Official Discussion: Upcoming Hotfix Announcement

I honestly think the new shader code is much better representing what you’d observe with a n.aked eye IRL, when the sun shinning through is making it nearly impossible to discerning details in the clouds because they are too bright for your eyes.

However the drawback in the implementation like you’re explaining is the global increase of what could be simply described as “ambiant” lighting, therefore reducing or eliminating some shadows, giving what some are also calling a “cartoon” look, etc… I’ve been also wondering whether another factor isn’t contributing to amplifying the differences (Rec.2020 vs BT.709 - see below).

I just hope personally this won’t be reverted to SU4 levels but this will be kept to SU5 rendering with a better balance of ambient/direct and MIE/Raleigh as well (there is another topic about this and haze since SU5…) in order to keep the much more realistic (to me at least) visuals of the clouds and their natural high reflectivity which is blinding IRL.

The main drawback of the increased luminosity to me is not much the clouds themselves, but the metering which is over exposing based on the total render average luma:

This is a problem in 2D and it is even more a problem in VR. This is why I’ve suggested the implementation of a spot metering or a weighted average system instead. Preliminary tests using the SteamVR FOV adjustment is showing me better results in averaging luma on the center quartile of the image (FOV 50%):

[BUG/FEATURE] Implement a metering system better suited for VR

Having said this and to keep things in balance, keeping the higher reflectivity would also require implementing this feature in my opinion:

[FEATURE REQUEST] Can you please add a “Sun Glasses” mode :sunglasses: ? (not a joke)

TL;DR: if you’ve already tried looking to the sun in game through a sun visor in an aircraft, the suggestion is to make is a standard option you can toggle with the same rendering principle as the sun visor but in front of the camera eye(s). This works great as-is with the game renderer, nothing complex to add than a follow-the-camera 3D glass material in front.

Hope this helps!

12 Likes