Optimal settings for Flight Simulator - Nvidia

Well lets hope they have the staff in place to fine tune.

Im set to ultra settings, and detail except Tree and grass set to high so far Im stable when locked to 60 fps. Except the ■■■■ Over detail on the Cockpits of the Airbus drop it to 40’s. There seriously needs to be an option for a lower detail cockpit.

1 Like

@Spazzy At this point I don’t really care about the drama between you and Babu. I’m mainly concerned about the way you presented the findings you had.

The only issue I have is that you did not provide any actual hard data. Many users don’t know how to tinker with settings to balance performance and quality, and you aren’t really guiding them here. You aren’t showing them what the settings can actually do for performance in a controlled setting (specific time of day, location, aircraft, etc.).

For example: In my reddit post, I start with a 747 at JFK at the same gate and look the same way.

I set it to the low preset and change one setting, showing the performance differences between each setting, fully with the graph timings and everything.

Surely you must have done the same thing and have the data stored somewhere, right? If so, I would like to see them.

That sort of data being public is extremely crucial not only to help users better understand what their performance numbers will look like and what settings specifically do for performance, but to get a larger data set of hardware and performance that other testers can use to find faults in the game, or where some optimization can be had.

2 Likes

60.1 FPS LOL I get 40 if lucky, cockpit 16-20 on that plane.

Sounds like another account of the same person with same typo.

Spazzies Settings and IM’s Helped, the other guys did not help, they hindered my performance by a large margin.

Go stick to his post if they work for you. They do not work for others.

hopefully they already on it, as Beta / Alpha users have said, performance pre release was better, and release build was different from what they had, they had to uninstall and install fresh

I often and streaming at least in 1080p to youtube at the same time. But it doesn’t seem to hinder it.

I do not run things like Discord, or have notifications active on my system. They can lag things a bit, they can also be very annoying popping up.

Just now I was posting to much and didn’t notice my wings and tail were icign up going from Sand fran to Salt lake. Hit the mountains and got alarms left an right. I have to cruise at 25,000 on that flight

Thanks for the help.

Works much better now.

Appreciate the time you have taken for extras tips and working through issues.

I hope the bugs and lack of optimization is worked out.

Nice. I watch your stream on YouTube, and can see how well it performs on your system. Mine is fine tuned now as well. Thanks guy. (I am assuming guy).

I tried the other settings but it was a headache to look through it , and they just didn’t help me as much as these basics. Tweaked a tad more and I am happy.

Seems the argument is less an argument then a factor that the other guy goes on peoples posts and act like he is the know it all official.

I tried his first. His write up was to much of a mess with information, frankly, I don’t care about.

Most of us care about the basics. It’s nice to know what the base settings affect. This post did a good job at that. Then what to start at. It did a good job at that.

There will be other factors in plain that no particular version will be good at. At least this guy leaves room for people to leave tips on what helped their particular cards and set ups. A self proclaimed know it all doesn’t leave room for feedback in a positive way.

All his comments and your have done are create chaos when it was fine for us to check.

He that one guy above does come off as a rude person who didn’t help the discussion.

Then we find out that the data streaming , weather, and live player feature was causing issues for people and performance until later today.

I found these to work best with this one system setup. May not work the best on all systems due to to many other factors. You can increase clouds with little impact, however i nstorms or hig hdesity clouds, it will suddenly have a great impact. Your choice to leave room.

Keep in mind. You can adjust details wit Geforce experience, add a game filter, with no impact. Increase sharpness a tad, the HDR, add the Brightness / contrast filter and adjust shadows, and more.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

GPU stock Nvidia RTX 2080 Super (Optimized Fan speed and cooling - Stock clocks)
System Memory: HyperX 32GB DDR4
Hard Drive: 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (game and rolling cache install location)

Game settings (right now Im set for 1080p over 4k - mainly due to streaming at the same time to the YouTube channels in 1080p and the avoid the odd windowing effect from 4k. 4k will drop FPS to the 45-50 range. Lower in cockpit mode on the airbus and 747. Keep in mind on larger planes you fly higher with a cruise of 12,000 to 30,000 feet. Mid 20,000 to 25,000 ft. .

Game graphic settings (leaves a little room).

GPU settings that may work for you. You may need to tweak the shadows, and other item details. Keep in mind it can change in various places. This helped balance appearance, detail, smoothness and performance on my system.

Once direct x 12 and RTX optimization is available that will change again.

3 Likes

I was in a IGN alpha and later beta. I had much more stable frames in detail in the 80’s and higher, I could run 4k without issue. PErhaps there is a tad more shadowing and other aspects, but Even with live players, traffic it was more stable.

I’m hoping for Nvidia Optimizations, better CPU, and face it they need both intel and AMD optimizations. You would expect Ryzen with Xbox versions being worked on. I ahte to say it, but if the PC version is slow on optimizations, Direct X 12 and RTX optimizations, ill end up switching to the Series X version if it is.

I got it stable, but it’s sorta like, I’m settling for half stable.

np, just sharing what we find. :wink: and hoping it helps.

1 Like

Thanks for putting in the time and effort on this it’s really appreciated. I’ve mostly been flying the Bush trip challenges and get 50-60fps +/-5 on 2560x1440 8700k @ 5.0Ghz 2080SUPER

1 Like

Man your settings worked like a charm! I was playing on that other guys 1080p settings and while it was decent, it wouldn’t do 4K well. Screenshots are too large to uplaod. 29 FPS 46% GPU usage doing a Bush Trip leg over Nevada in 4K!. Appreciate it! Running a 2070 SUPER on an i7-9700 (8CPU)

Just saying, you’d normally want your GPU usage at 90%.

1 Like

What are those settings like if you were to fly over places like LAX, SFO, or JFK (though, JFK might be bugged, it’d still be nice to see)? 60.1 FPS is great, but it doesn’t mean much if you’re high in the sky over some barren land. That’s not really how the game is presented to be enjoyed.

I also noticed that people were saying AI and Live traffic were causing performance issues. I haven’t tested myself since I’m taking a break from the performance testing to just enjoy the game. But it would be nice to see a comparison.

Edit: Also, someone mentioned doing a very long flight to KSEA and KSEA having huge performance issues on their system while previously is was fine. I personally didn’t notice many performance issues after my KLAX to KSEA flight. Maybe there’s some performance issues depending on the size of rolling cache, especially if it needs to delete from disk, write to disk, and read from disk basically all at the same time?

Spazzy, thank you so much for your hard work in putting together your wonderful recommendations. I participated in the Alpha/Beta program and with your help and also eliminating any programs interracting with Simconnect, this Flight Sim now runs Smooth with consistent high frame rates. I have been a Flight Simmer for 30 plus years and really love this.

2 Likes

Still not as optimized as it could be.

I hate runnign third party stuff. HEstitate on this gamign system. Other games run in 4k so perfectly.

I am hoping DIrect X 12 and Nvidia optimizations come out for this soon. They stated the Series X version will be Direct X 12 optimized, and the PC will have Nvidia Optimizations for RTX series, and something else for AMD cards, so I guess we just need to be patient.

There is a lot of optimization to be done of the avionics, especially the airliner MFDs. In midair I get around 30fps in cockpit view, I turn of the battery so all is black and the frames go up to mid 40s.

To much rendering inside. Honeslty their needs to be an option to not render the detail of no Operable buttons. Have it flat for all I care and the operable non mesh.

An a less detailed interior. version for more function