Debugging and Crash Report Log

My main wish in connection with the current situation with incomprehensible CTD and other problems is to add a debug log, where everything about emerging problems will be written in general. This will help to identify which module led to the problem and what exactly influenced it. Plus all the bugs with community development. An illustrative example is implemented in X-Plane. Reading the log allows you to better understand the essence of the problem and more accurately describe the problem that has arisen. Well, when creating a ticket, the attached log will help in diagnostics.

I dont know why we need to resort to the windows 10 event log for errors as most of the time they are incredibly vague and meaningless.
Why not make an internal error log than runs in the background so the user can see what issues the sim has a problem with? X-plane does this well, and is a good resource to see conflicts. Other sims also use this, and is helpful for mod conflicts, or anything else the sim freaks out over. Cant imagine this would be too difficult to implement and would be very useful.

I agree.

Also show WTH the game is doing while there is a progress bar instead of ‘useless’ text snippets.

The developer mode does some logging, but not to the extent suggested with this thread. I think it’s a good idea, especially when it comes to all of those CTDs.

It’s not very useful to go to Event Viewer after the sim crashes and it says FlightSimulator.exe crashed.

1 Like

I was on the fence opening the same, but luckily I found this one! I am fiddling for 3 hours now to find the add-on that is crashing the Sim when I go to Honolulu (I have 0 add-ons at honolulu or in its vicinity. Just found out if I disable all my european add-ons, I can fly at Honolulu again.

It would really help if we could activate a log that spits out which files the sim loads, so one of the last entries should be from the responsible add-on. Much easier than turning stuff off and on for hours.

And it will get worse the more add-ons we get over the years.

Still fiddling with the crashes. Without a log you can not find them consistently. With the same addons it stopped crashing an hour ago, it does crash now, without any changes made anywhere. This is weird.

Please, give us a loading log :grimacing:

3 Likes

I agree!

We do need a logging facility in the simulator so that whenever there is a problem, we can try tracing back the probable root cause, otherwise when FS2020 is encountering a problem or when it just CTD, we’re left with no information to track down the root cause of the issue.

This information which would be in the form of a log file could not only be helping us solving the problems locally, but it would also be an invaluable tool for the developers in giving them an execution context and an history leading to the problem, with an orthogonal view to the actual failure from a code perspective.

For such facility to be effective, you could just leave it on always and logging many detailed events, including the ones generated from the add-ons the same way X-Plane11 is doing in its log file. If you make it an opt-in setting only, it is not as effective because it requires being able to repro.

Here is an example of where this might help:
The Initialization of VR Failed - Virtual Reality (VR) / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

When this is happening we don’t know whether it is FS2020, OpenXR, the headset driver failing. We don’t know either the probable causes, such as not enough VRam, API call error, etc…

8 Likes

We totally need this. I have so many addons, and though I use Addon Linker so that I can both more easily turn on “just what I need” for a given session, and do that fairly quickly, sitting through loads to see which mods cause the load hang for MSFS is soooooo frustratingly slow.

Surely this information should be relatively easily blasted out to a log, it’s incredibly irritating that it’s not there already. Even if it’s difficult to understand, I have faith that the community would figure it out …

Please!!!

2 Likes

This is a MUST to be honest. As of this moment, some user experiencing CTD and there is no way for us to debug further as we don’t have anything to look at :sleepy:

2 Likes

And allow us to send the log directly to Zendesk without any other requirements. Just click a button and it fills in all of the field that is needed and attaches crash logs.

3 Likes

After this weekends CTD issues which have affected many people a Crash.log or suchlike would go a long way to helping Asobo, a game of this magnitude with so many moving parts needs a descriptive log system.

This really should be something that doesn’t require “Votes” from the community before it registers with the Devs, this really should be something that is a top priority regardless, please add this in ASAP - to help Us to help You.

4 Likes

Well for some reason I can’t quote your text here, but you’re absolutely right when you say

“This really should be something that doesn’t require “Votes” from the community”

I remember countless times that someone in X-Plane had a problem with their setup that caused either crashes or just plain bad FPS. Many times, that file pinpointed the problem. Also, it would solve the problem of people claiming they have no active mods when they actually do - that happened a lot as well.

With the MSFS community we have here, I have no doubt that many of these problems could be solved if everyone had a log file to share with others.

3 Likes

Yes with even more addons coming on board, this is paramount. I struggle to believe it has only garnered 14 votes. Not even close to being on the wishlist radar.

1 Like

Any news on this from ASOBO? in X-Plane, almost every single issues can be solved by looking at the log file. Makes all our lives easier.

4 Likes

Certainly does and would LOVE to see a proper debuglog here for MSFS as well.

2 Likes

Zendesk doesn’t seem efficient to me. I like to report bugs, but I don’t like having to provide so much information every single time. Windows version, MSFS version, scroll through topics, type things in, upload pics and videos… All of that takes time and too many steps.

If there was an easier way to report bugs, perhaps through a UI in the sim or by hitting a key that would log that moment would be better? We could type in a description but not have to go through all of the steps.

I like reporting bugs. I find many of them. But, I usually don’t report all of them because it would take a lot of time that I don’t have, along with a lot of meticulous work that I don’t want to do for free.

Along those lines: If any of the developers are reading this, I’d be happy to work remotely as a professional bug finder/reporter. I’m good at it. My research and investigational skills are second-to-none :grinning:

What do you think?

One of my other Steam games in early access sends a crash report to the devs if you CTD. Would love this to be implemented into the sim.

1 Like

My experience as beta tester for many developers is, that forums work the best!

But one have to control and moderate the forums and there must be a very good structure.

For MSFS I would recommend, e.g. for every aircraft several sub-groups (AP, Flightmodell, Modelling, Textures, etc). Same for scenery which could be grouped by Continents and have sub-groups. And so on.

With such a system, everyone could easily find his bugs, see if the are already reported, they could be marked as “worked on or solved” and so on …

But I fear that would not happen

2 Likes

Many games nowadays feature automatically generated crash reports. Once a CTD is detected, these tools collect relevant data and bring up a screen which allows the user to enter a short text and have send or cancel buttons.
I believe MSFS would benefit from such a tool greatly. While a CTD is just a nuisance for normal games which are autosaved every few minutes, a CTD in MSFS often causes great frustration. Resuming a flight is not possible and it disrupts flight tracking software.
The advantages of such a tool are:
-It gives Asobo an indication how often CTDs occur. I doubt that everyone bothers to send every CTD to Zendesk, but if a complete CTD report is just a click away, Asobo will get a much better overview.
-The crash report includes relevant data for debugging, such as installed mods or where the crash occurred. I believe this will raise the quality of these reports compared to Zendesk tickets and allows Asobo to fix the crashes more easily.
-It gives user the feeling that something is done to address the CTDs. Right now you are just left in frustration and I often don’t feel like filling out a Zendesk ticket at that time. If a report is easily sent for every crash, I know that Asobo sees the crashes and will likely fix them in the future.

Pretty sure as MSFS 2020 is Microsoft and integrated with windows you should find the dump files are auto sending.

I would like to suggest a tool to be developed by the devs which captures the state of the sim and all associated system information at any given moment, and logs all this information into a file which can be sent to Asobo on Zendesk along with any other useful pieces of info such as a photo or video.

Here’s how I think the system should work.

1. There should be a button in the in-flight menu which acts as a sim state capture tool.

2. When we encounter a bug, we simply press this button

3. This makes the sim generate a file which has all the information about the sim settings such as graphics settings, online connectivity settings, cache information, current aircraft location coordinates, aircraft state, system specs, hardware info, peripheral info, flight path history etc.

4. This files conveniently captures all the vital information which can easily be used to localize and reproduce bugs which the common user would simply not bother to include as vital information in their Zendesk report.

5. We attach this file in our Zendesk report, add any screenshots/videos where necessary and submit it.

Is this particular issue happening only in a certain part of the world?, or only in a certain aircraft?, or only using this graphics card?, or only when a certain setting is turned on?. These questions can easily be answered when several sim state files are merged and accumulated and hence help the devs by giving a much more comprehensive picture about the bug.

These files can also stored in a database to parse and extract other meaningful information such as number of users experiencing this issue who have AA setting turned on/off for example, or when the yoke is pulled back 20% with a certain sensitivity setting in a certain aircraft.

With all this information, the devs can try several combinations of settings and hardware configurations to easily track and reproduce the bug.

Less time trying to find and reproduce the bug, more time actually fixing the bug. Win-win for both the devs and the community.