Terry Fox Marathon of Hope Registration Thread (Charity)

Hi everyone,

The third event of the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series is coming up on September 4 (Stage 1) and September 11 (Stage 2)! In this event, we’ll be re-creating one of the most heroic and uplifting moments from Canadian history, Terry Fox’s Marathon of Hope.

Registration Form (Deadline is 2359Z on Saturday, August 28).

Important note: this race is open to everyone, including those who missed Endurance Race #1 (Indian-Pacific Wing Race) and Endurance Race #2 (Paris-Dakar Rally). There will be an overall series winner for the pilot who completes all four 2021 races in the fastest combined time, but each event is a standalone race with an individual winner. You can choose to participate in one, two, three, or all four. It’s entirely up to you.

Note for Xbox players: This is the first event in the series since the launch of MSFS on the Xbox. If you are an Xbox player, you are welcome and encouraged to register and participate in this race. Your finish time will be tracked and logged on the leaderboard; however, since we use a third-party mod that is only available to PC players to confirm that everyone competed fairly and within the rules of the event, Xbox players will not be eligible for any prizes.

The rules remain the same from the previous races in the series with one exception. Since flying coast-to-coast across Canada in a single day is too long, we will be dividing this event into two stages on consecutive Saturdays (September 4 and 11, 2021). You must fly the same plane in both stages.

Event Description

Stage 1: St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada (CYYT) to Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada (CYQT)
September 4, 2021
1,460 nautical miles
Estimated flying time: ~12-13 hours at an average ground speed of 120 knots

Stage 2: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada (CYQT) to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (CYYJ)
September 11, 2021
1,349 nautical miles
Estimated flying time: ~11-12 hours at an average ground speed of 120 knots

About the Marathon of Hope

Terry Fox is a household name and legendary figure to all Canadians. For our international pilots who may not be familiar with Terry’s story, here is a brief summary. As a teenager growing up in the 1970s, Terry was a talented multi-sport athlete who exceled at both track and field and basketball. Sadly, at age 18, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, and doctors were forced to amputate his right leg to prevent the cancer from spreading further. While undergoing chemotherapy treatment, Terry was touched by the pain experienced by the other patients in the cancer ward, many of them young children.

Inspired by runner Richard Traum, the first person to complete the New York Marathon with an artificial leg, Terry hatched a plan to raise money for cancer research: in 1980, he would attempt to run coast-to-coast across Canada with the goal of receiving a $1 donation from every Canadian citizen (24 million at the time). On April 12, 1980, Terry ceremonially dipped his artificial leg into the Atlantic Ocean near St. John’s, Newfoundland. His Marathon of Hope had begun.

Over the next 4.5 months, while running on an artificial leg, Terry completed the equivalent of a full marathon every day for a total of 5,373 kilometers (3,339 miles). As word of the Marathon of Hope spread, soon large crowds of people would be waiting in the streets to greet Terry and cheer him on with words of encouragement as he arrived in their town. On September 1, 1980, while outside the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario (almost the exact half-way point across Canada), Terry collapsed in immense pain. Doctors advised him of the tragic news that not only had his cancer returned, but it had now spread to his lungs. Terry had run his last mile, having raised $1.9 million of his $24 million goal.

He returned to his home town of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia and entered the hospital for cancer treatment. On June 28, 1981, at the age of only 22, Terry Fox died. Inspired by his selfless act of courage and determination in the face of adversity, Terry’s legacy lives on to this day. Every September, towns across Canada and in other countries all over the world host an annual Terry Fox Run to raise money for cancer research. To date, over $800 million has been donated in Terry’s name. In 2004, he was voted the second-greatest Canadian to ever live. Across Canada, dozens of schools, roads, trails, and other buildings are named for Terry Fox, a true Canadian hero.

In this event, we will be re-creating Terry’s Marathon of Hope in Microsoft Flight Simulator, with Stage 1 consisting of a flight from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Thunder Bay, Ontario (the portion of the marathon that Terry actually completed) and Stage 2 consisting of a flight from Thunder Bay to Victoria, British Columbia (the unfinished portion of the marathon that Terry was unable to complete after his cancer returned).

Date and Time

Please see the table below for the start time in some common global time zones. Note that Newfoundland Time is offset by 30 minutes instead of the standard hour. Stage 1 starts at 8:30am Newfoundland time on September 4, which is 7:00am ET or 1100Z. Stage 2 starts at 8am ET or 1200Z on September 11. See the below images for the race start times in several different time zones from around the world:

Stage 1 (September 4, 2021)

Stage 2 (September 11, 2021)

I’ve also created a Countdown Clock to the exact race start time.

Charity: The Terry Fox Foundation

As part of this event, please consider supporting The Terry Fox Foundation. If you are livestreaming your race, please promote this excellent organization and solicit donations from your viewers. @FactualGull1036 has been in touch with the Terry Fox Foundation, and together they have created a custom campaign donation page for our event. Please use this link if you plan to make a donation to this excellent organization:

Terry Fox Marathon of Hope Rules

1. Full realism settings in MSFS must be enabled. In the Options Menu, “Piloting” must be set to “Hard” with the exception of “Take-off Auto Rudder” which can be on or off depending on your preference. “Aircraft Systems” and “Failure & Damage” must be set to “Hard”. All “Navigation Aids” must be turned off with the exception of “Taxi Ribbon” which can be on or off depending on your preference.
    1a. The procedure for refueling is as follows: land at any airport and come to a complete stop. You can then re-fill your fuel tanks using the in-game menu along the top of the screen. You must wait a minimum of 10 minutes before taking off again for the next leg of your flight. During this 10 minute wait, you are permitted to taxi and reposition your plane, but you must remain on the ground and not exceed 50 knots.
  2. Live Weather and Live Time must be turned on for the entire duration of the flight.
  3. Everyone will take off from CYYT simultaneously at exactly 8:30am Newfoundland Daylight Saving Time (1100Z) on September 4 and from CYQT at 8:00am Eastern Daylight Saving Time (1200Z) on September 11. We will be playing on the home server of the departure airports (East USA).
    3a. Your race ends as soon as you come to a full stop landing with the parking brake on at CYQT (Stage 1) and CYYJ (Stage 2). Your time is measured as the total number of hours and minutes elapsed since each stage’s start time, not the amount of time you personally spent flying. For example, if you flew for 10 hours, took an 8 hour break, then flew for another 10 hours, your completion time would be 28 hours, not 20. Your total event time is the combined time of both stages.
    3b. You have a total of 96 hours from the race start time to complete each stage of the event.
  4. Pilots are free to plot their own individual flight plans from CYYT to CYQT (Stage 1) and from CYQT to CYYJ (Stage 2). Waypoints and cruising altitudes are at each pilot’s discretion.
    4a. During Stage 1, pilots can optionally choose to follow Terry’s actual route from the real Marathon of Hope. A .pln file for this flight plan can be downloaded at this link.
  5. Pilots can choose any of the default aircraft included in the Standard, Premium, or Premium Deluxe versions of MSFS (no custom add-on aircraft allowed), but you may only fly single piston engine GA planes. No airliners, jets, turboprops, or multi-engine aircraft are allowed.
    5a. Additionally, the Beechcraft Bonanza is banned due to having substantially better performance than all the other GA planes.
    5b. All planes must be flown stock from Asobo/Microsoft. No 3rd party mods, including liveries and flight model enhancements, are permitted.
    5c. You are not permitted to switch aircraft types partway through the run. You must fly the same plane for the entire duration of the race.
    5d. You must fly the same aircraft type for both stages of the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope.
  6. Enabling the autopilot is allowed and, in fact, is encouraged. Please take bathroom breaks and periodically get up to stretch.
  7. Successfully landing at any airport creates a “save point”. If you crash (either virtually in the sim or your computer crashes), you may “respawn” and continue the race from your last “save point”. Your elapsed time does not reset, however.
    7a. You can create a “save point” by performing a quick touch-and-go landing at any airport. You may not refuel during a touch-and-go, however. Refueling is only permitted if you wait on the ground for 10 minutes per Rule 1a.
  8. All pilots must track their flight using https://simair.io/ . This is to validate everyone’s time, flight path, and refueling.
  9. The deadline for registering for this event is 2359Z on Saturday, August 28.

2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series Rules

1. Each race in the series will have an individual winner.
  2. The Grand Champion of the 2021 MSFS Endurance Race Series will be the pilot with the fastest total time across all four events combined.
  3. You must fly a unique aircraft type in each event to qualify for the Grand Champion. You may not fly the same plane in more than one race.
    3a. Additionally, you may only fly one (1) of the following three planes across all four races: Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, Pitts Special S2S. For example, if you flew the Cirrus in the Australia event, you may not fly ANY of the Cirrus, Extra, or Pitts in any of the subsequent three races.

To confirm which aircraft you used in previous races, check the Results Spreadsheet.

Registration Form (Deadline is 2359Z on Saturday, August 28).

2 Likes

Drawing extra attention to this in case anyone missed it when skimming over the rules:

I will personally be following Terry’s actual route. This flight plan is quite a bit longer than the magenta line great circle route from CYYT to CYQT, and therefore will result in a non-competitive race time, but in my opinion this will make for a more fun and interesting flight that will hopefully lead to more fundraising for the charity. Also, on our Twitch channel during the race, FactualGull will read excerpts from Terry Fox’s diary that he wrote about each city during the real Marathon of Hope.

Hi @SeedyL3205

Are you going to be collecting Stage 1 and Stage 2 times separately or a combined time for both stages after Stage 2? I ask because I will be tied up over Labor Day weekend and may not get Stage 1 completed until the Friday before Stage 2.

MO Pilot 54

Hi @MOPilot54,

I’ll be recording times for both stages separately and then combining them for the total event time. Take a look at the Results Spreadsheet to see how the times will be recorded.

This is really cool!

I am involved in the Great Cycle Challenge which raises money for Childrens Cancer Research. We ride our bikes for the month of August to an individual or team goal and raise money.

To start it off, I drove West to the monument which I haven’t visited in 30 years and then camped at the Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and rode to the Sleeping Giant Trail Head before hiking to the top.

Was a great experience and is a fantastic cause!

1 Like

I just thought of this. i guess anyone using the g1000NXI beta will need to uninstall it via the content manager before the marathon

little bit of a flight test happening here. Plus a cool sunset

1 Like

An issue that needs to be brought to the forefront for the upcoming races in this series. The DA40 as many know received a substantial increase to its performance after the 1st race and before the 2nd race. These are the actual numbers.

Australia 4 Aor 21 Length 1768 Miles
Capt Grogbeard 14:79 Avg Speed 119
Quaxx (Balt278) 14.98 Avg Speed 118
Cyclone62 15.05 Avg Speed 117

Dakar 3 Jul 21 Length 2279 Miles
Blue Yonder 16.62 Avg Speed 137
Haddock31 16.72 Avg Speed 136
LaMario 17.15 Avg Speed 133

Therefore all the pilots of the DA40 in the first race should be allowed a corrected time to bring their performance in line with everyone else.
Avg gain in performance in 2nd race was 20 knots therefore that speed multiplied by the time in the 1st race 15 hours is 300 miles divided by avg speed of 118 = 2.5 hours that should be subtracted from ALL DA40 pilots final times in the 1st race.
The reason for choosing the top 3 finishers in both races is to prove the point of the increase in performance and to establish a baseline that would work for any aircraft if they were to receive a substantial benefit in upcoming races. If someone wants to check the numbers that is fine I am merely bringing the issue to everyones attention. We have fun in these events as they are for charity however it is also a competition and it needs to be fair for all regardless of the tweaks that asobo / microsoft make to the sim.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

@FactualGull1036 reached out to the fundraising team at the Terry Fox Foundation, and together they have created a custom campaign page for our charity event. Whether you are planning to donate yourself or if you are streaming your race and will be soliciting donations from your viewers, please use the link below so we can track how much money we collectively raised as a community. All donated funds using this link go directly to the Terry Fox Foundation; FactualGull and I do not touch any of the money. I’ve also updated the OP with this information.

Also, as a reminder, the registration deadline is in less than two weeks from this writing. Please sign up before Saturday, August 28 at 2359Z if you have not already done so.

1 Like

Quite right cyclone62 the DA40 debacle , we should be compensated for the lost hours thanks for your time doing the research.

It is very evident that my post has fallen on deaf ears and am sure now it will just be ignored. IE Nothing to see here move along.

@Cyclone62,

You have already stated your point about the DA40 multiple times in other race threads. I’m not going to change my mind on this if you keep asking every time I create a thread for a new event.

Also, I suggest you re-evaluate your expectations of the Endurance Race Series if you feel so strongly about the DA40. I’m organizing these races as fun community events to raise money for charity. They have never been about intense competition. There isn’t a fabulous prize at the end of the year for the grand champion. If you enjoy the races for their own sake and want to help support the various causes for which we are raising funds, then great. If you think this is the virtual equivalent of the Reno Air Races or the Tour de France, then move along because this isn’t the event you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Since you feel that way mr high and mighty you can continue to live in your fantasy world. A race is a competition regardless of it being for charity or not and it is unfair if the rules do not take into consideration the compromised performance of any aircraft. So then I believe we need to ask the community about the issue and take a poll. The fact remains that this issue could have been addressed but it has not. You said it yourself it is the Endurance RACE Series. Another thing I will add is I addressed you directly and did not post things in your other threads but now I will post it in these threads so others can see.

@Cyclone62,

A race is a competition regardless of it being for charity

A 10km Fun Run is a race. Does anyone treat it as a serious competition? That’s the type of event these endurance races have always been modeled after: fun, friendship, camaraderie, and charity fundraising.

Another thing I will add is I addressed you directly and did not post things in your other threads but now I will post it in these threads so others can see.

This you?

I will boil this whole conversation down to just one question to @Cyclone62, if i may (i might sound like a douchebag, but it’s not meant that way, i’m quite curous though).

What’s more important, you or the fundraising?

P.S. please delete if inappropiate.

Edit: Added the P.S.

Making these sort of adjustments is a slippery slope. Let’s say in the next 2 updates the Pitts gets a range boost, or the Pipistrel gets a fuel capacity increase, or the SR22 gets nerfed… SeedyL could spend weeks adjusting everyone’s race times retroactively to the point that they no longer reflect the times that anyone actually flew. And every adjustment that shuffles the race results would be argued endlessly.

I think it’s well established by this point that MSFS is a sim that is still changing on a regular basis, and all we know how all the planes compare to each other on race day. And ultimately these races are for fun and charity, as has been said.

1 Like

Let’s say in the next 2 updates the Pitts gets a range boost, or the Pipistrel gets a fuel capacity increase, or the SR22 gets nerfed…

It’s already been confirmed that the performance of the SR22 – by far the most popular choice for this particular event – is being changed with WU6 which is scheduled to go live between the two stages of the upcoming race.

See this comment from Thursday’s dev blog:

SR22 performance and fuel consumption has been modified to better match POH

It’s not stated if the SR22 will be changed in such a way that gives it better or worse performance compared to the current version. So what should I do? Ban that plane? Retroactively modify the times of everyone who has used it not only in this race but also the previous two events? Or just do the sensible and logical thing and continue as if nothing changed because ultimately this event IS FOR FUN AND FOR CHARITY and no reasonable person actually cares about the results.

1 Like

Where is that information on the development roadmapor feedback snapshot? it is not mentioned. As has already been proven that their promises of things getting fixed has resulted in adverse effects to other things in the sim. 2 steps forward and 3 steps back has been the net result so far for a year. Anything that might happen to the Cirrus is obviously just speculation at this point.

Where is that information on the development roadmapor feedback snapshot? it is not mentioned.

[…]

Anything that might happen to the Cirrus is obviously just speculation at this point.

It was mentioned in Thursday’s weekly Development Blog which I linked in the post above.

Is there already a list where you can see who is registered? I don’t know right now if my registration went through :smiley: