Pre/Post Patch 2 & 3 Screenshot Comparison

Hi everyone again. Ok, so after Patch 2, and lots of posts about differences in the visuals, I did a post comparing pre and post patch 2 screenshots. So after patch 3 and, guess what, a lot of posts about differences in the visuals, I now present to you an extended version of my previous post with new post patch 3 screenshots included for comparison.

TL;DR - As previously found, very little difference from pre to post patch 2. Trees slightly reduced, and possibly slight sharpening. From pre to post patch 3, the differences are small again - possibly further sharpening, possibly some slight lightening and water reflections are more muted. I can see no evidence of material downgrading of the visuals on my set up with my settings.

In order to try to objectively assess whether the detail has or hasn’t been turned down, I’ve recreate screenshots from before patch 2 and now also patch 3. Unfortunately this isn’t as easy as you might think as the weather/lighting etc can make the screenshots look quite different. However, I’ve had a go and you can judge for yourselves.

One thing that does need comment before we get into this is the wind and the waves. Unfortunately I don’t know what the wind speed was when I took the first pictures. What I do know is that generally I had to increase the wind speed to 15-20Kts to get similar wave effect pre patch 3. Post patch 3, however, that is more down at the 5-6Kts, so the wind : wave ration has definitely altered in patch 3 and feels more natural and gives waves at much lower wind settings. I thnk this is a good thing.

First off, here are my settings (Ultra everything with maxed out LODs, ground vehicles and shadows):

My rig:
i9 10900K
RTX 2080 Super
32Gb RAM
dedicated SSD for MSFS

As you can see from the screenshots, I’m getting 40+ FPS most places, although the numbers are artifically high as these screenshots were taken using SET PAUSE ON (NEVER use active pause!!) which obviously boosts the FPS as the plane isn’t moving.

Comparison 1 - near Reykjavik, Iceland
I really struggled to get the lighting the same on this one. However, see what you think.

PRE PATCH 2: Here is the original screenshot (taken 21 Aug)

PRE PATCH 3: Here is one taken 21 Sep

POST PATCH 3: and here is one taken today (30 Sep)

I struggle to see a lot of difference. Look at the far away shoreline. TBH hard to tell if this is down to the lighting more than anything else. The weather and lighting on this one is very hard to recreate.

Let’s look in a bit more detail and zoom in on the far shore

PRE PATCH 2:

PRE PATCH 3::

POST PATCH 3:

Far away detail maybe looking slightly better?

Comparison 2 - Hamilton, Lake Ontario

Did a better job with the lighting here (the live weather bug of showing only clear skies finally has a benefit :smile:)

PRE PATCH 2: 29 Aug

PRE PATCH 3: 21 Sep

POST PATCH 3: 30 Sep

Note that this is a PG area - and the quality is immense, both before and after. What I notice is that the trees in the pre patch 2 picture that overlap the road/bridge have gone after patch 2 and after patch 3. Also, to my eye, this hasn’t been a general killing of trees as the other trees in the screenshots look pretty much the same. See the changes here:

PRE PATCH 2:

PRE PATCH 3:

POST PATCH 3:

So this looks much the same from pre patch 3 to post patch 3 and better than pre patch 2.

Distance doesn’t look very diferent either:

PRE PATCH 2:

PRE PATCH 3:

POST PATCH 3:

These look pretty much identical to me

Comparison 3 - Michigan
Again, clear skies from live weather is our friend

Near identical as far as I can tell between the 3 pics. Looking way off into the distance shows this:

PRE PATCH 2

PRE PATCH 3

POST PATCH 3

I don’t see any material difference here at all, especially pre patch 3 to post patch 3. The latter 2 are both slightly sharper than pre patch 2.

Comparison 4 - Chicago

Again, near identical as far as I can see. Looking more closely at the distance

PRE PATCH 2:

PRE PATCH 3:

POST PATCH 3:

Post patch 3 looks slightly brighter and sharper maybe? I think I got about the same time of day and the right shadows, but definitely looks a little sharper.

Comparison 5 - Saba

OK, by popular request, I previously got asked to do a Saba comparisons, so I’ve included it this time around too.

PRE PATCH 2: 11 Sep

These look very similar, although the Post Patch 3 picture looks slightly lighter. This could be I just didn’t quite get the sun position the same.

However, the water reflection is definitely less pronounced post patch 3. It is hard to say that this isn’t realistic, but the reflection has definitely been toned down compared to both pre patch 2 and pre patch 3.

And up close

PRE PATCH 2:

PRE PATCH 3:

POST PATCH 3:

Again just seeing that slight lightening/sharpening effect. Again, I think I got the sun position as close as I could.

So there you go. As already noted, in patch 2 the trees were scaled back a bit, removed from overlapping some roads etc, and all of which the community aksed for after the initial launch. The only differences I can see from pre to post patch 3 are:

• maybe a little sharpening - but tiny if at all
  • maybe a little lightening, but again a subtle shift
  • water reflections toned down slightly

So, just to confirm that I don’t believe I have changed my settings at all pre and post, and the images I show as pre were taken on the dates shown. I have updated the nVidia drivers to the latest verison (456.55) - which may account for some of the change.

Hope this helps.

27 Likes

Great work, thank you. I don’t see any “dumbing down” in these pictures, although I myself thought it was happening after flying today.

Proves that “my opinion” can be dead wrong sometimes, even if we think that we know everything better :slight_smile:

Oh no, not you again. What are you trying to do? Are you happy if the issues Many Other Players have Never Gets attention and dont get fixed??!,

GREAT WORK ,

The best patch 2

The WORST PATCH the last 29 September, DOWNGRADE. quality textures and AA disabled

Thank you for all the screens!

The loss in water relfection is really bad.
Not only has reflection become very faint, but it also has heavily reduced LOD over distance.

1 Like

I think the water is way better. Looks more natural. These sharp ripples were terrible.
As for the reflections. Maybe they should bring it back slightly more, but at least the blur makes it more realistic to me.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree, the water looks more realistic, but the lighting might have a few new bugs.

I’m sure it will all be fixed soon!

Madrid Ultra settings 1080p 170 SCALING

Pathetic Downgrade

True. In terms of reflections, it’s hard to say which is more realistic though. The distant ones I didn’t spot.

This post is out of date

3 Likes

Just took these. I’ve never been to madrid so don’t know if it actually looks like this - although you can read the “Real Madrid” words on the roof of the stadium which is pretty cool. It doesn’t look like a downgrade to me.

5 Likes

And nVidia overlay does FPS which is what I use. Agree with all your steps, espoecially the community folder - this is a hornets nest of potential problems.

1 Like

you play in 4k or 2k i see, the problem is Antialiasing and textures in 1080p now after update.

2k yes. I don’t see any AA issues as you say.

Appreciate the screenshot work, thanks. I guess some people are having issues, but I myself do not see any downgraded visuals at all after this latest update. Nothing wrong with textures (other than Bing maps maybe just not having super quality maps to begin with, but no change there), no issues with AA, LOD, or reflections on water, etc. Heck, my biggest gripe with the visuals is that it still places street lights on rural country roads where they don’t belong.

Yes, the street light logic is a bit weird. I flew into a tiny airstrip in the Peruvian Andes where tje runway was longer than the main stretet in the village. Had a few roads leading out of town over the mountains - and every one was festooned with bright street lights at night. I’m 100% sure they barely had electricity up there, never mind street lights on the mountain roads.

I was thinking that the PG drawing distance might have something to do with the internet connection and servers? So even those people who have a fast connection but the server is slow where they are might also experience this issue? Just a thought? Some people clearly have PG drawing issues while others do not.

Could well be true. There is also some talk of the aircraft speed meanng the PG can’t load in quickly enough for faster jets - would be worse with slow internet or slow servers as you say

Water looks more realistic.

I’m happy to report facts and show actual data to back it up. You are welcome, of course, to share your own experience/data as that will undoubtedly be the best way to get the devs to be able to improve it for you. You are of course implying that I should pretend I have an issue or perhaps not share my experience so that issues you may be having get addressed. That is, of course, a false economy as it will lead the devs to believe that everyone has the problem and that will take them in the wrong direction looking for the solutions your speak. Of course, if you have no facts to back up your issues, then the devs won’t be able to help you either.

1 Like