X-Plane 11.50 Final Vulkan just released

Imagine on your Scenario to add Xenviro with just 1 layer of volumetric clouds ( and not in vulkan) …fps will be a single number.
D11 , D12, Vulkan , Metal ,Opengl APIs etc are there for everyone. The most important part is how you develop , and Asobo are …professionals.

4 Likes

I’m not worried that much, just some sort of fire or buzz. Here the OP certainly would have keep the attention of MSFS development focus
Now, when it come to XP, there’s still some hard work ahead before they hope to reach the same visual level as in MSFS, drawing shadows are dropping FPS drastically in XP and big artifacts are still present. Not already checked final release yet.
I love both of these sims and take them for different goal of simulation.
I really like were ASOBO and MS bring already MSFS and were it goes, unbelievable and irreplaceable Flight Simulator, I’m not bothered of any opened discussion on other sims that would had benefit themselves to being get inspired of the huge amount of work made on MSFS in a so small time period

I remember the “announcements” in the past. Nothing was delivered.

The past can be right because it’s the past but let’s Wait & See for the future… you are right to mention it, I don’t have the X Ambience but I see on forums that there are many complaints about the previous version (perfs that make it unflyable etc) so I try to believe that the dev is aware about it, he did response to that in a honest way I think, I mean he has to because there is a big “wait” for the next Xambience pro, I’m part of it so hopeffuly it will go this good way…

Also, nowadays it looks like it’s THE new standar model of virtual business to be loud on advertisings and releasing beta with missing important features more than a “finished product”, look here! But at least we have patches and updates to heal issues in a rapid way somehow (even if some issues should have been fixed before releasing the new sim particulary about the engine weather, the corner stone!) anyway patch/updates are coming especially about the MFS2020 Live weather soon, this month finally! …

Well, let’s Wait & See for both, future will say the truth more than us, hope that it will match with our legitimate expectations! :wink:

1 Like

I suspect most of those reporting no gains are doing what some do with Fs too, pushing the hardware to the absolute limit then expect Vulkan to somehow make up for the fact that their hardware is running at its maximum capability. If you dont see an improvement there is a reason for it and its isnt a failing with the new graphics engine.

2 Likes

Meh. I’m more partial to Klingons.

::Badda-bum-tissssh::

Thank you. You’ve been a wonderful audience. Good night folks!

Okay Austin. Whatever you say.

What I said applies just as much to FS engine as it does to X-Planes ok Satya?

My post was in no way an attempt to garner support XPlane. All I am saying is now that they have moved in that direction and released 11.50, this may give MS more of a reason to prioritize this type of thinking, which could only help performance. That’s it!

People just either refuse to listen or simply hear what they want to hear - laminar underlined it from the very beginning that move to vulkan is to get rid of stutters that plagued xplane as it was based on opengl. It got worse when xp gained momentum and lots advanced of 3rd party sceneries/acft came in. 3rd party literally stretched their opengl implementation over the limit. Therefore laminar decided to spend like almost 2 years doing virtually nothing else but to pay the technical debt they had with very bugged and old rendering engine. Any FPS gains were to be a bonus and not guaranteed, depending on cpu/gpu you had. If you already were GPU limited, vulkan would not help. It also equalized perf differences between nvidia/amd, as amd had worse opengl drivers.

Similarly, MSFS now suffers a bit from stutters as as DX11 is not that well optimized for multicore as DX12. And it will only get worse when heavy 3rd party stuff steps in. But then again - move to DX12 will get rid of stutters (probably) but will not double your fps if you are already GPU limited, it may improve a bit but it will not break laws of physics and double or thriple your frames :stuck_out_tongue:

My own experience is that Vulkan has doubled my FPS, I get until 120 FPS in some circumstances but mostly about 60 FPS rather stable for now.
This doesn’t prevent they still have to fix shadows handling in all parts, which currently behave weirdly, situation which is acted by them, written on their site, with already filled bug and requires their attention

Maybe, but a word of caution. I remember LR saying Vulkan improves the pipeline and makes it more efficent to communicate to the GPU also freeing up CPU cycles. But there is no point having a more efficent pipeline if your GPU is already maxed out at 100%.

Something to be weary of with MFS which as we know already agressively utlises the GPU. Thats not to say there will not be performance increases - some of the pipeline improvements allows the GPU to perform tasks quicker but definately if you have less headroom in the GPU your performance gains will be less.

2 Likes

Yeah the shadows in XP are bad, FS shadows are miles better.

Yes, but it will only help. As better GFX cards come out over time, you will no longer be GPU limited. When the 3090 comes out, Vulkan may be the difference between an Ultra VR experience at hi-res or an ugly one at low-res.

The FPS display shows us if we are rather Mainthread or GPU limited
Mine shows me I’m rather GPU limited most of the time, I was “badly” guessing the 1080Ti would be way enough … time to change my mind, though I will not get any budget for a long time, as High-End GPU are on High price when they are newly released on the market, so rather perhaps … time to wait, at least for me :unamused:

Hardly something to write home about that big long paragraph of ranting have you seen how many bugs ! But yet you come to a MSFS group to rant about xplane 11

Known bugs

• First load time with Metal and Vulkan will be surprisingly slow. This is lots of shaders/pipelines compiling for the first time; subsequent runs will be faster.
  • XPD-7871 Dark contrails instead of white.
  • XPD-8162 Ocean tiles loading slowly & appear to be missing entirely in scenery.
  • XPD-9234 Flickering cloud shadows on the ground.
  • XPD-9388 Software hangs upon exit when using VR.
  • XPD-9729 Contrails and wing condensation missing in replay.
  • XPD-10506 First run shader creation is super slow.
  • XPD-10616 Water reflection off if wave height is non zero.
  • XPD-10617 CTD when using “regenerate icons for current aircraft (and livery).
  • XPD-10653 ‘Heat’ turbulence in front of engine.
  • XPD-10690 Blue geometric shapes that appear when scenery is missing.
  • XPD-10709, XPD-10868 Plugin OpenGL drawing artifacts under Windows with Vulkan on AMD GPUs.
1 Like

Not surprised you haven’t seen a boost as you have a 7600k paired with a 2070super.You will probably see a boost on much modern cpu with at least 6 cores.
I run a 2060super with an i5 8400 and the difference between opengl and vulkan is night and day.

Your post have 0 impact on priority, priority can work with vote, the topic name have nothing to do with MSFS forum, added to this, conversation is deviated as always off topic.

Code of conduct rule, search using the tool (near your avatar logo) before posting:

6 DX12 thread
Dx12?
Next Gen! But why not DX12?
When dx12, dlss and vrs?
DirectX !2
DirectX 12
Another reason why DLSS and DX12 is a must

These DX12 thread have vote active, people can vote.
166 votes
DirectX 12
4 votes
When dx12, dlss and vrs?
20 votes
DirectX !2

There is no need to open new thread on DX12, vote on existent thread that have vote is the real solution “DirectX 12

As listed above there are existing threads to discuss DX12 and MSFS. Feel free to create a wishlist thread for Vulcan. However as per the Code of Conduct:

:small_blue_diamond: Advertising
This forum is not to be used for advertising non beneficial, non-Microsoft Flight Simulator related businesses, organizations, or websites.

a thread discussing X-plane is not really why this forum exists, as excellent a product as X-plane is to many simmers.

Feel free to keep discussions relevant to this forum and in the appropriate threads.

Onwards and upwards!

3 Likes