New Simmers: Introduce Yourself!

Hi I’m John and have been simimg for many years, FSX was my Sim. I’m a real world Private Pilot flying Cessna 152 & 172’s and have also flown the Caravan. Due to severe Heart problems, I have been grounded so flying the sim is my passion to keep flying. In FSX I flew the PMDG 737 which I love. Can’t wait until PMDG releases the 737 for MSFS 2020. I have built my own gaming computer and use three monitors to get a panoramic view. I installed MSFS 2020 about 3 Weeks ago and learning to get around. So far I really love it even with its quirks. I had the same problem as others with WU VI. Was very frustrating until I read about XBOX app.
So that’s my story and look forward to reading more and learning from you guys.
Happy Siming!

7 Likes

Joystick recommendations i just posted a small review of 3 joysticks in there.

1 Like

Greetings,
I’m simming now on a PC. I got my Private Pilot License back in 1980. Spent 30 years in Air Traffic Control (various facilities, various location - all in USA Terminal option). Have always loved aviation and when VR came to MSFS, bought a system and am trying to re-learn all the old school things my CFI taught me.

Kinda been lurking around the forums, but figured it is time to get active and participate. Heck I know I don’t know a lot about flying, but figure the ATC and PPL experience can help others out a little bit.

Be safe out there…

7 Likes

Hi all,

What an incredibly detailed forum.

I’m Liberance. First time simmer. It never occurred to me I’d enjoy a game like this, I’m more of a story-driven adventure game player. But the 2020 FS caught my eye as soon as they revealed how expansive it was going to be.

I play on console, Xbox Series X, so I’m glad they added it to GamePass so I could try it and get the feel of it. Loving it so far.

In real life, I’ve traveled quite a bit as I had to move between countries several times due to work. At the moment I go back and forth between Ireland and Spain. Over time, this makes you develop an interest in planes. How they work, what’s that sound, why did it do that that one time, which model am I gonna be on next flight, etc.

I’m still not sure what my plane of choice will be in the simulator, although handling wise I lean toward the Daher TBM. I’m slowly transitioning from a mostly automated configuration to doing more and more things manually myself, and I think I figured a good way to start learning the basics without overwhelming myself.

Anyways, that’s that. Nice to meet you all.

6 Likes

Hi @Liberance and welcome to the community!

Great to hear your story and how your love for planes developed!

Happy flying!

Greetings,
Sleevezipper

Hello, my name is Daryl. I have been using MFSF since the very early days. I don’t get too technical with this simulator however I am getting close to retirement and when that happens I feel I may have more time to really get into it and go with less automation. One thing I miss the most in the new MSFS is the in ability to set up a cross country trip with several planned stops. I used to like to get a nice long trip going and to be able to log in every once in a while and fly a leg. Oh well, maybe it will be coming. I have always been interested in flight. My father was a pilot when I was young and spent alot of time in the air. He eventually got his commercial rating and flew a DC-9. It was a thrill. So that’s my story and i am here to learn more about this sim.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Ian and I play on Xbox Series X.
The last time I played MSFS was a long time ago so this is a lot different.
One thing I’m really disappointed with are the in-game tutorials. I played through them as far as the end of the VFR section, but then there is a massive jump to an airliner, it makes no sense to me at all. Where are the missing tutorials?
Please don’t say that I have to use YouTube to find content.
This has spoilt the experience for me completely.

2 Likes

Hi @DextrousDigits!

At present, the tutorials you mentioned are the ones that are available from within the sim.

There are a few wishlist topics around expanding these (see a couple of examples below), so I suggest you consider contributing to those threads with your ideas of how they can be improved.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am a new simmer and am totally confused. I have several peripherals but I can’t find the mapping information. In other words I dont know which is which. Any ideas

There are some study level ADD ONS on IFR and VFR in the Marketplace.

Hello :slightly_smiling_face: I have friends who have moved to Spain and am trying to fly to there new house. :grinning: I know this may be an odd question but would you like to be a friend and help me out in locating there house in the Malaga area please :wink: Stewart

1 Like

**Hi, you can call me:Saddy
**I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: PC it a gaming laptop with RTX and pretty capable of running it at 40 50 fps
**I want to try flight simulation because: realism and how pilots fly VFR and IFR
I’m most interested in learning about complex flight routes and procedures whixh real life pilots use in Microsoft Flight Simulator:

5 Likes

Welcome Saddy I highly recommend flying the TBM or Cessna 208 to get started and use the training route Charlotte to Asheville

Hi - I’m Kitfox Student and I live in Great Britain. I’ve had some of the earlier MS Flight Sim programmes but had to wait for this one to go on Xbox (I’ve got S series which seems adequate for my needs with a 32" screen.) as my laptop was just not good enough.

I’ve been through the flight tutorials with A marks on all, except two where I had a B. Try as I can I cannot get an A because the lesson starts at the wrong height and I have to climb to get to the right height, which affects my mark!

I am now doing the bush adventure from Terra del Fuego. I’ve done six legs, but am now stuck as the Cubcrafters X Cub model engine cuts out at about 3000 ft. Try as I can, I cannot see what I am doing wrong - but I’m stuck at SCDW. I am also running low on fuel!

Does anybody know where in the community I can get help???

The scenery and planes are really superb - it’s just my flying…

1 Like

Hi, you all can call me Alex I’m from Ireland, I’ve had the sim now about 2 weeks and never actually knew I had an interest in flight simulator till I got it, but having amazing fun.
I’m flying it on my pc, it has a ryzen 5 3600, 24gb ram and an rtx 3060.

I started out by going straight in the deep end and flying high altitude airliners but then found I actually prefer VFR and GA more.

Anyway looking forward to engaging here in the community and please forgive any of my ignorance when it comes to my knowledge of flight simulator, im learning.

4 Likes

Hi, you can call me: Kris
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: Alienware laptop with 3060 card
I want to try flight simulation because: I am planning to join a flying club to get a private pilot license
I’m most interested in learning about using yoke and rudder controls in Microsoft Flight Simulator: I have purchased a logitech yoke and throttle and rudder combo with trackIR head tracking set to learn how to feel the flying in simulator before I actually go try a real flight.

6 Likes

Welcome @mkrisnandi! Good luck with your PPL training when you start :airplane:

Hi there! You can call me Suresh
I last was on MSFS 20+ years ago but now am back!
Swapped out my PS4 and moved to XBOX Series S just so I can get back to flying!
Going through all the basics again and love being back in the virtual air again!
Great to be here!

5 Likes

Welcome back to flight simming! Happy flying :small_airplane:

1 Like

help!!! i am fairly new to msfs.have a great pc–rtx3090/i9.my problem is as follows:i have thrustmaster flight control pack(joystick/throttle and rudder.game does not recognise elevators/ailerons although joystick seems ok.

1 Like