New constant sim crash. Not seen here before 1.30.12

‌‌The late computer scientist Edsger W. Dijkstra said, “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” ‌‌ To remove a bug you need three things, the exception code, the exception address, and experience in programming. The first two enables you to translate the problem back to the source code, the last should tell how the exception happened. With these three pieces of information a good programmer should be able to remedy the situation.

2 Likes

we should come back to the ground… till now there are 18 people which voted for that topic related to a problem since 1.30.12 . Thus a lot of “generalized” statements here are just wrong and not valid for the million other players.

I read some sentences about manual system settings ( e.g. disabling pagefile ) , having tools like asus gpu tweak runnung, etc. and so may be such kind of settings are the more probaly reason for issues. Of course possible are also other reasons, like special kind of add-ons or more important for crashs on world map what the OP was - installed map replacement mods . But that can users easy test. Of course , as allways, bad things can happen allways ( e.g. there are seemingly issues in some cases where wireless devices disconnect , and some other rare situations )

So, instead to write about rules what developers should do and personal meaning that users here are the better developers and know all better, we should come back to write about facts like error messages, manuall system settings, installed mods, what tried already from FAQ or given hints in the topic , etc.

And a wish topic for better logging exist, but I assume because of cross-development, this will never come. And NO, I will not that the game send auto-reports with my data directly to Asobo. Such reports wil change nothing, we see it with that useless windows-error-reporting. It only send data about me into a database of a commercial company.

And finally in that topic are seemingly two kind of error reports mixed:

If the topic is about ( and I seen some pictures with exact that ) “Your grapics device has … problem…” popup, then there is a specific topic for that: Solution for most users: reduce system load with e.g disable xmp or disable factory OC.

This was more than once mentioned in the topic ( e.g. e.g. ) , but seeminly ignored .

1 Like

Hi guys,
MFS is crashing here too since the 1.30.12: impossible to launch at all.
Black screen and the turning waiting cicle freezes during loading. I don’t even see the usual Asobo splash video.
MFS is such an horrible pain to play on PC…
Please fix!

1 Like

can you share the mesage from windows event logger ? What have you tried already, eg. remove rolling-cache file, cleanup appdata, empty community folder, etc. ?

In special:

did you tried already the -FastLaunch Parameter ?

Mmm … something about restarting your PC between store and sim

Good luck

How do you use parameters when launching the sim ? and what other parameters are available ?

You talk such utter rubbish, and have nothing to add to what has been discussed at length above for two months. Yet here you come with nothing to add, except suggesting that we are all stupid and don’t know how to test software properly. Shame you were not here two months ago with your wisdom.

Every point you make above has already been covered in the thread above and tested thoroughly, and the problems continue.

Please do not come here with such completely unconsidered statements about what we should all be doing to overcome the problem, when you haven’t even read the above thread fully to realise we have already done everything you suggest and a lot more.

All you are doing is diluting the thread, which is completely unhelpful.

And your argument that the sim is working fine for most people is one of the most unintelligent comments anyone can make when trying to find the crux of the cause of a real existing issue.

Just to put you in no doubt…

I have tried:
with and without pagefile
with and without ASUS GPU Tweak
with and without community folder
with and without rolling cache
with and without XMP
with and without OC
cleared nVidia caches
with and without safe mode
10 different GPU drivers - Game and Studio and Guru3D debloated variants
DX11 and DX12

So, could your excellency explain why the sim CTDs usually at the opening menu screen, but sometimes before even the first loading graphics appear, yet sometimes, occasionally it does load fine and I can do a 7 hour flight perfectly? And then have it crash again on the very next load.

Please do enlighten us with your esteemed knowledge as to why my machine can run this sim perfectly up to 1.30.12.0, and hardly at all since, for 10 weeks now?

And don’t dare mention that for many people the sim continures to run fine. That’s great for them, but completely irrelevant when it comes to fault-finding this problem.

And every other piece of software I run, including 3D games and 3D accelerated production software, continues to run perfectly on this machine.

Tell me, just how is this a problem I have caused?

You haven’t bothered to research this at all before diving in with your statements. Take the last one. Can you tell me how it is that my GFX card is overloaded when it is at 65degC and the same for my CPU when it is as 55degC while running the sim?

Some of us have a lot of experience with computers and software testing over long careers and have completed many hours over the last 10 weeks testing this in a controlled, methodical, thorough way, yet you leap up here today, 10 weeks late to the game, with self assumed brilliance to tell us where we are all going wrong, and yet strangely, with no solutions at all.

6 Likes

Thank you for your much needed comment.
The only thing I can see is my sim is still on 1/31/2023 and will not update in the MS Store or on XBox screen. The updates tab in Xbox does nothing. I told Asobo I did have FBW Sim bridge which did mess with the Windows Powershell. I unistalled it with no luck. Thats all I got.

I solved the exist problem ( FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.30.12.0, Timestamp: 0x63c56d8f
Exceptioncode: 0x80000003) with MSFS app reset function.
I copied (created a backup) before the *\MSFSPackages\Community path.

All problems away and I’m happy.

1 Like

we have some topic, but there is also description about FastLaunch ( which disables the videos ) in FAQ:

Other paramter are as exampe to enable in-game fps-counter without enabling the dev-mode ( “-showFramerate , -showFramerateMini : see also )

I was here two months ago , in special for your original posted issue, where some topics allready existed:

Original:

0x80000003 : Break point reached
Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Start sim. Got o World Map. Select Departure and Destination airports using dropdowns at top of screen. Tried to zoom in on Departure airport and immediately the crash happened.

and second another topic, which affects some users and where also a topic exist and where the mentioned guesses exists within the existing topic:

Why I again answered here is, because the discussion was at the end nothing else than users wrote : " I know much better what developers have to do" phrases. And looks like you feel addressed ( and we not need to ask why , same for the three likers ).

I gave some hints, in special about the original main reported issue and here the relation to mods. We have so many topics where the reason for a crash on world-map was allways a former installed map-replacmenent mod , where removal of the mod itself is not allways sufficent : stick word host-file . In rare cases also appdata files becomes corrupt. I linked an existing topic for the second reported issue, and that we should come back to facts.

If you assume its not helpfull , then ignore the hints. If you think its not helpfull if users compare with stable running systems, then ignore that… For me it just points to the fact, that the game itself can run fine. If you rewrite my sentences in a manner that I wrote like users are dumb, then you completely misunderstood my post or just want misunderstood it.

Some possible reasons why for most of users all works fine and some users get an issue after hours I mentioned, e.g. wireless devices, also possible other rare situations e.g. network/server issues which let possible the game struggle and where just not all users affected, system issues ( in special very long running 100% system load , which no other application on your pc do ).

What users can do is, and that was the main point: report as exact as possible what happens when, what are the settings, and possible what was tried. Then we can find similarities in the reports. And most important: dont mix error scenarios - as mentioned, if you speak in meanwhile only about the “Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem” , then there is currently no final cause found. For some users helps underclock, for some other users not - see other existing topic.

I wouldn’t say “completely” irrelevant. I have the same sim as you, and the same version too, and I don’t get crashes on startup. So there has to be something on your computer that is manifesting these crashes. The trick is to find what. If it was solely the sim, then everyone would have it, and that’s not true either.

You said yourself that sometimes it works, even for a 7 hour flight. That is the most frustrating thing about this, that it can appear so random. But it only appears random because we don’t know the cause, and there has to be one.

Given the pseudo-random nature of the fault, you could never have one flight, have no crash, and think “Yay, I found the cause!”. When I was having crashes in 2021, I flew for over a month with no addons of any kind except the essentials. No GPS addons, and only the SPAD LVAR bridge for my controls. I turned off terrain caching as well, and have left that off ever since. I had to assume that if I didn’t have a crash in that period, that I had most likely found my sim on my system without addons was pretty stable. That was maybe 50+ flights.

I then started to add them back, and eventually found my cause, or at least likely causes. One was a plane that could dynamically switch between GPS/GTN units. Having both addons loaded at the same time increase instability. Crash on spawn, crash on final etc. Only having one of these loaded at any one time helped.

I also found that letting LNM track my flight increase instability. I’d flown for a couple of weeks with no issues, then near the end of a 2 hour group flight I enabled LNM tracking for some reason, but forgot to turn it off. My sim crashed within a few minutes. I now don’t track my flights with LNM, ever. I assume this one was some kind of SimConnect issue.

1 Like

still ctd with fenix pmdg stock planes after take off roll 2 mins into the flight- sigh. please fix this sim with this horrible update, before not a single ctd in 1 year - ■■■■

It’s not an update but a beta and by design is partly there to discover such problems and provide telemetry so a fix can be found. Be sure to fill out a proper bug report.

At the risk of boring everyone, here we are again today, and nothing has changed.

Having had almost constant CTDs on inital loading of the sim, this morning I have been around the same loop yet again. Last time the sim loaded successfully was around 10 days ago just after I tried another GFX driver - the specific driver doesn’t make any difference… the key thing being just changing the driver to a different one with a clean install.

So yet again today…

1. Sim hasn’t loaded at all for a number of days - CTD every time on inital load before I get to the menus.
  2. Today I downloaded and installed Guru3D de-bloated nVidia driver 531.18.
  3. I did NOT manually clear any caches.
  4. I did not reboot
  5. After installing this driver the sim started perfecty and I flew a 2 hour Longitude flight from southern England to Northern Scotland.
  6. The sim performed perfectly with good FPS and smooth GFX. No problems of any sort.
  7. After closing the sim down, I tried to restart it. It crashed on loading at the screen shown below.
  8. I restarted the PC then started the sim again. It crashed again on the same screen as shown below.

This scenario has been entirely repeatable here for weeks now, ever since 1.30.12.0 beta arrived.

It’s getting tiring to say the least.

1 Like

As far as I know the clean install and debloated driver would not have cleared the shader cache so you might look there first. I’ve no idea why it starts perfectly the first time and not the next but it certainly sounds like persistant data somewhere. I would look towards paging problems, for me a fixed 15GB virtual cache on C: with all others removed seems perfect. Another suspect is a folder or file being set read only that may not have been replaced by a later version … don’t ask me what though, I never take such chances.

GOT MINE TO FINALLY WORK!!! went into flight sim app in your setting menu. Did a reset and repair. This will cause the sim to download again 124GB. So far sim comes up. Will try today will mods and planes PMDG< FENIX and others added back to commmunity. Will keep forum informed of testing

but @SIedDriver own 64GIG RAM. Never disable pagefile, but with that amount of RAM also not many pagefile is necessary. I flew “years” with min/max 1/4GIG ( since some weeks I have only 512MB as min ).

What I not want to do, is that driver installing ping-pong. The 531.18 works. Okay, its a old GTX1080TI ( which are really old in meanwhile ), but I assume that have no effect.

If there is a relation to “it starts one time and then it allways crashs”, I would check the “dynamic” files ( still, dont forget windows hosts file in case one time a map-replacement mod was installed ). I would clean all shadercaches ( nvidia, system ) and also the files within appdata folders, incl. rolling.cache ( which is hopefull not more than 8gig ). If then the problem is gone, and come back after msfs re-start, its ensured a dynamic created file which cause the problem. If that not helps, I would limit the fps in NCP to a very low value and try to start.

On other side we see the “white circle” symbol. I remember old issue where cloud data was involved , or in another case files becomes corrupt. ( the older ones was the sound-stuff, but I assume that is not the case here ).

Glad you are sorted … Not that it would definitely have cured your problem there is a quick way of reinstalling so long as you backup and rename Community and Official. If not prompted for a packages location let it start downloadng but then pause, close the sim, rename those files back to Community and Official and REPLACE (when prompted) to the old location Update the path in UserCfg.opt if neccessary (shouldn’t have changed but check anyway) … restart the sim.

I tried that before. Did not work. WARNING for all who resets the sim. Just found out it will make you install everything in content manager again. I do mean EVERYTHING. All the previous updates like USA,Japan, Canada etc. ALL OF Them. This will take longer to download then the 124gb Sim download.