touch my logbook after the aircraft was put to bed and I was done flying for the day. So if I flew up to Friday Harbor, spent the afternoon there and flew home, I’d have a single logbook entry for the entire flight. There is no requirement that every leg of a flight be logged as its own entry.

As far as flight plans go, I doubt I ever filed one outside of training if I was flying VFR. At least when you have advanced licenses and ratings, are flying bi-weekly and have access to your own aircraft, VFR flying can be considerably more casual. For example, my Dad’s plane had a range of something like 700nm and we kept the tanks full, so there was never any need to worry about fuel, wind, whatever. If you wanted to go flying, you just got in and went. For a local flight, the weather check just involved looking out the window. Sometimes you didn’t even know where you were headed until you got there. We flew out of Boeing Field underneath KSEA airspace, so by comparison, nothing that we were going to encounter once we got outside of that airspace was going to be difficult to deal with. I can even remember getting a call from my Dad one time because he and his First Officer couldn’t get a flight back to Seattle after a trip, ended up deadheading to Portland, and I could I jump in the airplane and come down and get them? That is exactly what I did. I ran down to the airport, fired up the airplane, departed southbound VFR, sorted out the VOR navigation once I got past Olympia, looked at the sectional to figure out when I needed to be talking to Portland Approach, got cleared, landed, found the FBO and picked up my Dad and his FO. No biggie, no planning required (despite having never flown into KPDX before). Pretty much all of the pilots I knew functioned that way; albeit they were all airline pilots flying their own airplanes. You’d be sitting down at the hangar on a Saturday and a couple of guys would show up and pretty soon there would be a group of planes headed on some impromptu run for the proverbial $100.00 hamburger.

As far as not taking off right after landing, well it depends on the purpose of the flight doesn’t it? One time I had a buddy that needed to get to his parent’s house on Lopez Island. That time I did file a flight plan because the ceilings were low, so I filed IFR. I landed at Lopez (seems like I flew a radar guided approach courtesy of the Whidbey NAS controllers), shut down the plane long enough to drop him off, then fired back up and flew home. IIRC I just picked up an IFR clearance for the return flight in the air.

5 Likes

I suspect the pop up of the log book is for gamers that want an easy out of the flight at the end, without having to worry about properly closing down the aircraft. Pressing continue allows you to continue the shut down process but it is annoying to deal with the log book pop up.

This is one of MANY things I dislike about this sim, but none of the other areas I have previously brought up seems to get many votes. So I guess things will NEVER change. Frustrating, to say the least. If I wasn’t in love with so many other features of the sim, I would have given it the flick ages ago.

2 Likes

Put quite simply: It’s not up to the sim to decide when I end my flight. It’s up to me. This useless logbook that constantly shows me zero takeoffs but a landing may be shown if I click “end flight” or whatever else but not when I turn off the avionics or battery and the engine. There are aircraft whose procedure it is to first turn off the master switch and then cut the mixture and in that case this window would come up during the engine shut off.

Anyway, as said before, it’s my decision when my flight is over, this is not Super Mario.

2 Likes