Written Marketplace Reviews

I would like to start by acknowledging that there are other threads that mention this topic, but I feel it’s important enough to warrant as many different threads/votes/whatever it takes to ensure this gets toward the top of whatever priority list the developer is using.

This thread isn’t really about this specific aircraft, but to illustrate the importance of the entitled topic I would like to point out the issues that came along with a paid purchase from an approved marketplace item. Being a huge fan of the aircraft IRL, I purchased the Kitfox aircraft from the marketplace, and it has several critical issues that need to be addressed. It did only have 2 stars when I purchased it, so I can’t really be too upset since I knew it was a risk, but not being able to read any written comments about it made it impossible to determine if it was just people being picky about details, or if there were real problems with the plane. The following is a list of the things I’ve noted as being unacceptable flaws from a paid purchase at any price:

• The starter doesn’t work most of the time. Master switch on, hold the starter, prop spins, but no ignition. I actually think it’s a mixture problem since CTRL+E works, but there’s no way to know that for sure since there’s no physical control for that. Because of this, I can’t manually cold start the plane.
  • The engine parameters need serious adjustment to fix a throttle problem. It won’t close all the way and continues providing significant thrust when the throttle is supposedly fully closed, so I have to shut the engine off using CTRL+SHIFT+E to land within a reasonable distance for even a Cessna 172. I don’t have this problem with any other aircraft, so it’s not a controller issue.
  • You can’t manually shut the engine off after you land. Turning the master off does nothing and there’s no keyed ignition (just a red start button), so I have to use CTRL+SHIFT+E, which eventually works but the plane doesn’t just shut off like a normal aircraft would, it slowly winds down until the prop stops.
  • The windshield/window configuration needs to be adjusted to fix a blurry image when the windshield effects are set above medium. Medium or lower is just fine, but there’s something wrong with the file that makes everything outside the aircraft blurry on High or Ultra.
  • There are no fuel gauges on the aircraft at all. There should be fuel gauges up on the wings like on the Cubs, but there’s nothing, not even in the Garmin display like on the Cessna 172. You have to open the fuel management window from the menu to see how much fuel is left.
  • The flaperons don’t visually change when you adjust the flap setting, so the only way to know if the flaps are down is looking down at the lever.

I reached out to the developer regarding these issues, but haven’t received a response. I also reached out to the individual who did the 3D model, and he says he isn’t getting responses from the file owner either. Ultimately, though, I feel it’s the FS2020 developer’s responsibility to curate items in their store and hold sellers accountable to certain quality standards. This doesn’t appear to be happening at present.

All of that was to show why a written review system really needs to be included in the actual marketplace purchase system (meaning inside the simulator) so people can decide for themselves if a product is worth purchasing. Stars alone don’t provide enough information to make an informed decision about a purchase. Were the option available, this aircraft would definitely have received numerous negative written reviews from angry customers describing the problems I mentioned above. It would have been very clear that there are serious issues with the aircraft and not just picky details that people are choosing to fixate on. A complete review system really needs to be implemented sooner rather than later.

Fortunately, this was only an $8 aircraft and I had a vague expectation I might be disappointed. I would be much more upset if it were one of the $30+ aircraft you might buy for other sims. Still, I expect to get a basically functional aircraft if I’m putting out money for it, and written reviews might have changed my mind about the purchase.

A written reviews area for each of the products that are sold on the market. As time goes on the market is going to be filling up with a lot of content and a way to see how other people feel about the product would help. The rating system is great but I have no idea why it has the rating that it does.

11 Likes

Agreed, would really help as more content comes out.

1 Like

Absolutely right, yep. Ratings can be given for all sorts of different reasons, and written reviews would help all of us to make informed decisions when buying payware. Heck, I even read the written reviews before giving freeware content a shot on X-Plane.

1 Like

When considering a product in the Marketplace, there are only ☆ ratings; no actual reviews.
I want to read purchasers’ feedback on the products before hitting the ‘Buy’ button.
Please add a new section titled something like Marketplace Product Reviews.

9 Likes

I can see the star rating and amount of reviews but can’t see where to read what people wrote?
Please tell me there is a function to write a proper review or is it just rate 1-5 stars?

1 Like

Just rate.

1 Like

100% agree we should be able to read reviews IN marketplace.

After what happened with the debacle of London, it is a requirement in my opinion.

8 Likes

totaly agree :+1:

2 Likes

Ah ok that seems a little sneaky not letting people write a review, it would help us understand what is good, what is bad and why people rated it so.

3 Likes

I bought KORS and I’m not even sure how to leave a review…

1 Like

I was just coming here to make the same request. I would like to purchase that new fighter jet and so far in a very short period of time there have been 365 reviews and it only has 3 stars.

It would be great to see what user have to say about why they are reviewing it low.

5 Likes

I’m getting worse and worse experiences with my purchases on the marketplace, so I would really love to have this feature in place.

4 Likes

We all know the Marketplace can be fraught with issues when buying. We hover over the “buy” button, try to do some checking online, youtube etc to make sure what we want to buy is the standard of quality we should in fact be getting from a 3rd party Marketplace developer. (The Marketplace should be a safe haven where we can be sure of top quality vetted addons)

However, once you hit that button, there’s no going back, no refunds and you can be left feeling “ripped off” and there is no way to address your concerns (which should be a right) if you think the addon you bought is not to the standard you think it should be.

Microsoft seems not to care too much about this (which they should) I believe all addons should be vetted to make sure they are indeed up to MSFS 2020 standards, and at the very least the graphical presentation is on par with the default.

As a paying customer of several developers, some good some not so good, I should be able to publicly make known (if I want to) how I feel about the product I just bought. Because I have some really great addons, I want to let the developer and others who might be interested that the purchase is sound, the developer is on the ball and updates their addons regularly.

Also in some cases, people would want to let others know that the addon they just bought doesn’t live up to the standard of even default expectations, this also holds the 3rd party developer’s feet to the fire, and they might feel, as they should, it would be a good thing to upgrade their bad FSX ports with shockingly bad texture resolutions, to the modern norm expected in MSFS 2020, seeing as how we are keeping them in business with our money.

MICROSOFT consider this implementation because I have a few things to say about my purchases, good and not so good in a fair way to make my opinion known, Amazon has it, most web sites have it, but the Marketplace does not have it.

The Marketplace is not going in the right direction, this needs looking into as it’s still early days, and already the reputation of the Marketplace is in doubt, this is a sad day for all of us if the official marketplace is stained with a bad rep. GET IT SORTED!

6 Likes

Very well put. Is there a way to make this topic votable? It’s really something that is in all our interests.

I’ve been burned a couple of times by Orbx and their lack-luster methodology to updating and fixing bugs in their addons. Two of their airport scenery add-ons I have have serious performance issues. That companies obnoxious forums that pretend to act as a support system do them no favours with nothing but endless excuses about how they can’t do anything and any issue with their products is somebody else’s fault. In-marketplace reviews would do a lot to bring these issues into the light for potential buyers as well as pushing developers to fix issues in their products and allowing them to reply to their reviews within the marketplace, much like you can do with Google Play and IOS app stores.

Orbx are by no means alone in their unprofessional support but I have no qualms about naming them.

1 Like

We really need this, sooner better than later.

With more and more content being added to the marketplace we need better ways to filter the weeds from the gems.

2 Likes

It is votable. There’s a button at the top of the thread.

1 Like

@somethingbrite 's post came from another topic that got merged into here from #community:marketplace :

That’s why they were asking if there’s a way to make the topic voteable.

1 Like

With VirtualCol releasing yet another ■■■■■■■■ of a frankenstein plane with their Embraer, I’d like to reiterate the need to have written marketplace reviews, so people know what they’re buying.

Especially with the XBox release (and the new crowds) coming, this is more important now than it ever was.

4 Likes