Immediate CTD Opening Control Options (1.12.13.0)

I have now submitted a ticket to Zendesk. I suspect we might be on our own with this one though because relatively few people have more than 10 peripherals. I have 12 including the keyboard and mouse. If I unplug two then the ctd problem goes away. Asobo changed something to cause this because this was definitely not an issue prior to the December update.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Have 12 controllers, not including keyboard and mouse.

Shows you what audience Asobo/Microsoft is targeting. It certainly is not the flight simming community. They are focused on the gamers market.
Ever since this issue started after the December update, I have kept FS2020 up to date, but have not made any flights.
What fun is it if you are limited by the amount of controllers you can use??

We might as well label this program as a ā€œgameā€ instead of a flight simulator.

1 Like

I had a reply from Asobo by email. They told me that I need to re-install the language packs however in my original Zendesk report I had already stated that I had tried this solution without success.

I uninstalled and re-installed the language packs again just to be sure but I still get a CTD if I leave 12 peripherals attached. I do not get a CTD if I cut the number of connected peripherals to 10.

I replied to Asobo and await any further reply from themā€¦

1 Like

This might be worth a shot (CTD with ā€œGeneralā€ - instead of ā€œControlā€ - options):

I looked at that possible solution, but unfortunately, it was a no-go for me. I already have the English (US) voice pack installed. I added another voice pack to see if I could remove and re-add the English (US) pack, but it would not let me remove it. And, yes, I did reboot after adding the other voice pack.

It was worth the try though.

1 Like

I had the same problem with removal however I found that if you go to the main language settings page in windows settings rather than the speech page then you are able to remove the packs from there.

I tried thisā€¦
In the language page I added English(Canada) pack. I then uninstalled English(UK) and English(US) .
Then I re-installed them both, set my main language back to English(UK) then removed English(Canada).

Trouble is this did not cure the CTD when entering the Controls menu.

The only way I have found to stop the CTD is to unplug 3 of my devices to get me down to a 10 maximum (inc Keyboard and mouse).

This is unacceptable and has only started happening after the December update.

Asobo have not replied to me since telling me that this language pack solution even though I have informed them that it didnā€™t work.

I do find it strange that this solution seems to work for some people though?

1 Like

I will add that I am able to fly using all 13 controllers by using FSUIPC7 which recognises them all.

So basically I can fly as long as I donā€™t try to enter the controls menu.

I foresaw this as I problem for cockpit builders as soon as I bought MSFS. I told Asobo but they replied by saying that they ā€œhave no plans to increase the number of controllers availableā€ and that they ā€œare sorry if this causes a problem for youā€.

That stance of course may have changed now that more people are experiencing this issue but at the moment we only have 16 votes for this, which I find strange given the number of cockpit builders who must be having the same problem.

2 Likes

I have 16 USB controllers and I am having the same issue. I have an open zendesk ticket for it with MSFS. Initially they told me to reinstall the US language pack, which did not fix the issue. But since then they have been ignoring me except to tell me to try the new update when there is one.
Yes, it is baffling to me that this has only 17 votes given the number of cockpit builders out there. I am guessing they all gave up on MSFS and use X-Plane instead? Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing for the time being.

1 Like

Sadly my support ticket has been unanswered for another 2 weeks. Talk about poor customer serviceā€¦

1 Like

Same here. I received on reply with a solution that I told them that I had tried in my Zendesk ticket. Nothing since.

I have now given up using the in-game controller setup menu and instead I have assigned all of my controllers through FSUIPC7 which recognises more than ten controllers.

1 Like

I experience the same issue. After each update I desperately start it all again, just to find out that it still CTD when entering option controllers with more than 10 devices installed.

Itā€™s such a shame that especially with something which is supposed to be a high end simulation and developped by Microsoft (for their own OS) itself, extensive setups with more input devices lead to a CTD when basiclly all other sims and games are perfectly fine with it.

I canā€™t believe that this still has not been addressed yet - after being known for so long by now! : (

1 Like

I recieved another reply from Asobo. This time they asked me to update my joystick drivers. Really?

I had already told them that the issue goes away if i use 10 or less controllers, no matter which of my 13 controllers I choose, so why would it be a driver issue?

Come on guys, get real. This just sounds like a fob off now.

1 Like

Exactly the same issue. More than 10 devices and crashā€¦ Most annoying.
And quite frustrating that this is unsolved for so long already.

1 Like

Iā€™m having the same issue. It just dies when you go to the controls menu. Very frustrating, back to X-Plane 11 for a while.

Mark

1 Like

Has a hotfix been issued? I can now get into my controls menu without the sim crashing.

Oddly though I have lost all of my flying hours in my profile even though I have tried logging out of the store then back in again.

I am not aware that a fix was pushed through, but have to look once I get off work.

Edit: Donā€™t tell my boss. Just checked. Issue still exists. Not fixed.

1 Like

this points to what sometime is reported: there was a invalid configuration within the cloud which let crash the app. Because you lost your cloud-files ( e.g. see ) , you losts also all former settings and are back to default. And this might be the reason why you now no longer have an issue.
( see also ms-store , steam )

EDIT: donā€™t forget, >10 controllers can cause still issues

1 Like

Anothter 22 GB update, same problem. Some of my controlers are not working, trying to get into options/controllers leads to immediate CTD.

What a shame that this seems to be ignored by the devs! : (

1 Like

I found a workaround: GitHub - ViGEm/HidHide: Gaming Input Peripherals Device Firewall for Windows.
This great tool allows you to hide USB game controllers from all games/programs in Windows 10 except those that you put on a white list. It worked very well for me. I used it to hide some of my USB controllers that are not critical to use in MSFS 2020 and added the simulators that do not have that bug on the whitelist (X-Plane, DCS, Joystick Gremlinā€¦). As a side note, this also works well to play Star Wars Squadrons, which also has this bug (it does not crash but cannot detect more than 10 game controllers).

1 Like

have to give this a try, as long as it doesnā€™t interfere with my other simulators.