MSFS 2020 and stutters

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
As I wrote in the first post, ½ locked V-Sync refresh rate
wich would be 30 HZ, (correct me if I am wrong),
but locking it to 30 FPS MSFS drops to 18-22, instead of keeping
those 30 FPS / ½ Hz. of the monitor…

2 Likes

Having stutters not necessarily has something to do with the frame rates.
However, we now have well established that a constant 60fps with FS2020 is nearly impossible with ANY rig at the moment. So there’s no use whining. The program simply is like that and the Devs won’t be able to change the whole game engine at a point like this. No matter how much you want them to.
Whether that’s due to shoddy programming or simply due to the fact that the complexity and detail level is higher than in other games, is something probably neither one of us here can accurately determine. In any case any comparison with other games is totally useless at this point.

If your rig does not allow you a stutter free experience, it’s far too easy to blame it on the game. So if an answer to a complex problem is too easy, it’s most likely wrong. Especially since other people (me included) obviously do not have that problem and have their system configured differently.

From reading this thread I get the impression that you basically want your opinion validated instead of finding a solution that lets you play the game satisfactorily. Unless of course you only derive your satisfaction from constant stutter-free 60fps (which - as indicated above - won’t happen). In that case you’re beyond help here.

In case actually playing FS2020 is more important to you than that 60fps benchmark - and considering that even cinema uses only either 24fps or 48fps - you might also want to consider listening to some of the tips people tried so hard to give you above:

Let me summarise:

• deactivate V-Sync in the game and set the V-Sync setting in the NVidia control panel to “Fast”
  • activate G-Sync. This will constantly sync your monitor’s frequency with that of the game and should eliminate stutters.
  • listen to what people tell you. There are always people out there who know more than you do.
  • accept that FS2020 is not any other game and will never be, and don’t fret over stuff you cannot change
  • worry less about performance tools, benchmarks and stuff like that. That’s just statistics and won’t give you a better gaming experience.
  • check out this thread. There’s really useful information in it:
    My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2
5 Likes

I’m wondering if someone of ASOBO or Microsoft really read these posts, I think that all that we discuss here is just for pass the time or free our frustration

1 Like

I have to declare first, i am NOT a framerate chaser, I try to run the Sim at a level of detail where it is “playable”.

On saying that, I have a three to four year old system consisting of a Ryzen 1800x, a GTX1080 (not ti) an EVO 1tb nvme, 48 GB ram at 3200Mhz, WIRED network with 220 Mbps internet connection. Two monitors, one 4k, one 1080p. I play the game at 4k high end settings on the 4K monitor, with some windows (atc/vfr) map on the other 1080p monitor, as well as little nav map. I find it largly playable, yes there are occasions when i get a little stutter, but the game remains playable, which i think is the most important thing. When i did put the frame rate counter it was around 25 in very heavy cities, and around 35 to 40fps elsewhere.

Note i did have to stop my corsair iCue, and other background applications such as anything controlling lights/rgb etc, as they caused more slowdowns than other stuff.

Have you checked your internet speed? are you on wireless? (wireless causes more stutters, especially if the wireless is on USB). are any drives on USB? i haev found that accessing some usb drives can cause micro lockups on the PC.

Also check your power supply. that RTX card is known to peak far above its normal average. Check ariflow and throttling even of the GPU. Even your GPU, there has been cases where some 3000 based cards where havign power capacitor issues (google it). Also even among the same model, some CPUs may have more headroom (read up on sillicon lottery).

Set your cpu for maximum perfromance, so that when it throttles up and down, it doesnt freeze (all CPUs can freeze/lock for a few milliseconds).

I am not trying to doubt you or your problems, but try and check everything. Also try dropping your resolution to 1440p and see if there is an improvement. Check your network latency to MS servers. try pre -caching some manual caches?

That’s a known issue. I tested it and you’re correct with that.
I can only recommend deactivating V-Sync altogether and using G-Sync (comes with the NVidia driver and is compatible with most modern monitors. But has to be activated in the monitor as well. In monitors it is also often called “Adaptive Sync”.)

Thanks for your suggestions,
several of your questions are already answered in the first post…

They do read the forum. In their updates they rank the most popular threads.
This discussion is most likely pointless to them since it basically concerns the game engine which they most likely won’t change. So I do not believe there is much they can do besides fine-tuning the engine. And that’s something they already know.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that too, sounds as something I have not tried yet amongst
the dozens of settings external and internal to MSFS…

2 Likes

Well, if fine tuning gives a smooth ride, then welcome!

1 Like

Sure. But it still most likely won’t give you those 60fps :slight_smile:

Regardless, this has been a very helpful and positive thread that has been put to good use.

4 Likes

Thanks, that was the original intention!

3 Likes

We don’t need a tool for that! It’s quite simple. DevMode, turn on Display FPS. It shows everything you need to know about your system and any bottleneck!

Ryzen 3600, RTX 2060, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 c16, 1TB Samsung SSD, 2TB HDD, 47M/bits Internet

High-Ultra settings

40FPS over NY, London, 55FPS on average.

I have no complaints and spent a fraction of the price.

The obsession at throwing hardware at a software problem has me rolling my eyes. There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding that the code is optimized and ought to run without issues if you have the fastest hardware in the market. It is using Javascript in most of the maps and displays, some of it that causes infinite loops or gets called hundreds of times per minute for no apparent reason (I’ve debugged some of it). Tie that in with network latency and whatever else is going on under the covers (leaks, mutex locking, single threaded code, DirectX, etc) and here we are. Over and over again in multiple threads.

Until the code is as efficient as it can reasonably be, you’re destined to be permanently disappointed.

4 Likes

new high end rig, was getting an average of 50ish fps, then after the first patch it stutters at times… times that it does not seem it should be… ie not nearing a busy airport

SOMETHING after the first patch significantly changed the performance and caused intermittent hangs and/or stutters. I was flying without a single glitch before then ( I am closing in on 200hrs flying btw)

I suspect there is a processor thread or seomthing, especially since it can go from high framerarte to 1fps for a few seconds then return to normal… even when my system is optimized to run the sim (unnecessary stuff shut down)

1 Like

I have a I9 10900k 32gb ram, 2080Ti and 1tb m2 ssd and I can not get steady 60fps either, but I can get steady 30 fps locked smooth and stutter free performance everywhere in the sim at ultra settings at 3440x1440p, I’m happy with that , but i think the secret to get smooth performance lies mostly in a G-Sync monitor.

1 Like

Well, thank you very much.
I am no programmer, but your analyse kinda proves my point.
There is nothing wrong with my system, as btw proves the fact that another sim and
several other games run on it flawlessly.

1 Like

@AC52399,

Would you consider posting a screenshot of the FPS counter from Dev mode so we can get a good idea of what’s going on in sim? There’s a bounty of useful information that we can pull from that display. There are also numerous people running the 8700k/8086 or 3000 series GPUs that may be able to chime in if we can see what’s actually happening instead of throwing darts at FPS numbers.

2 Likes

Prior to latest patch, no stutters, now cannot run sim without stutters. Just check FPS, in Dev mode, between 25-60, depending on what outside/inside is doing. Still the stuttering is not good, back to FSX until next patch.

1 Like