F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod

F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod

Ok Folks!

The current members of the team: @SilentG37, @SeverusAviaton and me, @CodenameJack447, have finally decided to open our separate thread for the modded version of the official product DC Designs - F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) from @DEAN01973 who officially endorses our work.

This goes for all of you and the Eagles!

We have opened the project on Github, where you can access the releases, the list of changes and of course the download links.

Link to the lastest release: https://github.com/F-15-C-D-E-I-Official-Community-Mod/justflight-aircraft-f15-v.1.0.2-rev-1.20/releases/tag/v1.20

As many of you already know, the intention of this mod is try to improve in many aspects the stock version of the Eagles, especially the flight model and engines, in order to pursue the greatest possible realism, as well as to coexists as an alternative version of the base product. Certain aspects such as improvements in the flight model or engines can be added in the updates of the official product, Other aspects will be exclusive to the mod because they simply do not follow the scope of the official project.

We hope we can continue improving this product that we love so much, so we wish you the best and that you enjoy!

Our best regards!

The members of the team.

Links to updates posts:

v1.15: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #2 by CodenameJack447

v1.16: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #55 by CodenameJack447

v1.17: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #78 by CodenameJack447

v1.18: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #97 by CodenameJack447

v1.19: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #137 by SilentG37

v1.20: F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I) Official Community Mod - #176 by SilentG37

Official product thread: DC Designs - F-15 Strike Eagle (C, D, E & I)

Important note: the versions published to date including v.1.18 only work with the official version 1.0.1. Therefore, please do not install our mods in later versions under any circumstances. We will notify you as soon as we publish a new version.

15 Likes

Well, after the presentations let’s go with the update that we were waiting for:

F-15 (C/D/E/I) Official Community Mod v.1.15i update

We want to thank everyone who has encouraged us to make this update with such a list of changes, both the members of the team, as well as our testers involved, have been working hard to achieve this result that didn’t pursue other goal than emulate the greatest possible realism.

Changelogs:

We have reviewed the engines for all models to accurate flight envelope and acceleration speeds. We have based our envelopes on the official flight manuals:

• F-15A Flight Manual.pdf
  • F-15E Flight Manual 15 April 1993.pdf

Here, flight envelopes and top speeds for military thrust and full AB:

C/D:

E/I:

Note: Take into account that to properly match the flight envelopes, the tests and calibrations were made in a STD day, clean skies, 15 degrees ISA and 35000lbs weight for models C/D and 40000lbs for E/I. The values in blue are for std -10, which means 5 degrees ISA, so these values might dynamically change with live weather or geographic zone.

Flap stages corrected and elevator deflections corrected too according the same manuals:

• So, the F-15 will have only 2 flap stages (0° and 30°).

• Lift vs flap coefficient calibrated by @PridedThread577: “Approx. 20-25% internal fuel and not overall fuel F15E/I at 8 AOA landings will be around 175 knots and F15C/D landings will be around 153 knots. So, we fully recommend you do your landings with 20-25% internal fuel only, or otherwise you will need more speed to land for the same amount of AOA.”

• The elevator deflections have been corrected to 15+ 29- degrees, so you will be able to reach 25% AOA turns over 0% elevator trim.

We have also reviewed the sustained level turns vs Altitude and vs Mach speed, in order to match the official guide’ sustained level turns values, the most accurate possible within the possibilities allowed by the sim:

C/D 39000lbs full AB:

E/I 42000lbs Full AB:

Renewed MFD for all models.

Fixed both external nozzle animations and both analogue/digital meters showing incorrect values on MFDs according to manual:

We have calibrated induced drag scalar, aileron elasticity, aileron effectiveness and roll rates vs AOA to achieve 240degrees/s and sustained turn rates. You need to take cautions according the manual in order to maintain control stability at high speeds:

And last, in order to be able to achieve the world record’s climb profile to 100000ft we made the proper lift scalar vs Mach vs AOA adjustments, so we encourage you to emulate this world record achieved in 1975 for F15C with the minimum amount of fuel:

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/world-record-for-time-to-climb-to-a-height-of-30000-meters/

Special mention to @DEAN01973: For the love, trust and unconditional support to our work, for his permission to use his xml templates, and for helping us at all times to avoid conflicts with the official product that we love so much.

Special credits for our testers and their uncountable hours of testing and providing continuous feedback and support, their contributions have played a very important role for achieving these results:

@jdiegel54
@PridedThread577
@BostonJeremy77
@Mattalaraka974
@DUKE7483958
@Hedge2222

Special mention to the people I consider my mentors when it comes to tackling the flight and engine model tables, and variables conversion between FSX, prepar3D and MSFS2020:

• Roy Holmes: For his guide FS Thrust versus Altitude, A Method to get accurate results
  • Ives Guillaume: For his guide Flight Dynamics in Microsoft Flight Simulator. An Analysis of the Aircraft Specific Input Parameters of FS 2004 and FSX. Version 1.0. July 2012
  • @OzWookiee: For his outstanding AIR to CFG Master Sheet conversions from older SDK and New SDK.

Our work will never match your talent, but thank you for opening the way for us to try.

Thanks to all of you who enjoy our work, because it always has a bit of all of you.

Our best regards and we hope you enjoy this update!

Link to the lastest release: Releases · F-15-C-D-E-I-Official-Community-Mod/dcdesigns-aircraft-f15_v1.0.1_rev_1.15 · GitHub

Instructions: just unzip the folder included in the zip into your community folder. Remove any previous mod you could have before. Official product and mod version must coexists into community folder this way:

Marketplace Customers: We have confirmation that the mod also works for marketplace users. These mod improvements will be applied to: flight model, engines, camera system, autopilot, PiD values ​​and external UI configuration. Improvements made to the HUD or MFDs will not be applied due to Microsoft DRM.

The installation procedure is the same: just unzip the folder included in the zip file into your community folder. Remove any previous mod you could have before.

Thanks @brokendigit and @MarkManner for the tests carried out, and thanks for giving us your confirmation about it working. We hope that users of the Marketplace can enjoy it too."**

15 Likes

Folks this is a FANASTIC example of our community at it’s best! I commend @DEAN01973 and your goodselves for working together with mutual respect and your testers for their continued dedication to your mod.

I greatly appreciate the kind mention, however I but stood on the sholders of giants who came before me and must thank in turn the multitude of developers who have contributed information and advice on various forums and communities so that we can all create fabulous fun aircraft for our favourite hobby!

Have fun and remember to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ !

P.S. Someone really needs to make Skywarp, Starscream and Thundercracker liveries. Asking for a friend: @BelGeode

8 Likes

@OzWookiee Well said!

Can’t thank @DEAN01973 enough for getting this plane into MSFS. The start may have been a little rocky, but the official F-15 that is out there today is phenomenal(the new sounds are incredible). With the new additions on the mod, updated engines/flightmodel, the jet feels more alive than ever! I can’t stop smiling when I fly this jet, even after countless hours of coding and testing. I am in love!

6 Likes

Hi all,

As I said to Jack lots of time, I’m sorry for my poor english but I would like to say a big thanks for the community who makes this aircraft better. Incredible to see that.

Of course, all of this can’t be done without @DEAN01973 released and I’m very happy to see that this mod is supported by the F-15 maker. This collaboration is wonderfull.

Thank you, Jack, to mentionned me as a tester, even if, I’m not an aviator but I only love that.

At the same time, one thing I would like to say to @DEAN01973, can you do something for the AB for having it increasing differently than now (not like actually whish is on/off or all/nothing) in the next update ?

Afterwards, I encourage you to continue the good works on this aircraft, as I can, I will continue to giving my thoughts.

Have a nice day,

Best regards

4 Likes

This is possible to review and change this if needed. I think the mod team is going to take a day or two off and enjoy the jet for once :slight_smile: , but it is definitely something we can look into and implement a solution if need be.

Thanks again for testing for us, and mentioning this!

2 Likes

Of course, I undestand that, keep time to enjoy this bird. Like it is, it’s very good to fly with the F-15.

Regards

2 Likes

Just had a fly with 1.15. I can’t say I gave it a Chuck Yeager level of technical review. (Though I do fly all my aircraft testing out of Edwards/Dryden! Always want to compare apples to apples far from dense scenery.) But it feels great! v1.0.1 + 1.15 really feels sorted at this point! Just a blast to fly!

One question about flight characteristics. Running out of energy at around 57000 after a full AB blast up there, on stall and heading back down, nose down 45ish degrees, or more?, full afterburner seems to take longer than I’d guess to get to controllable speed. And even with airspeed indicating above stall speeds, it really didn’t want to give control authority back quickly. Maybe just the thin thin air. But passing 45000 at 200+ IAS it seemed mighty sluggish. Just curious if anyone knows what going over the top like that would actually feel like in a real F-15? F-15C, no tanks, half internal fuel was my config.

2 Likes

Basically there are low air pressure there, like 65hpa(maybe a bit more), compared with the almost 1013hpa at sea level.

1 Like

There are a few ways we can correct this and provide more power at the higher altitudes. We will keep reviewing the engines/flight model and make any necessary changes toward realism.
You make a good point, and observation. I tuned the engines a little on the reserved side, and can always increase them in areas as needed.

As jack said high altitude and low air pressure play a part, but they still could need adjusting.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

@Mattalaraka974, is Asobo which you have to ask, not Dean. Afterburners are not supported natively in MSFS, so we have simulated them within the static thrust. Basically there should be an afterburner Vs thrust table Asobo has no included yet it in MSFS.

4 Likes

Just say a big thank you for the mention, a pleaseure to test this and I hope you all enjoy it, as I have and will. Look forward to future testing witht he team.

2 Likes

Aside from the thrust, once I had some airspeed back and had lost 10+ thousand feet I was just surprised at how little the jet wanted to respond to the stick. By 30K feet and 400+ IAS all was well. More an observation than complaint.

2 Likes

Could also be something with Asobo’s flight model. Once authority is lost, there may be resistance to gain it back. They probably haven’t tested a lot under those conditions, altitudes.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll pay attention a little more next time I’m out flying around and see if I can understand more on whats going on. There are a few things that could be effecting this, depends on mach speeds, altitude, drag, etc.

1 Like

Hi good morning everyone,

nice to have a separate thread on the mod :slight_smile:
I like the hosting on GitHub - so I don’t need to scroll through the thread in order to find the lastest mod version. I’m not very familiar with GitHub though - I managed to sync the repo to GitHub Desktop for the current version 1.15. Will all future versions sync automatically or should I somehow setup the top level (if so, how?).

Would be nice to a little help/how to for that :slight_smile:

Regards
Stephen

1 Like

@HauptmannK Thanks! So my understanding of how we will release updates in the future will be to post the update and the changelog here with a link to the release hosted on github.

There should be a few locations you can just download a zip directly from github for the release.

One will be toward the top of each version release page as seen here (located within the actual description " dcdesigns-aircraft-f15_v1.0.1_rev_1.15-main.zip"

Second is at the very bottom of the release. Traditionally the releases won’t be so long in the future, as this was the first push to github. So they should be more easier to see in the future.

Third is on the main page of the github repo. Green button that says code has a drop down with the download zip.

The first post of this thread will always be updated with the most current release link to the zip file.

Take care.

2 Likes

Superb work all round chaps, keep it up! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi Dean.
Is there anything that can be done about the engine sound level. If I have it set above 5% and all the other sounds set to 100% ie cockpit I can’t hear the wheels at touch donw. All other jets I have I set to 75% engine and can hear the wheels easly?

Cheers

Sim Acoustics did the sound packs for me, so I will have a word about maybe toning the interior engine sounds down as several folks have mentioned this. Will hopefully get that done for the next update, due next month :+1:

2 Likes