Working Title G1000 NXi Discussion Thread

Thanks. This thing is really finicky. If you don’t do the right things at the right times, it doesn’t seem to work. I managed to get it to work once this afternoon, but I wasn’t taking notes, and when I tried to replicate that flight again, I messed up and couldn’t get it to do its thing at FAF. I was arming APR at FAF, so maybe that was my mistake.

For those interested in support and other related and useful information, check out the Working Title Discord nxi-early-access.

It’s a far better channel to learn and discuss issues with the developers, instrument experts and even a few irl pilots onboard.

1 Like

Follow these instructions:

Dont’ forget to remove the content.xml file

You don’t need to remove it if you don’t want to. You can manually edit the line to remove the Navigraph entry. But removing I will work as the sim recreates it.

It’s probably way easier than your imagination is making it out to be.

Step 1- Get to your cruise altitude.
Step 2- If you know the approach you’re going to use/be assigned, load (but do not activate) it. If you don’t know, just put in a reasonable guess.
Step 3- On your MFD, press the FPL button, and you will see several waypoints towards the end of your flight with altitudes pre-selected. These are based on either the STAR, approach, or both that you have selected.
Step 4- In your altitude pre-selector (which will vary by aircraft, but it will usually be a dial in the Autopilot panel, or on the instrument panel itself), input the lowest altitude shown in the FPL view.
Step 5- Hit the VNAV button.
Step 6- Sit back and let your autopilot do the descent for you. Make sure you properly monitor your throttle so that you don’t overspeed during descent, or get to slow when leveling off for intermediate altitudes.

Now, if you are under ATC control, you can’t do that, otherwise the plane may decide to descend before you have been cleared to do so. Instead, when given a descent, put that altitude into the pre-selector, use flight level change or vertical speed mode to achieve greater than about 1,000 fpm descent, and after making your original choice, then hit VNAV. The plane will descend on your selected mode until reaching the VPATH, at which it will change over.

You may have to do that several times if ATC lets you sit at an altitude for too long.

When your next waypoint is the iaf, then you can activate the approach. Doing so sooner will cause all intermediate waypoints to be skipped and the plane with fly direct to the iaf. I generally wait until I’m on a rough intercept course for an ILS to hit approach mode, but for a GPS approach, really anytime after loading the approach will work.

I’m writing this from memory, so if you try it and it doesn’t work, I’ll actually fly one to figure out where I made a mistake and update from there.

Good luck!

Kev

3 Likes

I noticed the relative terrain display disappears when on ground. I think this is the same bug which plagues every MSFS aircraft. The TAWS / GPWS system should be inhibited on ground, the terrain display system should remain active however.

The G1000 NXi, like all default MSFS aircraft suffers from this weird autopilot roll axis bug where the AP steers opposite when giving manual roll input e.g. when steering to the left the in-sim yoke can be seen moving to the right by the autopilot. The ailerons are following the joystick however so the in-sim yoke which is driven in opposite direction to the control input is a dumm.y with nothing attached to it.

So you should be surrounded by red?

Depending on the terrain yes. Took this one from Google, its relatively standard for most terrain displays. The C172 for example isn’t even able to determine if its on ground or not due to the lack of a weight-on-wheel system and radio altimeter.

Disclaimer, I’m not 100% familiar with the G1000NXi, flew early G1000 some 10 years ago but pretty sure the terrain display is not supposed to disappear on ground. At least I have never flown an aircraft where this was standard behavior.

1 Like

That picture certainly doesn’t reflect the terrain colours in the Garmins.
In the garmins only red terrain is terrain you will fly into. You can still clear yellow terrain, but you will be mowing the grass, so to speak.

It depends on if we are in the air or on the ground. These are the terrain legends for the C172 G1000Nxi (some particular SW revision). On the ground red is anything more than 400 ft above you. In the air red is anything from 100 ft below and up. Several other functions also depend on whether the aircraft is on the ground or in the air, but I could not quickly find a description for how its air/ground mode sensing works.

Corollary: If there is no terrain more than 400 ft AFL the terrain display will indeed go black upon landing… But that is a special case, not a general behavior.

1 Like

I appreciate your posting of flight plans and your results. It helps me to try the flight plan myself comparing my results with yours, learning a lot about the G1000Nxi and RNAV approaches.

ATC clears me for the approach via RISPE and has me descend to 3,000 ft. I activate the approach and I fly towards RISPE from wherever I am at. When I turn at IFAFY, I press APPR on the autopilot. The glidepath is captured and the approach is successfully flown to DA.

I am starting to understand VNAV. I was having a problem creating a vertical path during descent using VS. The airspeed would drop to meet the VS I entered, but it would drop below stall speed resulting in an unsuccessful approach. I am now using FLC to control descent. I can get to the target airspeed for landing without stalling.

You’re welcome. I use my Logitech multi panel to descend when I’m on AP and the Logitech throttle quadrant to control airspeed. I’ve never actually messed around with FLC. I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Discord NXi discussion thread. Some really expert people always seem to be available over there to respond to questions in real time. I just joined Discord this week. If you go to the Working Title “packages” page and scroll down, you’ll see an “invitation” to join the discussions there relating to Working Title mods, and so forth. It’s really worth it to join.

I don’t know if I’m missing something but I loaded a flight today (first time since SU5, first time using the NXi) and the waypoints don’t load in order. It loads the destination first then waypoints. Am I missing something?
Also I deleted the G1000 NXi from the content manager so I could complete the flight with the autopilot actually following the FP, loaded the flight and had a CTD. I saw in another post someone had a similar issue after deleting the NXi, anyone else had issues?

Sure it might differ a bit from system to system (see @FlyingBear01 post below yours) but contrary to the TAWS / GPWS being inhibited on ground, the terrain display should remain active. At Innsbruck for example, on ground the display is completely black. I think its a MSFS thing, the default Airbus behaves the same for example. I’m also wondering how does the Cessna 172 G1000 know when on ground, as soon as you touch the tarmac or leave the ground the terrain appears or disappears but the C172 does not have an air ground logic like a weight on wheel sensor :sweat_smile:.

Something else I’ve noticed on the G1000, including the NXi is that the nose-up / nose-down buttons are reversed in FLC mode? Nose-up should select a lower speed and nose-down should select a higher speed. Don’t know if anybody can confirm.

Yup, that activating it before takeoff was my big mistake. I was doing it because I thought I had to because…not worth going into my misunderstanding other than to say I’d never done that previously but I was thrown off by the disjunction between the World Map-generated flight plan and the one in the NXi. Anyway, I just redid the flight before reading your reply, and I loaded the approach instead of activating it. Also because distance between cruise and TOD was too short on my short hop from KMRY to KWVI to go to the 4,000 ft. cruise alt. dictated by the FPL for the IAF at RISPE, I set cruise at 3,000 ft., the altitude for the IF “interim fix” at IAFY. I hand flew the G36 to 1,000-1,000 ft. while turning toward the GPS course, armed NAV and VS (the latter set to 1,000 fpm) when I intersected it, and ascended to 3,000 ft., which I’d selected in the PFD prior to takeoff. At this point I armed VNAV, and reset the preselected altitude to 2,000 ft., which was the lowest alt. in the FPL view. I didn’t activate approach at that point, because the course from the IAF at RISPE was 90 degrees off the heading at the IF at IAFY, which was really the start of final. Instead, I activated it just after IAFY. I had to fiddle around a bit to get VNAV going. Even though the VS button on my Logitech multi panel was dark, VS was somehow still active and holding the plane at 3,000 ft. I clicked once or twice on the VS button in the MFD and the G36 began descending to 2,000. Reaching 2,000 a couple of miles before the FAF at FOXOV (I’d studiously controlled my airspeed), I further reduced the PFD ALT preselect to 1,000 ft., and when I got to FOXOV, the G36 continued its descent to RWY 2 at KWVI. I let it go down to 300 ft. before I disengaged the AP and hand flew it the rest of the way–all very satisfying. I will replicate this trip a few more times tomorrow to strengthen my VNAV mental-muscle memory.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue in the C208. Flight plan loaded from world map (does not always load correctly) I take off and press the nav button and the AP does not follow the FP.

With a further test, I can say that for me the AP in the 208 won’t follow a world map loaded flight plan. But if the flight plan is created with the G1000 NXi it does.
There is another problem, after creating the flight plan the rest of the buttons in the cockpit do not respond to the mouse.

Hello! Can someone please help me understand how to enter altitudes for waypoints in order to get VNAV working? I load a flight plan but am unable to get over to the altitude settings.

Thanks!

This feature is not yet implemented.

1 Like