Discussion: November 19th, 2020 Development Update

I forgot to take into account these items from the wishlist:

So all in all, lighting seems to mean much for many.

1 Like

Hi @StewyMacaroon80,
Have you looked into your monitor settings? I too had grain on clouds and reflections - was almost like a CRT monitor. My monitor has 4 gaming profiles. One of the 4 corrected most of the grain. After I selected that profile, I then modified it to get the results that looked best. Worth a look to see what settings are in your monitor.

The voting system is flawed. It only shows what one half of the community wants. Without the option of a down vote, nobody, not even Asobo, can see what people really think of an issue. Down voting would give an instant snapshot of where the community stands. Is an issue unanimously wanted? Is an issue split down the middle? Do more people not care about a raised issue?

Give us a down vote!

2 Likes

I agree with also counting down-votes… That’s a good idea.

But we all have to understand the voting system is only a small portion of how Asobo chooses what to work on. As they’ve said themselves, there is the aspect of complexity of a problem, what they believe is best for the simulator, which, as authors, is there prerogative, the mandates they were given at the start, and an understanding of history of sim as well. Not to mention we are but a tiny slice of their customer base.

But down-voting ability is an excellent idea.

Have you tried turning off the sharpening in the userconfig.opt file? It’s turned on by default (a poor decision imo), and it makes the graininess more prominent. Open the file in a text editor, it’s located in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ (at least that’s where it’s located when using MSFS on Steam, no idea whether or not it’s in the same place with the MS Store version)

Then you just have to find the rows containing “Sharpen = 1” and set it to 0. Note that there are two occurrences of this setting (one for normal mode, one for VR), so make sure to change it everywhere.

While you’re at it, I highly recommend to also set Fringe = 0 - that’s responsible for the chromatic aberration (coloured edges) in the hangar.

Did you get this tweak to work again now? If yes that’s great news.

1 Like

Yep, not sure why I had problems with it though. Maybe I changed the wrong file without noticing, before buying the Steam version of MSFS I installed it using the $1 gamepass promotion…

Edit: or it had something to do with re-installing the graphics driver, who knows… I don’t remember whether the userconfig.opt is in the same location for Steam and MS Store.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s good to know. I wouldn’t touch the graphics settings at all due to fear of those effects getting enabled permanently. Glad you managed to fix it.

Update!!!

Downloading now - about 950 MB

12.75 GB in game to update

It’s doing the usual issue for me. Forces me to update in the Store and then starts FS2020 to update but loops on the first file. Solution: shut down with task manager and relaunch the sim as admin. The update is then proceeds OK.

I wish it would download the whole patch and unpack later. And maybe improve the servers? 20-30 minutes for 13GB update is ridiculous.

note you HAVE to then manually go to the marketplace to add the USA pack, just like with the JAPAN pack…

This is another 4GB of downloads.

Please use the new topic to discuss the latest update

1 Like

Is it just me, or is anyone else still having difficulty steering on the ground with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick? IT seems to me that after the number of patches/upgrades we have had already this issue should be fixed - or should never have been a problem to begin with. Joystick works fine with X-Plane, so why is this such a big issue for FS2020?

You are RAM limited lol.

That load is pretty spread out across a lot of the cores, that doesn’t look bad tbh

According to your image, it seems like the processor usage is now more distributed across all cores than it has been before… that IS an optimisation, if that is the case.

As far as I can tell I’m on default settings. I’ll have a play though, thanks for the suggestion

Other cores is busy another parallel program. Blender/VScode/OBS