Bad warp effect with Radeon RX 6700XT

Hi, I’ve recently upgraded my Gigabyte Nvidia 1080 to an AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Challenger Pro 12Gb and was hoping this would enhance my MSFS VR experience, I my have been wrong! I am suffering from major warp issues - basically looks like there is a bowl of clear jelly between my eyes and the VR headset screens, even with very little head movement there are wobbles in my direct and peripheral vision). I didn’t get any warping like this with my Nvidia 1080 (and it wasn’t even the Ti version!).

I have tried multiple configurations using various tools but the warping just won’t go away. I’ve tried turnng ASW off with the Oculus debug tool, tried the same with the Oculus Tray Tool and tried various hardware configurations suggested on these forums but it just will not go away. I noticed there are some Vsync options in the 6700XT Radeon software settings but again nothing seems to work. I’ve tried completely lowering the display settings for the headset and MSFS graphics settings but the warping is like a bad smell :frowning:

My setup:

Windows 10
Oculus Quest 2
Ryzen 5 3600
32Gb RAM
ASRock 6700XT Challenger Pro

Has anyone overcome this issue? Is this an AMD 6000 range issue? I’ve seen a few people complain about the warping but couldn’t see any solutions.

I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). I haven’t tried a complete windows reinstall, the thought of downloading MSFS for the third time sends shivers down my spine.

I’m getting desperate now and thinking of selling the card and revering back to my 5 year old 1080 for now. I’ll try tweaking for one more evening but get the feeling this isn’t going to go away.

Thank for the help!

If you use OpenXR, disable the retroprojection.
It does that with my 6800 XT MBE.

Don´t use the newest driver 21.6.x . I have the same experience with my 6900XT. Try 21.5.2 and it should be ok.

Thanks guys!

@Navas117260 Great shout! Warp effect has disappeared now, thanks very much, saved me the hassle of listing it on ebay!

Noticed 21.7.x has been released today, anyone brave enough to test it???!

That driver is Worse than 21.5.2 in vr. Try the 21.2.3 drive only installed through device Manger.

I stopped getting flightsim CTD in event viewer using this method.

Still get the wobble as all AMD drivers display.

6900xt here.

Thanks @Corei7rocks, yup the CTD’s had me a few times so interested in the 21.2.3 driver but couldn’t find it in the “Previous drivers” link, what do you mean “through device Manager”, sry, I feel I should know what this means!

Thx!

Google with a quick search https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-2-3

Extract the driver. When you get to where it wants to install after it extracts to a folder just canel after extracted.

Uninstall your previous driver and reboot. Open device manager when your back to the desktop, go to display the choose then properties of Microsoft generic driver then update driver tab and browse to where the driver was extracted to which is usually C/AMD/ driver version…and choose the the folder 21.2.3 and it will install.

Best of luck.

I tried it, still has the motion reprojection artifacts, so please avoid. I rolled back to 21.5.2.

21.5.2 has been worse for me. It is always freezing and more stutters that than 21.2.3

Thanks for the tips, I tried your method of installing v21.2.3 but unfortunately this version caters for 6800xt & 6900xt but not my 6700xt grrrrr. Now I’ve overcome the wobble effect I’m now being hit by the CTD issues. I’ll take a look at v21.2.2 perhaps!

Any luck fixing your problem? I have exactly the same issue, and we basically have the same PC specs, except my 6700 XT is a Sapphire Pulse.

Yes kind of, I’m using an earlier version of the driver (version 21.5.2) as suggested by Navas earlier in the thread. Relatively happy with the performance now, I was close to sending it back but thankfully this version sorted out my warping issue. I’ve also played about with Oculus Tray Tool, had mixed results but think this increased my frame rate marginally. Annoyingly I have had a couple of CTDs (crash to desktop) but after a few hours without any CTDs this weekend I’m going to stick with this card for now until the 3080s are a more reasonable price!

The downgrade seems to have made things better. I still get a bit of the warping/smearing effect but it is not as noticeable as it was before.

I’ve tried using the Oculus Tray Tool but many times it actually appeared to make it worse. I think I might not be activating it properly.

Do you know how many fps you’re getting? Using the developer tools, the frame rate seems to be at a stable 35-36 fps.

Also do you have any particular settings that improve your VR experience? I basically use the settings found here with some modifications:

The Quest 2 itself is set at 72hz with resolution at 1.0x, and Oculus Tray Tool settings which I got from a YouTube video are:

Super Sampling 1.6
ASW 18hz
FOV 0.7 0.8
Bitrate 500

Wondering if anyone has tried the most recent driver release with the 6700 XT?

I’m in the same boat. I just got an Oculus Quest 2, and was super excited to try this in FS2020. I’m also running on the 6700XT wit a Ryzen 9 5900x. The first time I tried to use it, I was quite disappointed. The first thing you notice is as soon as you enter VR mode in the sim, the gray grid behind the menu starts shaking and wobbling all over the place. Where the lines should be drawn straight, they’ll sometimes flash all crooked and squiggly for a few frames. This scrambling effect persists all the way into the actual simulation - basically making things unplayable.

I tried going back to 12.5.2, but that still looked pretty bad. I saw 21.2.3 mentioned, perhaps I’ll try that one next.

I did notice that reducing the render scale within the sim down to its lowest helped a bit, but even at that scale I’m still seeing problems (and the sim looks like a potato).

Apparently many people are having this problem: check out this link: Quest2: picture flickering and shaking even in main menu (this one has a youtube video which shows the exact problem I see in flight)

This seems to be describing the same problem, and seems like it’s specific to AMD cards: Oculus Rift: Strange wobbling already in menu

Another post with this problem exactly: Wobbling with Radeon RX 6XXX graphics cards

This doesn’t look like the exact same problem, but they’ve suggested using virtual desktop.(Quest 2 stuttering and tearing/flickering - #51 by ashmanmedia) Has anyone tried that?

More potentially AMD related issues here: VR with AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and Oculus Quest 2 over Oculus Link

Ok, finally got this to go away, and “Default ASW Mode” in OTT was the key for me. However, I had to make the change after I was actually in VR mode within the game.

So: load up the game, switch to VR, open up Oculus Tray Tool, and change “Default ASW Mode” to “Off”. There’s no apply button, no save…nothing like that, but the changes take effect immediately. Even in the main menu page I could immediately notice a difference.

Note: I did notice that the grid lines were still a bit shaky, but once I was in the cockpit, everything seemed WAY better.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.