PSA: Performance problems with latest update might be rooted in Trees (calling for feedback)

Yeah not the best but figured that whatever performance hit using the Game Bar capture I might get was the lesser of the two evils compared to not videoing it and trying to describe in words what the sim was doing. The forums have shown that people’s perceptions of stuttering do vary, so try to remove one variable and potentially introduce another. Didn’t realise the resolution of Game Bar was so bad. I think it can record FPS so will have a tinker with it.

Have to say that video is pretty much what I get the majority of the time as far as performance goes, unless I try my luck in the well known areas that do cause problems. I’ve pretty much got my system setup in a sweet spot that works well for what I’ve got. Little point in trying to get it to do the equivalent of blowing a basketball through a garden hose :astonished:

1 Like

Just a quick recap for the time being:

a) Most of you don’t see any change with Trees LOW or ULTRA:

• Either there is no real need for this setting because in practice Trees are so lightweight to render, or,
  • Regardless of the setting it takes as much resources which would indicate a bug, because LOW is supposed to take less resources, but your results seem to indicate they are taking as much (even if low).

b) Some of you do see a change of performance which can be significant:

• I’ve not looked in details where you’re all flying to, but there is a LOD Distance Ring bug where the closer to the equator, the farther the trees (COS(LAT) factor).
  • It is possible your hardware is overall just “below” the hardware of the ones not having a perf difference.

c) I’ve only tested and evaluated this in VR, and in this case I’m observing the reverse:

• Trees LOW are changing shape every frame like in the video above and are causing more micro stutters
  • Trees ULTRA are not changing shape (at least not as much) and there is much less micro stutters, even none, very often.

This is not scientific a test condition nor exact reporting, but I hope this little experiment reports will be sufficiently enticing for Asobo cross-checking the Trees rendering and settings, because they seem to be affecting users in very different ways, while one would expect they’ll be affecting most people the same (i.e. LOW = better perf, less stutters / ULTRA = lower perf, more stutters eventually)

Thank you all for your time with this, and don’t hesitate reporting more of your findings!

There are a lot more LOD problems to take care of

If anyone would like to have more control over vegetation render distance (maybe to test the effects of the load generated by trees), consider voting for and/or commenting on this wish-list topic:

Please add a ‘Vegetation render distance’ slider - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

My sim runs pretty smooth overall and the only time I really get stutters is coming in for a landing on final because trees are drawing. This is really noticeable coming in for a landing on 36R at KMCO. I thought it might be the high rez scenery for Orlando International so I uninstalled OIA and still, it’s those damm trees ruining my experience.

I think there are a lot of unnecessary tree’s being drawn and if they could get these under control then there would be performance benefits.

Tree’s being drawn inside/on top of photogrammetry buildings must be having an impact right? (this is not an isolated example of central Boston, there is A LOT of this.)

I think a vegetation DENSITY slider would be pretty handy. I would quite like to have my tree’s etc render a fair distance away, however I do think the tree density is a little overcooked. A lot of places look like primordial forest.

Yep Atlanta area especially too. Not necessarily the downtown area but in suburbs in the metro area and near KATL causing fps drops when facing the camera down over the trees.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.