Treated Myself While In Alaska - 414AW

We’ve spent the past month flying Cargo ops in Alaska which you can read all about here…

And as I was flying in and out of Juneau the past couple of days, I saw this plane parked with a For Sale sign on it.

Flysimwares C414AW Chancellor.

Was able to track down the owner and check it out.

For the past while, the family and I have been cruising around in the C310R

However, I’ve been looking for something a little more comfy, and pressurized.

Having just received a nice bonus;

I decided to pull the trigger and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

As I have the company CJ4 and can’t fly 2 planes at once, I have to hire someone to ferry it back to Toronto for me but that will give me time to get the home cockpit setup for it (thanks to @Crunchmeister71 and the boys at simstrumentation.com for building the instruments).

But I am looking forward to flying it!!!

6 Likes

As we say goodbye to the CRJ and Jazz

We have some downtime before we start our Airbus training to fly for Mainline. And what better way to spend it than flying the family around on some much needed vacations in the 414!

The 414 was ferried from Alaska to our home GA base in CYKZ where it has been undergoing an overhaul. With the work and subsequent inspections completed, it was ready to pull out of the hangar for its maiden voyage.

As per protocol (luck, or lack there of) this maiden voyage was like every other one for me, in the dark. Because, what better way to learn a plane then when struggling to see?

But none the less we made it out and up safely and before we knew it we were on final into CYTS to meet the family.

The 414 is incredibly well built, feature rich and a blast to fly!

Not to mention being able to cruise at higher altitudes.

The next morning we loaded up the family to start making our way South.

With every passing mile, the snow was less and the temperature a little warmer. First stop, CYOO to stretch and refuel the plane and our stomachs.

The second leg saw us push further south into KCRW where we spent the night.

The next morning brought a mix of sun and clouds as we loaded up and made our way from Charleston, WV to Charleston, SC (KJZI).

Our approach into KJZI had us racing a ship out of the harbor.

He may have had a head start, but before long we were taking him to GAPle-bee’s.

And then a beautiful final.

And with the tanks topped off we plotted a course VOR hopping down the Florida panhandle coastline.

Our next final had the kids excited as they could see the house of mouse out the right side of the plane as we headed into KMCO 18R.

We spent the next few days touring around Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Etc…

Unfortunately due to the Florida heat, our cameras melted a bit…

We’ll be spending a few more days here before continuing on South.

It’s been awhile since the last update but we’ve been wracking up the hours!

After the house of Mouse we took off with the sunrise in our eyes and headed to Key West.

A few days were spent visiting and then it was time to start making our way back North. As we were getting ready to depart, @RedBaronYYC flew a charter in on the CJ4.

After a quick chat we started the multi day / leg trip back North.

Before long, we were back in the land of the ice and snow!

And before long we were tied down back in CYKZ.

Time to head over to YYZ in the morning and start on the A320!

1 Like

Haven’t had a chance to fly the 414, or GA in general since getting into the A320. Okay, not so much haven’t had a chance, just been having way too much fun in the airliner.

This past Easter I had family coming into town so wasn’t going to be able to do any long distance flights so figured I’d hop on the sim, and take the 414 out of the hangar in Toronto and fly home to CYTS for Easter.

After a good long weekend of family and food, packed up and got ready to make the trip back South to get back to work.

The wife wanted to spend a few days in Toronto shopping so the plan was to stop and pick up her friend in Wawa (CYXZ) and then head South.

Preflight was routine as were the runups and takeoff, but partway through the first leg the right engine started to act up, and eventually quit. ATC (VATSIM) were notified of the issues, and after a couple failed restart attempts we shut it down and got diverted to the Chapleau (CYLD).

We landed safely and de boarded to see if we could find someone to have a look at the engine.

As luck would have it, in a town of 2,000 people on the tail end of the Easter long weekend a mechanic was on hand and had u fixed up in no time!

We reloaded and were back in the air en route to CYLD.

A few hours behind schedule, but a short hop none the less, passenger and baggage loaded and we chased the sunset back to Toronto.

It was nice to get back in the 414 and mix things up, but for now, back to the big boys!