Alaskan Cargo Operations

As we’re currently on vacation from the Airline

We flew the FlightExec CJ4 from Toronto to Anchorage to complete some Cargo contracts.

We will be flying the DHC6 (Twin Otter) as well as the Kodiak-100 Series II cargo variants around various parts of Alaska (Primarily).

ORBX;

• Alaska Mesh
  • PADU

Northern Sky Studio;

• PANC
  • PAEN
  • PAWD
  • PAJN
  • PAKT
  • PAYA

RealWorldScenery;

• PADQ
  • PAOM

It’s been nice getting re-acquainted with these 3 aircraft that I spent allot of time in previously, and I will admit it took a few minutes to remember procedures, how the different avionics, worked, etc… but it didn’t take long for it to all come back.

But it was certainly nice already having the Air Manager panels built, the control profiles configured, the checklists / POH’s already printed etc…

Flying around Alaska has been nothing short of exciting, challenging, rewarding and beautiful. I can certainly see why the pilots who fly this area love it. Especially this time of year!

For anyone who has followed my sim journey, you know I am a purist. Real time, real weather, real procedures along with route, flight and fuel planning all done by hand and “by the books”.

Which, for me, is 90% of the enjoyment of the sim, but can be very challenging in this part of the world. I have been “grounded” more often then not due to weather conditions not permitting me to get into where I was headed, or if they were permittable, having them deteriorate upon my arrival resulting in heading to my alternate.

Luckily, everything onboard is non perishable :slight_smile:

I try to time my flights in a manner that will allow me to have what limited day light is available, but again, the weather does not always cooperate, so we go when we can.

It’s very humbling, and also re-assuring that you have a good understanding of your aircraft and instruments as you navigate the mountain passes through less than ideal conditions and storms. I can certainly appreciate how easily one could come disoriented / lost out here.

But without further ado, here is the journey so far!

A quick walk around the Twin Otter after they got our load strapped in to ensure everything is in place and squared away before we head out on our first adventure to PAWD.

Albeit under the cover of darkness, the sky was nice and clear for this leg, which was nice given the RNAV approach that brings you through the mountain’s and sets you up for a circle to land procedure.

There wasn’t much to see, aside from the mountains off either wing tip but we made it down safely.

And had a friend in tow, as @RedBaronYYC made the run with us.

We spent the night, and the next day we left with some daylight which allowed us to appreciate the area we were flying in.

The sky’s weren’t as clear on the way in but still suitable to land back in PANC.

1 Like

After touchdown we headed back to the cargo ramp to load up the last of the goods for PAWD. The weather was quickly deteriorating in Anchorage but still good enough to make it out.

We knew the weather would be closing in around PAWD but it looked like we’d have enough time to make it in for the night. With PANC not being an option for return we planed for Fairbanks as our alternate, quite a bit further out of the way but with the light cargo load we had room for the extra fuel.

The snow was picking up steadily on our taxi back out.

We had one pilot coming in request a visibility check (VATSIM) and I’m pretty sure he was well below minimums before he saw any runway but he made it in safely and we quickly took off behind.

Unfortunately, we were not quick enough and the storms engulfed PAWD quicker than forecasted. We followed the RNAV approach through the mountains but as we descended and circled there wasn’t a light to be seen.

After one pass we throttled back up and started our climb until we could safely head out and headed direct to Fairbanks.

The storm blew out overnight and the next day we had beautiful sky’s to make another attempt into PAWD.

As we got closer, the clouds blanketed the mountains, allowing the peaks to pierce through.

But as we descended the sky’s opened up again for a visual into PAWD.

Love chasing our shadow, with some bonus birds!

1 Like

After returning to PANC (which was an uneventful flight) we had a short run on the agenda to PAEN.

A little daylight, and mostly clear sky’s.

A quick unload and back to home base PANC.

Our next trip required a little more range, so we switched up to the Kodiak. Even with its extended range over the Twin Otter, the head winds of our Westerly direction required us to break up the trip.

Our first leg would see us leave PANC and stop in at Kodiak (PADQ) for rest and fuel.

As this flight was under the cover of night, there was not much to see, except the glow of red from our terrain radar on approach.

After a safe landing, we tucked her in for the night.

The next day we were able to have a better look around Kodiak.

It isn’t too often, or, maybe in Alaska it is, that you line up with a mountain. Luckily the Kodiak doesn’t require much room to get up in the air.

And we headed for the passage on the left.

Before long we were passing over the peaks.

And on our way to Dutch Harbor! Delivering parts and other supplies for the Crab boats!

Dutch Harbor was probably the most challenging airport go get into thus far, and I will admit I did have to fly the missed and go-around before coming in safely.

We should be good to make it out of Dutch and back to Anchorage in one trip given the empty plane but that will be our next adventure.

4 Likes

Nice action report and some great screenies!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We headed out of Dutch Harbor allot lighter than when we came in and headed back to Anchorage for another load.

Next up on the itinerary, Nome!

Final, final approach into Anchorage.

With our cargo contracts completed, this was to be our last day in Alaska, but as luck would have it, the pilot heading out to Juneau called in and we were asked to spend a couple extra days.

We packed up our stuff and pulled the CJ4 out of the hangar and headed to PAJN.

The RNAV-V approach into PAJN is pretty neat, it’s offset to the right of the runway to avoid coming over the foothills.

We’ll have a couple days in and out as we run the Twin Otter and Kodiak into Yakutat and Ketchikan.

First up was a run to Yakutat in the Twin Otter.

Routine flight on the way in, but the weather kicked up in Juneau for the return leg.

But we made it down safely!

The next day brought better weather for our run down to Ketchikan in the Kodiak.

And with the sun starting to come up over the mountains we had a beautiful departure out of PAJN.

From there, we were cloud surfing!

The approach is kind of neat, runway is elevated from the rest of the airport.

We pulled into the cargo ramp and waited to be unloaded. Looks like it’s been “unseasonably warm” in these parts…

We were delayed getting unloaded due to mechanical issues so we had sometime to tour around.

And hopped a fairy across.

Appears to be a popular tourist stop.

And the birds were looking for a free meal with the fishing boat trolling by.

We headed back over to the airport just in time to see the last of the boxes get unloaded.

And before long we were taxing up the ramp to the runway.

And with the dip of a wing, we were gone.

And back into Juneau for the last time.

Our time in Alaska has now come and gone and it’s time to head West back to home base in Toronto and start flying for the Airlines again.

We loaded up the CJ4 and headed to Vancouver for fuel and rest.

But aside from the awesome experiences, scenery and challenges Alaska had to offer us, we did not leave empty handed…