Crash to desktop without error message

Here is a script to run the fs2020 with high CPU affinity, save it in a note pad as a “.bat” file and run as admin.

I haven’t tested it yet because my machine is doing another task, but I think it’s worth the try.

@echo off

:: EDIT CPU AFFINITY VALUE HERE
set cpuAffinity=14

:: DO NOT CHANGE BELOW THIS LINE
set gameExe=FlightSimulator.exe

title Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator with custom CPU Affinity Mask

:StartGame
start “” shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App “-FastLaunch”
goto FindExe

:FindExe
tasklist|find “%gameExe%”
if “%ERRORLEVEL%” equ “0” (goto SetCpuAffinity)
timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul
goto FindExe

:SetCpuAffinity
set gameExe=%gameExe:.exe=%
PowerShell -command “$Process = Get-Process %gameExe%; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=%cpuAffinity%”
goto :eof

exit

The return to version 21.3.1 of the AMD driver, did not change anything.

After reinstalling Windows and MSFS countless times, with the same results, I told myself that each time, I would reinstall the same image of Windows. And to make things better, it’s a custon version.

The next test will be a Windows installation from an official image.

And if that doesn’t work out, I’d be pulling Xplane out of the dust, even though I’m not too happy about the idea of having to update the maps from 2017. At more than 30GB a tile, it is not yet tomorrow, that I could have what MSFS can offer us.

1 Like

I just tested it but I get this error

“The system cannot find the ÔÇ £ ÔÇØ file.”

It is supposed to work with all versions of MSFS those of the store and the Steam versions, whatever the installation directory?

Asus ROG Strix G15 R7-3700X/32GB/512GB SSD/RTX 2070 Super Gaming desktop

G15DH-AU003T 4718017680929

Device name DESKTOP-15V4JBV

Device ID 1C47EB60-0D69-44EA-B1A4-E7047B681553

Product ID 00325-96694-75735-AAOEM

Windows 10 Home version 2004 updated regularly

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz

Installed RAM 32 GB. 16GB DDR4-3200 LO- Plus 16 GB installed after market

Storage 1TB SATA 7200RPM 3.5" HDD. 512GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD

Power Supply 500W 80 PLUS

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Desk top and signal resolution 2560 x 1440

Refresh rate 59.940 Hz

Bit depth 8-bit

Color format RGB

Color space SDR

Monitor

Samsung C34J791WT 34” ultra wide curved monitor

Display type VA

Resolution 3440 x 1440

Response time 4ms

Periphals

Honeycomb Bravo flight yoke

CH pedals

Logitech throttle quadrant

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro available but not installed
Windows Defender running plus Malwarebytes. Shop supplied MacAfee uninstalled when the PC was wiped and reinstalled.
There is precisely nothing altered by except by following the occasional tip from here such as the windows gaming button to the copies o Visual C ++. I am not a computer person and have no desire to be.

I’m going to deduce that you must have the most official Windows, but you still have CTDs.
So my idea that my CTDs could be caused by my custom WIndows falls apart.

I am not quite sure where your ‘baseline’ is but mine was to get the local shop to wipe and reinstall windows 10. Could probably have done it myself but decided to give the job to a pro. Then
Reinstalled FS2020, no other software, not even my email or peripherals. Wound down all the settings, AI aircraft, scenery etc. Started a spreadsheet on my laptop to map settings as I changed them then tried to fly using keyboard and mouse. Shouldnt have bothered, CTD still abound.
Seeing as I have no problems with X Plane, FSX or anything else you will have a hard time convincing me and a lot of others the issue is not with the software

1 Like

@aprodigyyy , @Zeppos

don’t understand me wrong. I will not say that there are no issues with the game/sim , also issues that result in some cases in a CTD. I would like only mention, that within the issues category it is not very helpfull to start general discussions or e.g. compare counts of post ( which is completely useless because this thread is open since Aug. 2020 and 50% of posts is not related to issues and also lot of users forget to un-vote if here issue is fixed :slight_smile: ). Also to repeat the same opinion in many threads as duplicate bring not “help into the world” ( if it is imporant , the forum have the Link-Feature ).

I noticed of course bugs too, e.g. the latest worstest I noticed was a completely freeze ( the first since … I remember me ) as I played a long while with the TBM930 navi ( FP creation ). But as long as they fixed the Azure (Text2Speach) issue, I seen never again a CTD. So different is it and therefore we need good facts to find out what is the possible “common ground” for users with (here in thread) a CTD and in this way we can help the devs ( or find out self workarounds or fixes, depend what the reason is ).
( example this XMP mode common ground , where devs can do nothing … other example the CTD happens always at same position on map and can repeated by other users → bug … or the toolbar… or nvidia worst driver story … or more worst the AMD drivers… usb devices… long story… )

does the change of affinity help in your case ?

The latest discussion about we had here:

I’m still a bit sceptical, but users which are interested but not familiar with batch files can also use the solution from @AmbitiousPilots

or also follow the discussion:

1 Like

Please don’t blindly copy paste code in the forums, as this breaks the formatting like the quotation marks in your case. That makes it unusable for others. And next time, state where you got the code from and give credits where due. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @ArisenAutumn59

I see some possible problems…

recommended for a 2070 is at least 550W (as like more official spec), but in my opinion is 500W to less and I can not understand that ASUS this sold under the brand “Asus ROG Strix”.

does you choose the same memory model ?
( and have you already tried to disable xmp mode ?)

you have a lot of Periphals… remember the limit to 10 , check the usb hub, undock some of it and try…

Virus-Protection:
have you put the MSFS folders ( app, content ) into the exclusion list ?

Edit: getting CTDs also at the end of flight sometimes when turning engine and main electrics off!

People should not be wiping off Windows and starting again when the problems are undeniably the Microsoft Flight sim.
I see another problem that millions have had in many games including this one, where the GPU goes to 100% usage just in the menu section, or controls, but drops to normal usage where the game gets underway. This problem was proven to be a Windows-related problem … but they cannot fix it.

I can run any test, any other game, any other program, zero crashes.

6 Likes

I think that any test is valid, but any test that involves manipulation in the memory or bios of the motherboard or graphics configurations are already beyond the limit.

I think the best solution is to wait, because you paid for the software to adapt to your hardware, you have already met the requirements, but any simple test is valid.

5 Likes

this is a simple .bat code that simply defines the executable affinity automatically, but you can do it manually in the task manager, by clicking the right mouse button on the executable and defining the affinity

In a few hours I will perform the test and post the report here.

I buy the game through the MS Store.

Those, (not to say the one) who never have a CTD. you fly generally want on which continents and in which countries?

I would love to test a flight of a few hours that you did without CTD.

And you who never have a CTD, tested a flight with the 747 LFPG - FACT I still have a CTD fairly quickly.

On the other hand, if I make a flight with the TBM 940 in GPS navigation from EGLC - LFBO - GMMX I do not have a CTD.

I had CTD once I very first downloaded the hotfix, but I havent had a CTD since. Yday I flew from EKCH to LTFG and back. The other day EKCH to EDDM n back. Basically always out and in of EKCH.

Thanks, I just took off from EKCH to LTFG with the TBM. It’s an area I’ve never flown over. Ideally, meet in 4 hours

One of many :wink:

yes… I fly overall and sometime , if I have time, I flight routes where users reports they have CTD.

Of course it is only limited comparable, because e.g. I fly more the little ones ( e.g mooney m20 ) , but I would find generally issues.

Possible noticable… I sill have Text2Speach at Windows-Offline :slight_smile:

Just had a crash, about an hour in. Another one of those “cab 0” ones, and the familiar “0xc0000005”. No traffic around, middle of nowhere at the NW coast of Australia.

Application: FlightSimulator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF7DF36930A

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000011930a
Faulting process ID: 0x2cf8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72868e3cc0fde
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 1203aa39-e814-4c85-97bf-b9abba71eb92
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 60420f33
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 60420f33
P8: c0000005
P9: 000000000011930a
P10:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 1203aa39-e814-4c85-97bf-b9abba71eb92
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

After a complete restart I was able to finish off the last leg of my flight.

I was able to do the EKCH flight to LTFG without CTD.
The plane just crashed for lack of fuel.

The fact that I can do flights longer than 4 hours, even 9 hours without a CTD, and that I can re-do a flight on which another person did not have a CTD, “might” suggest that these CTDs are there. history by bog on the map.