That was one of the first things I visited back in August on release. When you compare that to the X-Plane version, which I flew over on a US tour in the Kodiak, there is no comparison.
I was flyin’ o’er a crater in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see…
I tried this out,
It looks really funny
but flywise it feels like a Blériot. Its liftoff is very slow, aircraft feeling overly heavy. And it requires some skill to use the “aeleron” which is not really an aeleron. Landing went quite smooth and easy, but this thing is so slow you can correct multiple times while flying over the runway. But it also requires a lot of landing space.. approach low, glide, roll out, then taxi out.. don’t try to force it down last moment.
For sightseeing, I prefer the 103… or Cessna L19 seaplane, or freeware Goose, when I want to land on water.
G’day!
Today I flew from Cairns (YBCS) to Hamilton Island (YBHM) in the CJ4 working title
Then VCCA to VTSP in the BOMBARDIER CRJ700
Cheers Flewy
Continued my journey in South America with a flight from Columbia to Ecuador in the A320.
It’s wrong terrain data, cached or Bing or otherwise.. and the default resolution is not enough for mountains, even with Norwegian mountains, that are mostly rounded.
I have a tip.
I don’t see any spikes or (many) bad mountains in Norway because I downloaded a faultless DEM for it. This is big (ca 5GB) but when you love Norway, make sure get it..
https://flightsim.to/file/14804/norway-20m-dem-part-1-high-resolution-terrain-elevation-data-from-lidar-imaging
https://it.flightsim.to/file/14837/norway-20m-dem-part-2-high-resolution-terrain-elevation-data-from-lidar-imaging
Great idea, but…
a.) when I buy a sim I expect the fundamental terrain data not to be perfect, but generally fit for use without such spikes and other strange phenomena.
b.) Everytime I’m complaining about CTDs and other issues I’m always told: Try with an empty community folder. (Actually last August Asobo told to the world that the community would play an important part in MSFS, now it’s seen as the origin of problems.) What will happen after the next update if I install this DEM? A new series of CTSs because the DEM is incompatible with the updates?
c.) Last autumn these spikes weren’t there, now they occur after several “updates”.
No one has diskspace for perfect, we have to do with “no spikes” and “good mountains”. Now, 20m is best available download for Norway. There is a 10m DEM for Austria.
When I find an issue. I try to solve it. Especially when it does not cost me..
this is freeware. Maybe solving the Trondheim spikes is not a priority, because MS/Asobo will replace the whole thing with the next update.
And of course make sure to remove this data from your Community folder prior to the Norway update. I made that mistake once: to leave a London Orbx addon in, surviving the UK MSFS world update. I’ve still nightmares of the view I got. I could sue them for psychological damage. But I won’t, I try to enjoy the game.
With Community, always be carefull. But there is no paranoia needed. Worst case, AP, aircraft and ATC addins can cause a CTD. Bad scenery will look ugly, or give you a low frame rate. When \Community causes issues, you don’t need to remove things. Just park them for a while and wait for an update. Of the addin OR for MSFS. For instance, since october 2020 I have this lovely Ameland airstrip addin, really nice stuff. It worked until december.. then it gave me stutters. But each update, I try to install it again. Just to see if something happened. Don’t be afraid to experiment with Community, it can do no real harm, it is all “sandboxed”.
Here’s the same spot you showed..
Completed two bush trip legs but since they are no longer showing up, I couldn’t prove it.
I flew from Ecuador to Peru, and attempted to land the A32NX at CUZCO, an airport at 11000 feet.
Look at the last 5 minutes and see what happened:
KBID to KUUU using the (new to me) C172 JT-A, short final into R22. This mod is great - so much easier to control the engine power and no longer having to address mixture settings. And it handles less twitchier than the stock Skyhawk. Just looking forward to Gaya Simulations fixing up Block Island airport.
Continued my Airbus flight from Peru to…the very tip of South America.




























































