Use Azure to give ATC regional accents

Having every ATC in the world manned by Americans is immersion breaking and since Azure is supposed to be awesomely brilliant…not seen any evidence of this so far. Show me.

Hi

ATC live. Only two male voices?
I was hoping and wishing a few more with accent and without using an extern ATC programm in the future.

Thx
Max

1 Like

I shall add not only accents but also multiple languages and not just the one selected in your operating system.

As I understand FS2020 is using the operating system language for now. It would be better in my opinion to use the narrator language setting instead because it can be different than the language you’re using in the OS for the menus and the system (especially in multilingual countries).

A useful option would be for FS2020 to be using any Win10 Language pack we’d had downloaded/installed and offer a “master” language settings to set the language used by default everywhere, then, a localized language setting for the country you’re flying over.

As a bonus, FS2020 could automatically choose a language matching a specific country if your aircraft registration number (N number in the US) matches the country you’re flying over (for example French controllers used to speak in French sometimes with French aircraft pilots but if no longer ignore this example).

5 Likes

In general, English is spoken on ATC frequencies around the world.

The ATC English in MSFS is pseudo-American. Americans don’t say “decimal”. They say “point”. I would love for it to be “point” where people say “point” and “decimal” where people say “decimal”.

I would also love to hear accents. And female controllers, too. And not just one voice but a variety of voices so when you go from ground to tower to departure to center to approach to tower to ground, you keep hearing different voices, just as in the real world.

9 Likes

And the ability to choose a voice for your pilot too.

4 Likes

I think that we can distinguish the following accents in terms of listening different ethnicities speaking in English:
Latin (Latin America, Spain,Portugal)
French (France, parts of Canada)
Russian/Slavic (Russia, Slavic countries/Balcans)
English/American (Usa, Alaska)
English(Uk)
German ( Germany, Central Europe)
Italian (Italy)
Greek (Greece/Cyprus)
African (Africa)
Australian (Australia, New Zealand)
Eastern Asia (China/Japan)
Indian/ Central Asia (India, Pakistan,etc)
Muslim (Western Asia)
I am not completely aware of which countries sound similar when speaking in English…but Asobo could sort it out and create 12 or more general accents for ATC which would be present according to the location…
That would be quite realistic for me…

4 Likes

Here is something that bugs the hell out of me…

Wherever you are in the world ATC has an American accent. I don’t think it would be that hard to put in a few different English language accents in the system. Hell, my Garmin GPS could do that in the car 15 years ago - a voice synth with a British accent, Australian, even Beavis and Butthead.

Ideally, you would have English with Slavic, Indian, and Hispanic accents, and let’s say Queen’s English for the rest of the world outside of North America. It would help the immersion experience a lot I think.

5 Likes

In real life flying over diferent countries and regions and communicate with atc brings also diferent accents, it would be much interesting to hear russian english or eastern European accents when contacted atc, Germans also have specific accents, so this would be pretty cool feature for flying

4 Likes

Given that ASOBO is a French company, I was surprised that so many French airports have ‘anglicised’ pronunciations at best.

Is there any chance that our French developers might have an input into the pronunciations of these so that when the French update comes out they are corrected?

Thanks!

1 Like

Asobo are using technology from Microsoft Azure TTS.

Seems reasonable that they could introduce all the English language models with foriegn acoustic pronunciations. I didn’t spot one for English with French pronunciations (below) but they could use the Canadian (French) one instead.

I’m all for this - doesn’t seem like it would be difficult thing to add regional pronunciations in the English language and go on from there. I know Jorg has a lot to deal with right now but this is definately something I would set up a new team to implement - would increase immersion immensly! :slight_smile:

It would be great to hear the different accents of ATC/Pilots for the region you flight to, i.e, Spanish when entering Spain, African, Caribbean, British, French, or open this up for 2rd parties to have a go!

2 Likes

It would be also nice if ATC could randomly add some greetings or other words in local languages as well. This happens in real life too. Like for example ATC could greet you with “Bienvenue!” when entering a French speaking country.

3 Likes

I already would be thankful if there are more ATC variations/voices. (apart from the overall ATC overhaul to match real word procedures of course)

1 Like

Over in FSX I just used ProATC-X which has many more voices for ATC and adds many many many live recorded radio chatter based on the region you’re flying. In terms of immersion this has always been very complete to me.

ProATC-X is coming over to MSFS at some point.

Would be nice detail for sure. I was tthinking this at points during flights too…They all sound the same,Spanish,French,Dutch,German,… Regional accents might magnify the feeling you have passed a zone/“transitioned airspace”? & arrived at new country

1 Like

This is the main reason I turn the ATC volume right down as if it didn’t exist. It’s definitely enumeration breaking having exactly the same voice. Its irritating to say the least too, plus the fact it ATC doesn’t work properly half the time. Surely putting different voices in would t have been hard, even when this was released. Even if it was only a dozen different voices would be better than one!

1 Like

A bit late to this discussion, but I’ve been expecting/hoping for this too. It’s surely doable and has a huge reality immersion factor. I remember having a 3rd party add on that did it back in FS2002 I think. So long ago I can’t remember who did it but it was available. Surely 20 years later it should be there by default. I’m sure there would be volunteers around the world who could help record their accents.

2 Likes

Agreed, sick to death of American voices everywhere!
But I do use PF3-ATC which has different accents wherever you are flying. It’s not perfect and only works if you have a flightplan but it will do for now.

1 Like

It’s very strange, but am currently doing a trip from Amsterdam to Istanbul on PC in the A320NX, and am somewhere over Czech Republic, and for the first time I encountered some accented voices. I had a British English accent and one or two other maybe European sounding English accents. I do hope this is a sign of direction things are headed. Changes afoot in Azure land? Are there localised areas they are trying this out on? It was all US American English in UK/northern Europe earlier.

Edit : and now I’m back to US accents. What on earth was that? Passing air traffic? A glitch in the Matrix?

Yesterday I made a trip from LEAL to EHRD and coming in the Dutch airspace the American accent from ATC changed to a ditch accent which was not understandable at all. I thought it could have to do with the Windows 11 installation I did. I don’t know how to change the voices.