Making Tobii eye tracker work with SU9

“NUM *” is bound to LEFT BRAKE, did you unbind that first? If you didn’t then I don’t think pressing “NUM *” would have worked.

Can you please try this:
Launch MSFS, click OPTIONS, click CONTROLS OPTIONS, click KEYBOARD, click in the SEARCH BY INPUT text box, press “NUM *”, where it says LEFT BRAKE click on “NUM *”, click CLEAR CURRENT INPUT then click VALIDATE. Click the blue x next to “NUM *” in the SEARCH BY INPUT text box, click in the SEARCH BY NAME box and type in RESET HOME COCKPIT CAMERA, click where it says F12, click where it says F12 and then press “NUM *” then click VALIDATE. Click on the Home icon, click on APPLY AND SAVE.

Get into a flight, physically move your set backwards so that your view is behind the pilot seat and then press “NUM *”. Does the view stay behind the pilot seat or does it reset back to its original position located between the pilot seat and the instruments?

I tried this, good idea. With left brake unbound and reset home cockpit rebound, num_* still doesn’t reset position.
Interestingly, F12 still resets the position even though nothing is bound when I search F12 in my keyboard map.
Last time I tried this unsuccessfully, I was using a non-default keyboard map based on SU5 without unbinding anything from F12.

I would still rather keep F12 as my Steam screenshot button and rebind the MSFS functionality but I am super happy to have it working! It’s a real gamechanger to be able to put head high forward and look down, when I’m nose high on approach

1 Like

Thanks for testing. F12 really is a hidden function. I use Steam as well and want to keep F12 as my Steam screenshot button too. You can change this hidden F12 function to a different key just make sure the key you pick is unbounded first in the keyboard configuration in MSFS. Quit MSFS and then the file you need to edit as a Steam user can be found by following these instructions:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/making-tobii-eye-tracker-work-with-su8/472111/255

Then follow these instructions here to have edit the keyboard input profile file:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/making-tobii-eye-tracker-work-with-su8/472111/242

<Action ActionName="KEY_EYE_TRACKING_RESET" Flag="2">
		<Primary>
			<KEY Information="F12">123</KEY>
		</Primary>
	</Action>

^ Just change F12 to something else.

1 Like

OK guys. I found a fix for me to get Tobii to work in MSFS.
If you have in control options both TrackIR and Tobii units listed and you do not have TrackIR the culprit could be vorpX if you have it installed. I was checking the registry for TrackIR because I have never had it and could not understand why MSFS had it listed as a control. In the registry I had one listing of TrackIR in the local user software registry. It stated that it was from Animation Labs, which is vorpX. I uninstalled vorpX and cleaned the registry entry to default. Now TrackIR is not listed in MSFS and Tobii works just fine now. Hope this helps at least a few of you for no tobii working in MSFS. I will send a message to Ralph at vorpX to make him aware of this.
Happy flying.
Eychimo

2 Likes

I did not. Seemed to work with it running.

Tobii support recommends disabling anti-virus before installing their software:

After clean uninstall.
Please visit Tobii website https://tobiigaming.com/ get new update and see if this solves the issue.
Please be sure to choose the right tab for your product.

>>Before you proceed update ,please turn off your anti-virus first .
Anti-virus might cause update fail sometimes.

I think installing and updating the required Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files prior to reinstalling the Tobii software is what fixed it for you.

I believe it was something from OpenTrack which was leftover. It only started working once I had installed then removed it with Revo.

Hi,
I have some problems working Tobii eye tracker 5 working smoothly with MSFS SU8.
Tobii works in MSFS with 3DoF, but not with 6DoF.
Also F12 doesn’t work.

I have been using all tips above, but without success.
I also changed the OS and the sim to en/us. Also without success.
In the control options I don’t have the option for TracIR, so I think there is nothing remaining from my old FacetrackNoIR.
In the Tobii Experience, I can control that the 6DoF works.
my MSFS-Settings are:
Keyboard: Default:
Tobii: Default
I also changed any cotrol optinos to “Default”, also without success.

Are there any Ideas?

Kind regards
Mirko

Hey

When you state you did all the things listed above, could you state what those are because there are MANY tips - so literally all from the very post and onwards?
However as a quick check:
Did you use the default keyboard profile?
Did you press F12 several times?
Did you change the position setting so it’s not 0?

Hey,

I am using the default keyboard profile
I pressed F12 several times
and the position settings is 1
I also reinstalled the tobi driver
my version is the MS Store version.
I also deleted any custom keyboard profile. Without success.

If you change the position back to 0, apple and save then toggle head tracking off and back on, is there any difference in how it looks?

No difference.
F12 and 6DoF doesn’t work.

Use Control Panel->Programs and Features to uninstall the following:
FaceTrackNoIR Tobii5 Plugin version 2.0.3
FaceTrackNoIR Plugin Pack version 2.0.4
NaturalPoint USB Drivers x64
VJoy Virtual Joystick Driver 1.2
Then reboot.

If you have Steam installed assign a new key for taking a Screenshot. Try this even though you are using the Microsoft Store version of MSFS.

Inside of MSFS after setting keyboard back to default, search for Liveries and unbind F12.

This youtube video will show you how to fix the Z axis i.e. moving closer/further away from your instruments:
Fix For #Tobii Eye Tracker not Moving Forward and Backward | MSFS 2020
Just ignore his advice about binding F12 to RESET HOME COCKPIT CAMERA as F12 is a hidden function.

Install/Upgrade Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files both X86 and X64. Start at “Visual Studio 2005 (VC++ 8.0) SP1” by downloading and installing both the X86 and X64 files and then work your way upwards to “Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022”. As the filenames are all the same you need to install each one as soon as you finish downloading it. You should have all 12 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files installed:

^ There are actually 13 listed in this image but Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable [x86 edition] is listed twice as I have 2 versions of it installed, you only need 1 but don’t uninstall any duplicates.
^ Make sure the last 2 lines actually say Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022

Confirm that you have .NET installed?

If you made it to here and it still hasn’t fixed your problem try uninstalling all Tobii software again using the Revo Uninstaller as detailed in this guide(click the + next to Clean uninstall): Installation or setup issues for Tobii Eye Tracker 5. Just remember to disable your anti-virus before you reinstall the Tobii software.

If that doesn’t fix it, don’t use Revo again but rather contact Tobii support to obtain the official Tobii removal software and do a clean uninstall using their official removal software and then reinstall Tobii software remembering to disable your anti-virus prior to installation. Follow this guide step by step starting at step 35 and finishing at step 77 in this post: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/settings-setup-guide-for-the-tobii-eye-tracker-5/502973/10

If somehow that fails reinstall FaceTrackNoIR (setup guide here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/making-tobii-eye-tracker-work-with-su8/472111/252) as it supports 6DOF, Center/Reset tracker view, pausing head tracking without resetting the view forward, sensitivities, etc.

1 Like

Something is definitely amiss then as you should see an obvious difference between those values. Follow skysthelimit707’s excellent advice and you will hopefully get it working as it is for the rest of us.

Thank you,
I will try your advice and let you know.

Hi,

I found the problem on my computer.
The problem was a corrupted installation of Visual C++ 2015-2022 x86!
First I tried your steps described above without success.
Then I uninstalled the Visual C++ 2015-2022 x86, reinstalled it. After that I uninstalled the Tobii software, reinstalled.

Now it works with F12 and the Z-Axis.

Thank you very much for your tips.

kind regards
Mirko

2 Likes

Great to hear you have it working now.

How did you find out that it was corrupted?

Hi,
I checked the installation via PowerShell.

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product -Filter “Name LIKE ‘%Visual C++ 2022%’”

In the result for the x86 runtime was no “version”.

1 Like

So to check for a corrupted installation of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files:
Click in the Windows Search Bar and type in Windows PowerShell and click on it. Copy this command:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product -Filter "Name LIKE '%Visual C++%'" | Sort-Object Name

and paste it into the Windows PowerShell window by right clicking any where inside of the Windows PowerShell window and then press the Enter key. Look for both x86 & x64 versions of:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013
Microsoft Visual C++ 2022
and make sure a version number is listed where it says "Version :"